LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:29 pm I've never been convinced by Olowafella,hope he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.
This. I have always had my doubts about him, and he just does not seem to improve.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by johnthegriff »

Some seem very quick to dismiss the abilities and potential of young players. Hardwick is twentyone years old, he had several very good matches for us earlier this season and his composure kicking off the tee won a few matches for us. He is not George Ford, in fact I see him more as a 12 than a 10. I think his replacement in the Gloucester game (his first appearance since lockdown) was more about getting Ford onto the pitch than a criticism of Hardwick's personal performance. Going forward our team needs a pool of Premiership quality players, it also needs some guys that can step in and do a job if called upon without taking up a big chunk of the salary cap.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:29 pm I've never been convinced by Olowafella,hope he proves me wrong but sadly I doubt it.
This. I have always had my doubts about him, and he just does not seem to improve.
What’s he like in training ? And as a person/character ? No, I haven’t a clue either. It’s not like he’s getting plenty of ball and space to run into is it ? Wingers can look very good when players inside them are creating the space and gaps. On the face of it, as in, what we’ve seen in a few games, most recently on TV, he hasn’t looked great but then not many of the backs have. If he’s being picked the coaches have obviously seen something. I’m backing him to come good.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm Some seem very quick to dismiss the abilities and potential of young players. Hardwick is twentyone years old, he had several very good matches for us earlier this season and his composure kicking off the tee won a few matches for us. He is not George Ford, in fact I see him more as a 12 than a 10. I think his replacement in the Gloucester game (his first appearance since lockdown) was more about getting Ford onto the pitch than a criticism of Hardwick's personal performance. Going forward our team needs a pool of Premiership quality players, it also needs some guys that can step in and do a job if called upon without taking up a big chunk of the salary cap.
I think it's a little unfair to say people are being quick to dismiss the likes of Hardwick - we're talking about players who have been around the first team for a couple of years now. You wouldn't get that many chances as a young player at Sarries or Exeter - we need to be ruthless if we want to get back to the top, and I suspect SB will be when he has alternatives. For the moment, the likes of Worth, Hardwick and Olowofela are his only options for some matches.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm Some seem very quick to dismiss the abilities and potential of young players. Hardwick is twentyone years old, he had several very good matches for us earlier this season and his composure kicking off the tee won a few matches for us. He is not George Ford, in fact I see him more as a 12 than a 10. I think his replacement in the Gloucester game (his first appearance since lockdown) was more about getting Ford onto the pitch than a criticism of Hardwick's personal performance. Going forward our team needs a pool of Premiership quality players, it also needs some guys that can step in and do a job if called upon without taking up a big chunk of the salary cap.
Completely agree with this very sensible post. In my view Hardwick, Worth, and Jordan have all shown enough in the last couple of years to be kept around. Hardwick outplayed Umaga not so long ago, he's clearly talented and actually hasn't played poorly since the restart. Hopefully they improve further under the new coaches, and will be at least good club players but hopefully more.

Would also remind people that a lot on this forum have been quick to criticise the club for getting rid of young players too soon - Lewington, Green, Odogwu etc - and so shouldn't then be so quick to call for blood before players have had much of a chance.
Never believe generalisations
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 pm
I think it's a little unfair to say people are being quick to dismiss the likes of Hardwick - we're talking about players who have been around the first team for a couple of years now. You wouldn't get that many chances as a young player at Sarries or Exeter - we need to be ruthless if we want to get back to the top, and I suspect SB will be when he has alternatives. For the moment, the likes of Worth, Hardwick and Olowofela are his only options for some matches.
Tom Hardwick is 21 and has so far played in a distfunctional team. What he has shown is some very good kicking off the tee and a cool head under pressure. Some nice touches in attack and a half decent defence. What he needs to develop is his leadership, particularly in leading the defensive line.

Owolfela needs confidence to start backing himself and going looking for work.

Worth is a useful squad player who is passably good at pretty much everything but doesn't excel in a particular area. Plays most of the backline as well. In the right environment he could be exactly the type of reliable squad man Sarries have made good use of in recent years.

