LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Knightonian »

I would suggest that if they don’t play next week either the writing is on the wall (unless they signed 2 year Covid contract extensions -anyone know)
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tiglon »

Assuming they still both have contracts for next season, it's most likely a case of "you're not showing enough or working hard enough, go and have a think about your future and show us who you are when you return next season - last chance".

Or perhaps just "you're free to find new clubs..."

To be brutally honest, neither has played well enough to deserve a place in the team. I get the impression (but might be completely wrong) that neither has the work rate or attitude demanded by Borthwick.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:38 pm Assuming they still both have contracts for next season, it's most likely a case of "you're not showing enough or working hard enough, go and have a think about your future and show us who you are when you return next season - last chance".

Or perhaps just "you're free to find new clubs..."

To be brutally honest, neither has played well enough to deserve a place in the team. I get the impression (but might be completely wrong) that neither has the work rate or attitude demanded by Borthwick.
Possibly so, although Hardwick has shown some good touches in the fleeting appearances he has made he's not done enough to nail down either the 10 or 12 slot.

As for Olowofela - sad to say I've never been impressed with his performances. The one thing that has stuck with me is that he came in with a rep of being rapid and I've never seen it. Austin's commentary as he laboured over the line at HQ against Saints was that he looked like he had a fridge on his back sums it up for me.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Reading between the lines other players have tried harder. For me olowofela needs 2 of strength, speed or defence but struggles for one. Hardwick still has potential, but needs to put in the work and can still have a future. In normal times, I would loan out both with Jordan given instruction to bulk up.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The thing with Olowofela is that he had the speed, just for some reason he has lost it. I think I remember Brett Deacon perhaps saying somewhere that when the twins came through the academy they had know-it-all attitude problems which were addressed... doubt that has much relevance though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Downsouth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:10 pm Reading between the lines other players have tried harder. For me olowofela needs 2 of strength, speed or defence but struggles for one. Hardwick still has potential, but needs to put in the work and can still have a future. In normal times, I would loan out both with Jordan given instruction to bulk up.
I think both could do with some loan time. Hardwick has been asked to concentrate on playing 12 and seemingly leading the defence. He struggled with that at Glaws, though wouldn't be the first to struggle against a Cipriani backline. Sometime in the Championship playing 12, working on organising a defence at senior level would probably do him some good. He's got all the attributes and skills just needs to get some experience playing 12 regularly.

Owolfela just looks bereft of confidence. Putting him into the Championship where he can score lots of tries might be the best thing for him. He's not anywhere close to playing the type of game he did when he first came into the side or when he was playing for the England under 20s. He hugs the touchline and waits for chances to be passed his way instead of joining the line and running angles. A couple of good games would do wonders for him.

If we have agreements with Nottingham who are now part time both should get lots of game time.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Know nothing at all regarding JO, but a friend told me, so it is just a rumour, regarding Hardwick, that a lady relative who is a supporter, was chatting to him recently and he said he was only staying at Tigers for the money. I know I am passing on unsubstantiated comments but it would perhaps give a reason for him not being chosen.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder if recent news might mean we could get Wiese in earlier?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Possibly, but what is the future for the Cheetahs? It seems that they are not one of the four teams looking to join the Pro14, and therefore might look to stay in an amended form of Super Rugby.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm Possibly, but what is the future for the Cheetahs? It seems that they are not one of the four teams looking to join the Pro14, and therefore might look to stay in an amended form of Super Rugby.
Sounds like they MIGHT join whatever the new super rugby comp will look like and the new SA domestic competitions.
with Wiese contracted start of November hoping that McGinity is on the phone to bring him in for the preseason.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 am
Downsouth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:10 pm Reading between the lines other players have tried harder. For me olowofela needs 2 of strength, speed or defence but struggles for one. Hardwick still has potential, but needs to put in the work and can still have a future. In normal times, I would loan out both with Jordan given instruction to bulk up.
I think both could do with some loan time. Hardwick has been asked to concentrate on playing 12 and seemingly leading the defence. He struggled with that at Glaws, though wouldn't be the first to struggle against a Cipriani backline. Sometime in the Championship playing 12, working on organising a defence at senior level would probably do him some good. He's got all the attributes and skills just needs to get some experience playing 12 regularly.

Owolfela just looks bereft of confidence. Putting him into the Championship where he can score lots of tries might be the best thing for him. He's not anywhere close to playing the type of game he did when he first came into the side or when he was playing for the England under 20s. He hugs the touchline and waits for chances to be passed his way instead of joining the line and running angles. A couple of good games would do wonders for him.

If we have agreements with Nottingham who are now part time both should get lots of game time.
I think the opposite re Olowofela. To me he looks like someone with too much confidence after years of scoring tries for fun at age grades. He's used to things coming easily and it shows.

He needs to stay where he is and put in the work, not sent somewhere for an easier ride.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 pm

I think the opposite re Olowofela. To me he looks like someone with too much confidence after years of scoring tries for fun at age grades. He's used to things coming easily and it shows.

He needs to stay where he is and put in the work, not sent somewhere for an easier ride.
Nothing in Owolfela's recent performances show any hint of confidence. Confident wingers won't hide out on the wing not looking to get involved. Even when we had the Premiership's premier speedster in May he didn't hang around out wide all game. Owolfela when I watched him play for England under 20s at the JWC came off his wing a lot, more than half his carries were him cutting an inside line off the 10, an outside arc through the 13 channel or linking up with forwards who'd made a half break. We've not seen any of that since the restart which is a real shame because I think he's best using his speed and footwork to exploit gaps or slow defenders.

Confidence is a big thing for back three players. If you've not got it you dread the high balls coming your way and aren't going to put yourself out there looking for work. If you've got confidence then you back yourself to make something happen so go looking for passes and relish the kicks coming your way.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Nothing in Owolfela's recent performances show any hint of confidence. Confident wingers won't hide out on the wing not looking to get involved. Even when we had the Premiership's premier speedster in May he didn't hang around out wide all game. Owolfela when I watched him play for England under 20s at the JWC came off his wing a lot, more than half his carries were him cutting an inside line off the 10, an outside arc through the 13 channel or linking up with forwards who'd made a half break. We've not seen any of that since the restart which is a real shame because I think he's best using his speed and footwork to exploit gaps or slow defenders.

Confidence is a big thing for back three players. If you've not got it you dread the high balls coming your way and aren't going to put yourself out there looking for work. If you've got confidence then you back yourself to make something happen so go looking for passes and relish the kicks coming your way.
Honestly, in the first quarter of his first premiership game he got every ounce of confidence knocked out of him when he attempted a tackle. He was completely flattened right in front of where I was sat, I don’t believe he ever got over that.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:32 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Honestly, in the first quarter of his first premiership game he got every ounce of confidence knocked out of him when he attempted a tackle. He was completely flattened right in front of where I was sat, I don’t believe he ever got over that.
Was that when he was playing 15 and got subjected to an aerial bombardment with no help from his wingers? A torrid game for him to make his debut in.

Makes a big difference, if you look at Steward who came through his first start well, he's just grown in confidence in each game since and now looks like he'll hold the 15 shirt for the next decade and a bit. Obviously he has the advantage of being built like a lock but confidence does play a key part.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I can see Steward playing 13 long term.
To win is not as important as playing with style!