LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Crivvens »

AshbyTiger wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:12 pm Interesting in the article on the website that he is a back up to Ford, Henry and McPhilips.

Does this suggest we see Henry as more of a 15 or because he is covering both we need extra bodies?

Hardwick now considered a centre as Radio Leicester suggesting?
It say's he'll add depth alongside the others you mention, not as a back up to them i.e. 4th in line. I'd imagine he'd be competing with Henry for that spot in the team when Ford isn't playing, with McPhillips being given more time to develop.

And yes, I'd agree that Hardwick must be being considered a centre, he's not mentioned by Geordie in that article when fly halves were discussed.
Blimey...
AshbyTiger

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by AshbyTiger »

Crivvens wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:17 pm
AshbyTiger wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:12 pm Interesting in the article on the website that he is a back up to Ford, Henry and McPhilips.

Does this suggest we see Henry as more of a 15 or because he is covering both we need extra bodies?

Hardwick now considered a centre as Radio Leicester suggesting?
It say's he'll add depth alongside the others you mention, not as a back up to them i.e. 4th in line. I'd imagine he'd be competing with Henry for that spot in the team when Ford isn't playing.

And yes, I'd agree that Hardwick must be being considered a centre, he's not mentioned by Geordie in that article when fly halves were discussed.
Apologies, got my terms wrong - didn't mean to imply order of lineage!

But yes, interesting that Hardwick not mentioned. As another poster has said what does this imply for McPhilips?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I've always like having a 3rd 10 who was more experienced.

For fly half I've always liked the balance of
Starter = Top class
Back up = Young talent
3rd choice = Cheap Experienced head.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's nice to have options rather than looking for my boots in case I'm needed, depth, yoof and quality in key positions sounds like a plan to me, another thing that perhaps has been missing in recent times.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm It's nice to have options rather than looking for my boots in case I'm needed, depth, yoof and quality in key positions sounds like a plan to me, another thing that perhaps has been missing in recent times.
Agree. Sounds like a sensible signing IMO.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Is he a signing we were expecting or an out of the blue signing?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I see this as a realistic approach to the amount of time Jorge will be away with England next year

With so many Argentinians we will need to bring in the scarf waving (it was immense when watching them at the King Power Stadium)

( I’ll get my hat)
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Very good signing, maybe a bit outdated but still view 10 as the most important position on the pitch. Ford will be away with England for a solid portion of the 20/21 season. Henry and Bonilla gives a great mix of flair and experience for us and compliment each other nicely.

Hardwick and Glynn I think are best at 12. Hardwick especially could be a great distributor who also has some physicality. Doesn’t have the game management for a 10 but still has a good passing range and a massive boot. Sadly McPhillips has done nothing to instil any confidence if needed so this signing makes sense.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/player-c ... g-in-2021/
Interesting article on RugbyPass regarding players out of contract in 2021, obviously many will resign with there current club, like most of the Irish players or they're way past their prime.
However wonder if Tigers are looking at any because I like the idea of Huw Jones and Viliame Mata in Tigers shirt.
Also would be keen on the idea of a player like Beno Obano as Coley maybe nearly retiring by then but understand they'll be huge interest in him.
Also (even though not mentioned on the article) Teddy Thomas seems to be out of contract swell and I would love to see him as Nadolo and Murimurivalu are getting on a bit .
What are everyone else's thought?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:40 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/player-c ... g-in-2021/
Interesting article on RugbyPass regarding players out of contract in 2021, obviously many will resign with there current club, like most of the Irish players or they're way past their prime.
However wonder if Tigers are looking at any because I like the idea of Huw Jones and Viliame Mata in Tigers shirt.
Also would be keen on the idea of a player like Beno Obano as Coley maybe nearly retiring by then but understand they'll be huge interest in him.
Also (even though not mentioned on the article) Teddy Thomas seems to be out of contract swell and I would love to see him as Nadolo and Murimurivalu are getting on a bit .
It's rumoured that Toulouse are showing an interest in Thomas.
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Taufua is off next season I would hope Tigers try as hard as possible to sign Mata or Watson.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm If Taufua is off next season I would hope Tigers try as hard as possible to sign Mata or Watson.
Getting Watson back would be brilliant. I know he was released young and has developed a lot elsewhere but he's an academy player I'd love to see back in a Tigers shirt. Not only is he a fantastic player but also a very fun one to watch.

I just can't see Edinburgh holding onto Ritchie, Watson and Mata with the SRU under financial pressure so presumably at least one of those two out of contract will move.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:40 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/player-c ... g-in-2021/
Beno Obano wouldn't replace Cole as he plays at loosehead prop and we are well stocked there with Ellis Genge, Gigena and Leatigaga who can cover both sides. So a frontline tighthead would be needed as Dan's replacement. I haven't looked at the Rugby Pass article yet so I'm not sure who's available.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!