There is no value in writing off academy products who don't go from academy to international level with two seasons. Neither Sarries not Exeter do that for the simple reason that replacing these guys with average journeymen is expensive and you can't buy the loyalty the academy graduates have. Writing off all but the cream of the academy crop is partly what got us into the mess we are in now.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I would love to see us go for Virimi Vakatawa next year - out of contract next year and sounds as though he want to play in the premiership but of course, money may be an issue.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am I would love to see us go for Virimi Vakatawa next year - out of contract next year and sounds as though he want to play in the premiership but of course, money may be an issue.
After Toomua and Manu I think the club might be wary of throwing lots of money at a big name centre again. Particularly as the wage cap is reducing. I can see us going for more cost effective internationals ala Scott, Moroni or the constantly rumoured Huw Jones. Vakatawa will be a big signing somewhere but not here I'd have thought as Vakatawa will be looking at what Radrada has got at Bristol and his agent asking for similar.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Who could sign Vakatawa on a wage similar to his current Racing one, that is either under the cap or replacing a marquee player?

My guess it could be Bath...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Nice piece on the official website about David Williams, wonder if we’re looking to keep him after his loan. Seems to have a bit about him and would be like a solid backup player who can do a job when needed. Appears to have jumped ahead of Olowofela in the pecking order too.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 pm Nice piece on the official website about David Williams, wonder if we’re looking to keep him after his loan. Seems to have a bit about him and would be like a solid backup player who can do a job when needed. Appears to have jumped ahead of Olowofela in the pecking order too.
Purely based on what I’ve seen of Williams since restart I would love to have him stay. Good work rate In defence and the air, strong strike rate for a winger and goes looking chances with the ball. Also a good age profile to build the squad with and an Academy lad.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Paul Tait on Twitter suggesting there is some speculation of Joaquin Tuculet joining Tigers - was rumoured to be heading to the MLR. Us, Newcastle and Toronto are linked to him; with Toronto probably the likely destination.

https://twitter.com/argentina_2027/stat ... 42560?s=21
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 pm
Tom Hardwick is 21 and has so far played in a distfunctional team. What he has shown is some very good kicking off the tee and a cool head under pressure. Some nice touches in attack and a half decent defence. What he needs to develop is his leadership, particularly in leading the defensive line.

Worth is a useful squad player who is passably good at pretty much everything but doesn't excel in a particular area. Plays most of the backline as well. In the right environment he could be exactly the type of reliable squad man Sarries have made good use of in recent years.

There is no value in writing off academy products who don't go from academy to international level with two seasons. Neither Sarries not Exeter do that for the simple reason that replacing these guys with average journeymen is expensive and you can't buy the loyalty the academy graduates have. Writing off all but the cream of the academy crop is partly what got us into the mess we are in now.
Disagree entirely - what has got us into this mess is persevering with players who clearly weren't good enough. Or are we saying that if we'd kept Odogwu, Green and Lewington we would still be a top 4 side?

You say Hardwick has only played in a disfunctional side - I would say he has been part of a disfunctional side.

Exeter and Sarries keep their academy graduates around if they are good enough and expect all their squad players to do the basics consistently well. Olowofela is far too weak in defence to get anywhere near a Sarries or Chiefs first team and Worth is too error prone. Of the 3 I think only Hardwick will be a useful squad player.

I'm happy for any or all of those players to prove me wrong over the next year or two.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:53 pm

Disagree entirely - what has got us into this mess is persevering with players who clearly weren't good enough. Or are we saying that if we'd kept Odogwu, Green and Lewington we would still be a top 4 side?

You say Hardwick has only played in a disfunctional side - I would say he has been part of a disfunctional side.

Exeter and Sarries keep their academy graduates around if they are good enough and expect all their squad players to do the basics consistently well. Olowofela is far too weak in defence to get anywhere near a Sarries or Chiefs first team and Worth is too error prone. Of the 3 I think only Hardwick will be a useful squad player.

I'm happy for any or all of those players to prove me wrong over the next year or two.
But according to you they shouldn’t be given the chance to...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:38 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:53 pm

But according to you they shouldn’t be given the chance to...
Generally correct, yes. I believe they have already been given sufficient chances. There are young players who have emerged since the resumption of play who have impressed more in a couple of games than those three have in two years.

Sorry if my opinions offend you, but I don't think they are good enough.