LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by ABClub »

sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:29 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:07 pm Andy Forsyth and Rory Jennings now loan deals for the rest of season.
Why have they been signed can anyone please educate me? Thanks
They've been training with the squad since the restart so just an extension of those loan deals by my understanding.

Answering the 'why' part with my optimistic hat on, to simply allow better training numbers. With Kobus van Wyk and Murimurivalu not arrived yet and Aspland-Robinson rehabbing we have 18 backs fit who have featured so far. This including loanee Williams and dev squad members JvP, Steward and Kelly who have featured in the first XV since the restart. So it's not significant numbers for training once you add in knocks from the games just played.

Pessimistic hat on, because we are planning to pick all the first XV for the weekend games leading up to the Challenge Cup quarter final with the midweek side for the Wasps fixture due to feature so few senior players that it will make the XV from the Bath game look like the '97 Lions.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sapajo »

ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:48 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:29 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:07 pm Andy Forsyth and Rory Jennings now loan deals for the rest of season.
Why have they been signed can anyone please educate me? Thanks
They've been training with the squad since the restart so just an extension of those loan deals by my understanding.

Answering the 'why' part with my optimistic hat on, to simply allow better training numbers. With Kobus van Wyk and Murimurivalu not arrived yet and Aspland-Robinson rehabbing we have 18 backs fit who have featured so far. This including loanee Williams and dev squad members JvP, Steward and Kelly who have featured in the first XV since the restart. So it's not significant numbers for training once you add in knocks from the games just played.

Pessimistic hat on, because we are planning to pick all the first XV for the weekend games leading up to the Challenge Cup quarter final with the midweek side for the Wasps fixture due to feature so few senior players that it will make the XV from the Bath game look like the '97 Lions.
Thank you :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The Lewis situation is interesting , but I would guess just not fully fit - he seemed to be very highly rated before lockdown.

As for Hardwick, Olowofela and Worth, they've had loads of opportunities over the last couple of years and I don't think any of them are much better than they were in their first senior matches. They are all ok, but none of them have ever, in my opinion, put in top half Premiership performances. For me, that lack of improvement suggests that they aren't going to make it - and generally you know pretty early on whether they've got what it takes or not.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 pm The Lewis situation is interesting , but I would guess just not fully fit - he seemed to be very highly rated before lockdown.

As for Hardwick, Olowofela and Worth, they've had loads of opportunities over the last couple of years and I don't think any of them are much better than they were in their first senior matches. They are all ok, but none of them have ever, in my opinion, put in top half Premiership performances. For me, that lack of improvement suggests that they aren't going to make it - and generally you know pretty early on whether they've got what it takes or not.
Worth is the only one I would persevere with. Wouldn't be sad if he went but I feel there is a good player there somewhere.

Hardwick is lacking that bit of quality, he's one of those who would be a superstar in the championship but just not good enough a level above. Olowofela has regressed, hasn't worked on his body and looks disinterested.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

I think we are seeing the end of Jake Kerr in Leicester.

Claire has leapfrogged him. With likely the Georgian, Youngs and soon to be Montoya also ahead of him he's going to have to move to see any action.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TheTigerKing wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 pm The Lewis situation is interesting , but I would guess just not fully fit - he seemed to be very highly rated before lockdown.

Worth is the only one I would persevere with. Wouldn't be sad if he went but I feel there is a good player there somewhere.

Hardwick is lacking that bit of quality, he's one of those who would be a superstar in the championship but just not good enough a level above. Olowofela has regressed, hasn't worked on his body and looks disinterested.
Funny different opinions. I think Hardwick is the only one who has something about him and could make it in the premiership. I like that he has a bit of attitude and think he could make a very fine 12 for Tigers. He’s got a good passing and kicking game, just maybe lacks the game management for a 10.

Olowofela and Worth are okay players, just seem to be lacking confidence. Not every academy player is going to make it. No slight on them, they can still have a great career in the game, just at the moment I see them as championship standard players. They’re chalk and cheese in comparison to the likes of Potter and Porter who look at ease in the premiership.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:27 pm
TheTigerKing wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Funny different opinions. I think Hardwick is the only one who has something about him and could make it in the premiership. I like that he has a bit of attitude and think he could make a very fine 12 for Tigers. He’s got a good passing and kicking game, just maybe lacks the game management for a 10.

Olowofela and Worth are okay players, just seem to be lacking confidence. Not every academy player is going to make it. No slight on them, they can still have a great career in the game, just at the moment I see them as championship standard players. They’re chalk and cheese in comparison to the likes of Potter and Porter who look at ease in the premiership.
I'm with you tbh. Hardwick has showed in games previously that he can make things happen. Worth is mediocre at best and Olowofela has a terrible strike rate for a Premiership wing. He doesn't seem to back himself, despite the pace he has. Defensively he's very poor (IMHO)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TheTigerKing wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:11 pm I think we are seeing the end of Jake Kerr in Leicester.

Claire has leapfrogged him. With likely the Georgian, Youngs and soon to be Montoya also ahead of him he's going to have to move to see any action.
I think the one thing we don’t know is how long OTY will continue playing.

As for the Worth discussions, I think we need to stop talking about him like he’s a youngster in the Hardwick or Olowofela still are. He’s got 60 first team appearances under his belt. I think he is what he is; probably that utility player who will never set the world alight but will be a comfortable 2nd/3rd choice experienced back up.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Why would Kerr be behind Mamukashvilli? Kerr is bigger, faster, undoubtedly fitter and has been playing Premiership rugby for some time, well enough to get a couple of Scotland caps. Mamukashvilli is not some up and coming, much talked about young star of world rugby. He's a 30 year old journeyman who has provided injury cover at a few good clubs, but played lower league and semi-professional rugby (Carcassonne, Locomotive, Enisei) for the last three years.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TheTigerKing wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:11 pm I think we are seeing the end of Jake Kerr in Leicester.

I think Clare started against Glaws because he's bigger and a good scrummaging hooker. His dire first half display will be helped by a slightly better second half but he's only going to be a good squad player. Given we had Bower and Heyes at prop the coaches wanted security at the scrum. Kerr was excellent Vs Bath and had we had Gigena fit enough to start I think we'd have had Kerr at hooker that was the plan off the bench before Chessum had to be replaced and Kerr did a job at flanker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clare doesn't get an extension next summer and go with Montoya, Kerr, the Georgian and Youngs in a White style part time role.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Clare would make a solid back-up to Mamukashvilli and Montoya next season, definitely upped his game since leaving Stains. I'd expect OTY to take more of a back seat and motivate on the training field. Kerr despite being a project is still so far behind Clare with a defence that makes Olowofela look good!!! Clare is also an ex Tigers Academy captain, perfect DNA for the squad rebuild.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Unfortunately for Kerr he got his cap and then we relegated him to the Extras.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

People are quick to forget... if it hadn’t been for Hardwick this season we wouldn’t have beaten Gloucester at home or Cardiff Blues away.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm People are quick to forget... if it hadn’t been for Hardwick this season we wouldn’t have beaten Gloucester at home or Cardiff Blues away.
Well, we might have done. Someone would have been playing in his place and might have done the same things, or more.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:42 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm People are quick to forget... if it hadn’t been for Hardwick this season we wouldn’t have beaten Gloucester at home or Cardiff Blues away.
Well, we might have done. Someone would have been playing in his place and might have done the same things, or more.
And, possibly importantly, it was under a different coaching regime.