LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just wondering if I've missed it or we don't currently know as yet:

David Williams
Was his loan just for the end of 19/20 or does it cover 20/21 season?
If it was just 19/20, have we either extended the loan or signed him permanently for 20/21 season?

Also I notice from the rugby paper saying we ideally wanted a scrum coach in by this Monday, that the club's (official) preseason starts Monday.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:26 am Just wondering if I've missed it or we don't currently know as yet:

David Williams
Was his loan just for the end of 19/20 or does it cover 20/21 season?
If it was just 19/20, have we either extended the loan or signed him permanently for 20/21 season?

Also I notice from the rugby paper saying we ideally wanted a scrum coach in by this Monday, that the club's (official) preseason starts Monday.
Given Nottingham's tough financial position I'm sure we could come to an arrangement if we want to. Something along the lines of we'll keep Williams on loan and but send two or three development players the other way on loan to boost their squad numbers. Vanes, Dimen, Chessum, Smith, Hardwick, Owolfela could all benefit from a little Championship game time for various reasons.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:05 am Given Nottingham's tough financial position I'm sure we could come to an arrangement if we want to. Something along the lines of we'll keep Williams on loan and but send two or three development players the other way on loan to boost their squad numbers. Vanes, Dimen, Chessum, Smith, Hardwick, Owolfela could all benefit from a little Championship game time for various reasons.
Of those you have named I'm really not sure how much more 'development' the club would be prepared to put into Olowofela?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

fentiger wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:29 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:05 am Given Nottingham's tough financial position I'm sure we could come to an arrangement if we want to. Something along the lines of we'll keep Williams on loan and but send two or three development players the other way on loan to boost their squad numbers. Vanes, Dimen, Chessum, Smith, Hardwick, Owolfela could all benefit from a little Championship game time for various reasons.
Of those you have named I'm really not sure how much more 'development' the club would be prepared to put into Olowofela?
I've been one of his big enough critics, but I'd be happy to send him to the Championship for a year. I assume he still has a contract so it's better than him not playing at all. You never know, it might even be the making of him.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Lions v Cheetahs game is off due to Covid in the Lion's squad but they are going to try to re-arrange it so let's hope that it doesn't affect the time Wiese can leave the country.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:29 am
I think his biggest issue is confidence. He goes down to the Championship and scores tries for fun. Starts backing himself and trusting his instincts instead over thinking things. Could then come back to us and be the player we need him to be.

He's shown flashes of very good play for us but has stopped coming off his wing looking for work and just generally looks nervy. I think a run of games for Notts might do him good and he'd be a player Notts should be keen to borrow. The club are looking at acquiring wingers (allegedly) so the chance to bring on one of our own would be tempting.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Worth, Hardwick and Olowofela have had more than enough chances. They just are not nearly good enough. Sad but true.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

fortysix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm Worth, Hardwick and Olowofela have had more than enough chances. They just are not nearly good enough. Sad but true.
Worth has suffered from not playing in one position, to me he is a dependable 15, on a filthy wet night he is the type of 15 you need.
Hardwick is obviously talented but maybe attitude is the issue.
Olowofela is a mystery, he has all the ingredients but something isn't quite clicking.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There is little point in loaning players to Championship clubs for game time until there is some idea of when Championship matches will be played. George Worth has played many times ib several different positions, he has had some good games and with the rest of the team some not so good, in my opinion a player very well worth keeping as a squad member. Hardwick pre lockdown had some good games for us and showed excellent temperament in landing crucial kicks at goal on a few occasions, I have no idea why he has not been used more since the restart. Olowofela is another player who I have seen play O.K at fullback, on the wing and in the centre, he certainly needs to improve his tackling but he is quick and runs some good lines, I am syrprised that like Hardwick he has not been used more under Borthwick, obviously recent signings and the development of Steward affect his opportunities but I personally would select him ahead of Williams who is on loan from Nottingham, that is not intended as a criticism of Williams, more as vote of support of a player contracted to us.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Guess we also have to look at the context of (relatively) inexperienced and younger players coming into a struggling side.This is never an easy task , and it is far simpler being integrated into a successful side , but sooner or later in professional sport its either 'pass' or 'fail'..
This makes the progress of Steward that much more encouraging.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Looks like former academy lads Luke Phoneix and Ollie Smith are both joining Loughborough students.
Sure the club will be keeping an eye on them.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:16 pm Looks like former academy lads Luke Phoneix and Ollie Smith are both joining Loughborough students.
Will Loughborough Students be playing soon?
Semper in excretia
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:16 pm Looks like former academy lads Luke Phoneix and Ollie Smith are both joining Loughborough students.
I could be wrong, but the last I heard they were trying to play a shortened BUCS Super Rugby season - so they could be playing for the Uni in that; when and if it starts.

I know pre-lockdown in Wales a week or so ago my uni, Cardiff Met were back in training - halted for the time being though.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:02 pm
Robespierre wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:41 pm
I could be wrong, but the last I heard they were trying to play a shortened BUCS Super Rugby season - so they could be playing for the Uni in that; when and if it starts.

I know pre-lockdown in Wales a week or so ago my uni, Cardiff Met were back in training - halted for the time being though.
I don't believe that National League rugby (Loughborough Students are in National 2 North) has begun yet, and I'd would have thought that it'd be unlikely in the near future.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The Current plan for National 2 was a start date in January, not sure if that will see the light of day unfortunately.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni