LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tiglon »

I was joking when I said Nadolo could play anywhere. Leave him on the wing. Leave everyone in their best positions.

Scott is playing really well at 12, leave him at 12.

We have a very good 13 coming, Moroni. Murimurivalu can do a job there until he arrives.

When you try to be too clever all the time things go wrong. Simplicity, please.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:25 am He’s contracted to join end of October.
Both Cheetahs and Tigers have confirmed that.
Okay thank you.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 am Anyone who remembers his try versus England in 2015 will know he is good enough in the air, in fact that try is pretty much an exact replica of his relative Lote Tuquiri in the ‘03 final. Personally I think Ford is too used to having Jonny May chase his kicks, so, understandably, it will take some time to adapt.
He was in his mid 20s then and not quite the colossus he is now. My only proviso to him playing 13 is if he can cut it in defence. 13 for me is preferable to 12 as he won’t have the back row lining him up.
Not sure how much weight he has gained since then, if any it’s minimal, especially considering that’s he been slimmed down since joining Tigers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The only thing I would change is using Taute as back up 12 to Scott. Not quick enough for the 13 channel but definitely good enough defensively for the 12 channel. We could use him in a Brad Barritt role
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:51 pm
Dokie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 am Anyone who remembers his try versus England in 2015 will know he is good enough in the air, in fact that try is pretty much an exact replica of his relative Lote Tuquiri in the ‘03 final. Personally I think Ford is too used to having Jonny May chase his kicks, so, understandably, it will take some time to adapt.
He was in his mid 20s then and not quite the colossus he is now. My only proviso to him playing 13 is if he can cut it in defence. 13 for me is preferable to 12 as he won’t have the back row lining him up.
Not sure how much weight he has gained since then, if any it’s minimal, especially considering that’s he been slimmed down since joining Tigers.
Google images of when he played for Crusaders in 2016. You might notice a slightly different body shape 😉
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

According to stats Nadolo is 2KG lighter now than in 2015.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 pm According to stats Nadolo is 2KG lighter now than in 2015.
There’s stats and there’s the camera never lies! What was the old political quote about damn lies and statistics.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Given the lack of experience we will have in the halfbacks when Youngs and Ford are with England I would honestly leap at Wigglesworth signing for a season as a player/coach. We've lost Mele who was our scrum-half coach and Wigglesworth would give us an experienced head to rotate with White and help coach the youngsters.

If Simmons is playing in the back three more then depth could be needed anyway with Youngs likely missing for half our Premiership games.

There's talent at 9 but little experience. If Wigglesworth signed but White and JvP were performing well we could pick them ahead of him anyway. If the side are struggling in the forwards and the halfbacks are getting no front foot ball then Wigglesworth's experience and kicking could be invaluable to a side with a kick heavy game plan.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

ABClub wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:42 pm Given the lack of experience we will have in the halfbacks when Youngs and Ford are with England I would honestly leap at Wigglesworth signing for a season as a player/coach. We've lost Mele who was our scrum-half coach and Wigglesworth would give us an experienced head to rotate with White and help coach the youngsters.

If Simmons is playing in the back three more then depth could be needed anyway with Youngs likely missing for half our Premiership games.

There's talent at 9 but little experience. If Wigglesworth signed but White and JvP were performing well we could pick them ahead of him anyway. If the side are struggling in the forwards and the halfbacks are getting no front foot ball then Wigglesworth's experience and kicking could be invaluable to a side with a kick heavy game plan.
ABC where has this Wigglesworth suggestion come from? Have you heard or seen something? Or is it just one of your own ideas? I'm not saying it's a bad idea. In fact, as you say, it could work well for us - availability, salary cap and other plans permitting.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So I think the 6N and the autumn international squads are now almost all announced we know who we're losing (apart from probably Mamu for Georgia, unless I've missed the announcement)

What do we reckon our team looks like for the international period

15. Steward
14. Van Wyk
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Henry
9. White
1. Gienga
2. Clare
3. Leatigaga
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Wallace
7. Reffell
8. Liebenberg

16. Kerr
17. Bower
18. Heyes (if released)/Dimen
19. Henderson
20. Brink (if fit)/T.Smith
21. Simmons/JVP
22. McPhillips/Hardwick
23. Taute/Williams

The backs on the bench depends on who you want covering what position. Ie with Simmons covering back 3 and 9 McPhillips and Taute cover FH centre.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think England only announced a training squad for a 3 day session last week. We don't know who will actually be in the squad to finish the 6 Nations and play the Autumn 6+2 Nations.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:01 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:42 pm Given the lack of experience we will have in the halfbacks when Youngs and Ford are with England I would honestly leap at Wigglesworth signing for a season as a player/coach. We've lost Mele who was our scrum-half coach and Wigglesworth would give us an experienced head to rotate with White and help coach the youngsters.

ABC where has this Wigglesworth suggestion come from? Have you heard or seen something? Or is it just one of your own ideas? I'm not saying it's a bad idea. In fact, as you say, it could work well for us - availability, salary cap and other plans permitting.
Just thinking out loud (or typing online...), crumbie.

Wigglesworth hasn't had a destination announced yet but he's stated that he wants to keep playing but also has an eye on coaching. He's still one of the most consistent scrum-halves in the league so will surely find a club. A player-coach role here could fit well.

I thought Falcons might go for him as a Takalua replacement but they've brought in Schreuder.

A return to Sale could be an option as Wigglesworth would be a big step-up on Cliff as second choice but Faf will be available for all but the first 3 Premiership rounds anyway. Plus they must be right at the cap by now.

I do rate White and JvP (I've seen little of Law since the U18s) but more experience in the halfbacks wouldn't go amiss when we will lose Lenny and Ford for half the season.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:10 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Just thinking out loud (or typing online...), crumbie.

Wigglesworth hasn't had a destination announced yet but he's stated that he wants to keep playing but also has an eye on coaching. He's still one of the most consistent scrum-halves in the league so will surely find a club. A player-coach role here could fit well.

I thought Falcons might go for him as a Takalua replacement but they've brought in Schreuder.

A return to Sale could be an option as Wigglesworth would be a big step-up on Cliff as second choice but Faf will be available for all but the first 3 Premiership rounds anyway. Plus they must be right at the cap by now.

I do rate White and JvP (I've seen little of Law since the U18s) but more experience in the halfbacks wouldn't go amiss when we will lose Lenny and Ford for half the season.
Incidentally, for the game we are currently attempting to play Wigglesworth would fit the bill perfectly and could perhaps give every Scrum half at The Club a few pointers as to how to kick for possession ,territory and advantage...years of practice..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:23 pm So I think the 6N and the autumn international squads are now almost all announced we know who we're losing (apart from probably Mamu for Georgia, unless I've missed the announcement)

What do we reckon our team looks like for the international period

15. Steward
14. Van Wyk
13. Porter
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Henry
9. White
1. Gienga
2. Clare
3. Leatigaga
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Wallace
7. Reffell
8. Liebenberg

16. Kerr
17. Bower
18. Heyes (if released)/Dimen
19. Henderson
20. Brink (if fit)/T.Smith
21. Simmons/JVP
22. McPhillips/Hardwick
23. Taute/Williams

The backs on the bench depends on who you want covering what position. Ie with Simmons covering back 3 and 9 McPhillips and Taute cover FH centre.
Don't think you are too far out but I don't think Cole will be away with England
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Oh No, not another kicking scrum half! :smt022