LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tiglon »

Maybe Olowofela has lost confidence because of all the unfair positions all the mean people have put him in.

Or maybe he's just not good enough.

Why do we have to believe that every Tigers academy graduate who appears for England U20s is a brilliant player, despite all the evidence in front of us? Olowofela isn't good enough, Hardwick isn't good enough and, after watching him taken apart by the averageness of Yann Thomas, Heyes isn't good enough either.

Look at Refell and Steward - that's what promising players look like. Have either of them had an easy ride? Not even close, but their quality shines through.

Surely anyone who's been on this forum for a few years can remember all the hype around Charlie Thacker (why won't anyone just give him a chance??), Odogwu and countless other academy graduates who simply weren't good enough at this level.

How many top players struggled in their first 20 premiership appearances? Seriously, give me just one name.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by JP14 »

Heyes needs time with Walters, Hardwick (attitude depending) is worth keeping, Olowofela the jury was out but could do with going somewhere else.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Heyes is only 21 and you shouldn’t write off a prop in their early 20s. He’s already proven he can mix it in the premiership at the set pierce. Yes he was poor against Bristol, but I’ve no doubt he’ll get better. I’m sure in a few years he’ll be a staple premiership standard tighthead.

The likes of Worth, Hardwick and Olowofela all have much to prove. I used to think Worth was a solid and dependable 15, wouldn’t set the world on fire but you could rely on him at the back. He’s played well in the past but don’t think it helps playing 12, 13 and 15. Needs to concentrate on one position and we’ll always need squad players.

Hardwick I’ve said could be a very good 12, in the Mills sort of player. But he needs to put the work in, hopefully for the new season he’ll come in firing on all cylinders.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:30 am Heyes is only 21 and you shouldn’t write off a prop in their early 20s. He’s already proven he can mix it in the premiership at the set pierce. Yes he was poor against Bristol, but I’ve no doubt he’ll get better. I’m sure in a few years he’ll be a staple premiership standard tighthead.
I actually think Heyes could be an international tighthead after a bit more development. Dan Cole when he first came into the team wasn't a scrummaging master, he developed and improved including a loan at Bedford. Joe Heyes has nearly 50 appearances at only 21, he's definitely got something I just don't think he's looked his best post lockdown. A bit of pre season before next season kicks off should hopefully see his form pick back up.
Tiglon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:24 pm Surely anyone who's been on this forum for a few years can remember all the hype around Charlie Thacker (why won't anyone just give him a chance??), Odogwu and countless other academy graduates who simply weren't good enough at this level.

How many top players struggled in their first 20 premiership appearances? Seriously, give me just one name.
I don't remember anybody wanting Charlie Thacker to get more game time. In fact I remember the common theme at the time being he's squad cover that'll end up in the Championship. Odogwu has done ok but has had some serious knee injuries which is likely to badly effect his career.

Scott Steele is doing well down in Quins. Some talk of him being more than a squad player for them. He was a later developer having not looked up to much here and then moving to LI where he was in and out the team.

Balmain struggled for regular game time here but has been a very reliable and solid tighthead for Gloucester.

Lewington has done well for himself after we repeatedly gave older imports game time over him causing him to leave. Will have enjoyed last season at Sarries, this season less so though he has developed his game further.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Heyes needs to play rugby at a lower level for a good period of time.
Any level will do, he just needs to learn to play.
Sometimes you've got to go backwards to go forwards.
He's a big lad who may still yet develop some more physically but he definitely needs to develop his game.
Hardwick I'm unsure of.
Olowafela has pace but he doesn't have the physicality of someone like Steward and so needs to either develop physically for some confidence or try to develop other areas of his game to another level to beat contact such as acceleration and footwork similar to how Johnny May did.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I pretty much agree with BFG; Heyes is tall for a tighthead being a strong teenager he got away with things that he will not get away with against experienced equally strong men, he has to and i am sure will develop technique, judge him in two or three years time. Hardwick I actually rate and I think he could well develop into a very good inside centre IF his attitude is right but he needs to be given more game time. Olowofela is quick, I don't think he is the type that can easily bulk up but he too needs time on the pitch to develop confidence and his tackling does need to improve.
Not all, probably not even the majority of Under 20's internationals become established Premiership players and even fewer go on to get full caps but we fans have to accept that they will need time to mature physically and to develop as players, all are different some will be ready at 19 or 20 others may need another three or four years some will plateau at 21 other will still be improving at 31. Coaches need crystal balls, supporters will make do with hindsight.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Leicester sign Fofana.

