LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:58 am The Current plan for National 2 was a start date in January, not sure if that will see the light of day unfortunately.
I imagine there will be increasing pressure for these clubs to be allowed to play and use the same restrictions as non-league football. Get a couple hundred socially distanced fans in. National 1 might get the same treatment.

The Championship is a bit tougher.

Pressure will continue to mount as there's the real threat the clubs just won't survive Covid if there's no games and some fans allowed in.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by JP14 »

We have to have fans in soon, or otherwise we'll get to a point where English sport will never be able to recover!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:23 am We have to have fans in soon, or otherwise we'll get to a point where English sport will never be able to recover!
Given sports have survived two world wars, and several pandemics, I feel more positive than you young JP14. I know it’s depressing but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

teds wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:23 am We have to have fans in soon, or otherwise we'll get to a point where English sport will never be able to recover!
Given sports have survived two world wars, and several pandemics, I feel more positive than you young JP14. I know it’s depressing but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Trouble with a light at the end of the tunnel, is it could be a train coming the other way.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm
Trouble with a light at the end of the tunnel, is it could be a train coming the other way.
Great news. Somebody has found the tunnel.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

At the time of the last pandemic of this proportion or those world wars the sums of money involved even in top level sport were much lower than they are now. I have, for example, little fear that Bishopton RFC will survive the pandemic because the few hundred people involved in the club can dig it out of pretty much any hole it is likely to get its self into. Leicester FC on the other hand is losing what, close to a million a month, it'll take a hell of a lot of us dig the club out of that size of hole...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Crofty wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 pm
At the time of the last pandemic of this proportion or those world wars the sums of money involved even in top level sport were much lower than they are now. I have, for example, little fear that Bishopton RFC will survive the pandemic because the few hundred people involved in the club can dig it out of pretty much any hole it is likely to get its self into. Leicester FC on the other hand is losing what, close to a million a month, it'll take a hell of a lot of us dig the club out of that size of hole...
Very true, some people must have the virus as they are struggling to smell the coffee.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Very true, some people must have the virus as they are struggling to smell the coffee.
Depends what JP14 means by "never able to recover". Sport in England might be different after Covid and things might not get back to how they were in the short term with regards to player salaries etc, but I'm sure sport will still exist in a very similar structure. What do we think will happen if Tigers go out of business? The stadium remains empty or is demolished and professional rugby no longer exists in Leicester? Or perhaps more likely a new club is formed with the same stadium and a remarkably similar name...
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Oh WRFC, I don’t think I am struggling to smell the coffee, just trying to be objective.

There is a difference between saying sport will recover and saying that each and every rugby club will bounce straight back without any pain. There is clearly a risk to clubs, and indeed, I am less confident than Crofty that the pain will be limited to the premiership clubs. But equally to claim there sport will never recover, seems overly pessimistic.

We are very fortunate to have a strong board, and the recent announcements around new sponsorships/partnerships certainly reassures me that no matter how bad it might be over the next 6-18 months, there will be a strong chance of Tigers survival. Moreover I expect mid term we will see recovery for most clubs, and for the sport as a whole.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Depends what JP14 means by "never able to recover". Sport in England might be different after Covid and things might not get back to how they were in the short term with regards to player salaries etc, but I'm sure sport will still exist in a very similar structure. What do we think will happen if Tigers go out of business? The stadium remains empty or is demolished and professional rugby no longer exists in Leicester? Or perhaps more likely a new club is formed with the same stadium and a remarkably similar name...
Would it be a good idea to start a new thread for potential names? In this era where everything is 'sold' for a price, I'd guess a sponsor's name might be included. Everard's Tigers. Mattioli Mountain Lions. Stihl Slugs.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RichieB wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Would it be a good idea to start a new thread for potential names? In this era where everything is 'sold' for a price, I'd guess a sponsor's name might be included. Everard's Tigers. Mattioli Mountain Lions. Stihl Slugs.
My vote goes to Leicester Tiglons :smt023
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Leicester Tigiollis
I'm not cynical just experienced
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

On the way we have performed under Murphy, Leicester Twiglets.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

What league level would that team start at though?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Professional sport may not be the same for a long time.

This begs the question as to what is more important- a handful of players making a lot of money for themselves and TV companies or the vastly greater numbers of amateurs who play for recreation and fitness?

So long as grassroots play survives we may have to settle for that.