LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am Good news that he is coming back, maybe he will be selected for the Rugby Championship but that isn't on for a while yet.
I really rate Gigena and think he's vital to Tigers. The Pumas looseheads with Chapparo settling at LH and Mayco Vivas coming through are very strong though. If Gigena forces his way past either of those two I will be very impressed.

I do wonder if playing alongside Montoya will help his international ambitions. He's a very good scrummager, Montoya will get the benefit of that when playing alongside him regularly.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by JP14 »

Gigena perhaps needs to develop his carrying game a little, but apart from that he is a class player, and one that is hugely underrated too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am Good news that he is coming back, maybe he will be selected for the Rugby Championship but that isn't on for a while yet.
According to the Sky web site the Rugby Championship starts on August 15th!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:34 pm
They haven't updated it, it's going to be played from the 7th November to the 12 December, if Covid doesn't return with a vengeance in New Zealand.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

He’s (Gigena) back in Leicester this morning.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 pm
They haven't updated it, it's going to be played from the 7th November to the 12 December, if Covid doesn't return with a vengeance in New Zealand.
I am interested to see how NZ cope with this (compared to a lot of the world) small outbreak but large for NZ, it might help other countries.

So all being well you would expect Gigena back at Oval Park potentially the 28th, but presumably not at the same point Covid tests as the "playing squad" & not at any sort of ready to play fitness.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 pm

I am interested to see how NZ cope with this (compared to a lot of the world) small outbreak but large for NZ, it might help other countries.

So all being well you would expect Gigena back at Oval Park potentially the 28th, but presumably not at the same point Covid tests as the "playing squad" & not at any sort of ready to play fitness.
Depends on what Gigena was able to do in Argentina, if he was able to access a gym then that might not be such an issue. But we'll see.

If the four cases haven't spread and the NZ government have found the source they probably lift the restrictions as expected on Friday, but we'll see, no news yet as to whether the games can go ahead at all.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Depends on what Gigena was able to do in Argentina, if he was able to access a gym then that might not be such an issue. But we'll see.

If the four cases haven't spread and the NZ government have found the source they probably lift the restrictions as expected on Friday, but we'll see, no news yet as to whether the games can go ahead at all.
14 positive Covid 19 tests now in NZ :smt009
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They have released the teams for the match in Dunedin, so I guess it's a case of we'll see. My guess is that it will just be played behind closed doors...
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Did I read that it was from meat processing?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Single family, but they'd been all over the place, was what I read.
The good/bad news is that the new hot-spot is.....Northampton.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:48 pm Single family, but they'd been all over the place, was what I read.
It not any hot spot it's an M&S hotspot...

In unrelated stuff OTY mentions on the podcast he has lost 2cm of height playing rugby...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:48 pm Single family, but they'd been all over the place, was what I read.

In unrelated stuff OTY mentions on the podcast he has lost 2cm of height playing rugby...
I once lost 2cm of height on a night out.
I never did find those shoes.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Squats. I lost similar when training for sprints, until I twitched on a set of 300kg.😢
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Van Wyk got a three week ban for the lift - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... suspension

Article also says he and wife are waiting on visas to be processed before leaving for the UK.