Good one for City. Always thought Fofana the rugby player would have done well alongside Manu.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54388230
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:24 pm Maybe Olowofela has lost confidence because of all the unfair positions all the mean people have put him in.

Or maybe he's just not good enough.

Why do we have to believe that every Tigers academy graduate who appears for England U20s is a brilliant player, despite all the evidence in front of us? Olowofela isn't good enough, Hardwick isn't good enough and, after watching him taken apart by the averageness of Yann Thomas, Heyes isn't good enough either.

Look at Refell and Steward - that's what promising players look like. Have either of them had an easy ride? Not even close, but their quality shines through.

Surely anyone who's been on this forum for a few years can remember all the hype around Charlie Thacker (why won't anyone just give him a chance??), Odogwu and countless other academy graduates who simply weren't good enough at this level.

Agree completely. Very very very few exceptions. Ben Youngs looked the part age 17. So too Harry Ellis. George Ford was sheer class aged 19 /20 etc. Ditto Croft, Moody, Healey, Kay.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Shouldn’t be about will they perhaps make the grade. It should be do you see them in a future Premiership winning side which is were Tigers should be. And I’m no expert but those youngsters that are in Premiership top sides I’ve seen over the professional era were performing well almost from day one. And that is particularly true of Tigers. The problem with MOC et al were they didn’t just not give the average the opportunity, they even let the very talented go in preference for journeymen.

Obviously there are a few exceptions to this - the time it takes a prop to learn the dark arts for example. And yes you do get the late developer. But in this recent unique period some youngsters have shown they are extremely talented; and some have shown they could have what it takes and perhaps need a few years in the lower divisions or as a squad lower choice being mentored. But sadly some mentioned have been given plenty of opportunity and shown to be average at best - average doesn't win titles. It keeps us in 11th and worse.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Matías Moroni is ruled out of the rugby championship as he has sprained knee ligaments.

https://twitter.com/argentina_2027/stat ... 15491?s=21
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:19 pm Matías Moroni is ruled out of the rugby championship as he has sprained knee ligaments.

https://twitter.com/argentina_2027/stat ... 15491?s=21
Gigena is free for Tigers start to the season as he is not included in the Pumas roster.

Diaz Bonilla, however, is included so is unlikely to be available to Tigers until the New Year...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I know we were rumoured to be looking at another 13 but surely now we need to pull the trigger and bring one in.

Bit of a blow that Bonilla has been picked too. Looks like McPhillips or Hardwick will be on the bench during the international periods.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Ref Heyes its important to remember who he is playing with. In his 8 league starts they've all been with the back up pack/in the international window. His other starts are pretty similar. I'd like to see him get 45 mins with the main pack to get a bit more of a feel for his level.

Agree on Olowofela though, his defence and general reading of the game in attack and defence needs to improve. He's had 41 first team games to score 6 tries. Not enough. Wouldn't write him off but he needs to spend at least 10 games in the champ, play regularly and improve on these areas.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby Paper saying
We are looking for a big ball carrying lock "With significant physical presence" to cover for Lavanini

Also looking for a Loosehead and have been looking in Aus and SA.

Lock would be good especially with Martin out on top of Lavanini not many ball carriers left in the lock department.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:05 pm Rugby Paper saying
We are looking for a big ball carrying lock "With significant physical presence" to cover for Lavanini

Also looking for a Loosehead and have been looking in Aus and SA.

Lock would be good especially with Martin out on top of Lavanini not many ball carriers left in the lock department.
George Merrick?
Semper in excretia