LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:08 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:18 am

Potentially! As long as he arrives soon that’s all that matters.
Actually the Italian passport would be a major bonus. It'll mean he won't need visas to move around Europe next season which will make life easier for him and club admin. It'll also means he won't take up a foreign player spot so he can play alongside Lavanini and and Mukashvilli (sp?) Our new hooker at the same time. With Montoya joining next summer or rumoured to be that would apply with him as well.
With regards to the foreign player slots, do we know which of the new players have dual citizenship and which players in the squad count as overseas?
It's hard to know exactly so it's educated guess time. Sometimes players or the club make passing remarks such as the joke about Tigers offering to pay for Ayerza's wedding because it meant he qualified for a Spanish passport.

There is a website that lists Argentinians with known Italian roots as it's fairly common thing for Argentinians to have strong Italian ancestry. Italy don't make is especially hard to get a passport either. Moroni is listed on the website so it's fairly safe to assume he qualifies.

The Kolpak agreement covers players from SA and the Pacific Islands. The agreements regarding free movement within the EU also apply. Leaves only players from NZ, Australia, Argentina and Georgia as not qualifying for us. Taufua has Samoan heritage so gets round the rules that way, it's been mentioned he qualifies to play for Samoa. The club have discussed how Potter and Porter are EQ so they don't count. Lavanini is assumed to count as a foreign player as does our Georgian hooker, Enever might as well unless he has some English family. If Gigena has an Italian passport then he won't count and it'll stop the visa issues he has had this season.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by loretta »

And it could all count for nothing next year.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

If you haven't got 70 points score in the new immigration system you ain't coming in to work!!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I await the arrival of the new immigration system with interest, as to how it will work out in sports, health, social care, hospitality, retail, farming and the rest. I doubt that rugby will figure, likewise football and cricket.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:02 pm And it could all count for nothing next year.
Probably. The deal that was ready baked and could be unveiled on day one is no where to be seen so it could well be no deal and a free for all.

I would expect the PRL and the RFU to try and maintain the current rules as much as possible though. There's a lot to be said for stability, especially when that stability is bringing through plenty of talented players for England.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:41 pm
loretta wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:02 pm And it could all count for nothing next year.
Probably. The deal that was ready baked and could be unveiled on day one is no where to be seen so it could well be no deal and a free for all.

I would expect the PRL and the RFU to try and maintain the current rules as much as possible though. There's a lot to be said for stability, especially when that stability is bringing through plenty of talented players for England.
Me too. The problem is, they don't make the rules...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

loretta wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:41 pm

True but if Kolpak, Bosman etc get removed, I cannot see overseas players limits remaining as they are
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Will the new rules apply to New applications starting Jan 2021?
Will the existing rules apply to those already in post?
Who knows? - with a No deal Brexit its all to fight for.
If its down solely to this Gov the rules will be Panto season ( Wishy Washy )with no clear guidelines ( If Covid management is anything to go by) SORRY FOR BEING POLITICALLY INCORRECT :smt017 :smt024
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think Football will do a lot of the hard yards re sport & others will piggy back it.

But if you look at it with a realistic eye, how is any Sportsman better for the UK then someone wanting & willing to come to the UK to work in the NHS or care sector?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:04 am I think Football will do a lot of the hard yards re sport & others will piggy back it.

But if you look at it with a realistic eye, how is any Sportsman better for the UK then someone wanting & willing to come to the UK to work in the NHS or care sector?
Well they pay a lot more tax for a start. A person on £250k per year as a starting Prem rugby player is paying something like £100k p.a. in tax & NI.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:04 am I think Football will do a lot of the hard yards re sport & others will piggy back it.

Well they pay a lot more tax for a start. A person on £250k per year as a starting Prem rugby player is paying something like £100k p.a. in tax & NI.
I would like that to be true, but I doubt it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Spot on. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:34 am
loretta wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:41 pm

True but if Kolpak, Bosman etc get removed, I cannot see overseas players limits remaining as they are
It could cause carnage in the job market if they completely tear these agreements up. I can see them or at least significant portions of them being copied into the new legislation. Then again that would be logical and we're talking about politicians here.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Kolpak is basically in a real mess at moment and I cannot see it being applicable in UK after end of implementation period, given the UK's discussions with the EU. It's a rule from the ECJ. It relates to trade agreements between the EU and non EU countries. Association agreements are free trade agreements set up between EU and others and paves the way for non EU citizens to have freedom of travel/work rules equivalent to that of an EU citizen within the EU. The UK is heading away from having ECJ rulings imposed and a FTA looks way off. Players covered by Kolpak currently may have to go down a full visa route - interesting times ahead.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm Kolpak is basically in a real mess at moment and I cannot see it being applicable in UK after end of implementation period, given the UK's discussions with the EU. It's a rule from the ECJ. It relates to trade agreements between the EU and non EU countries. Association agreements are free trade agreements set up between EU and others and paves the way for non EU citizens to have freedom of travel/work rules equivalent to that of an EU citizen within the EU. The UK is heading away from having ECJ rulings imposed and a FTA looks way off. Players covered by Kolpak currently may have to go down a full visa route - interesting times ahead.
Agree with this. I would expect most sports to consequently increase the number of foreign players allowed, at least temporarily.