LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am Itoje has signed on for Sarries,as has Daly,Farrel,Vunipola etc. Calculator must be broken 😜
I wonder if they have just carried on the business deals they had with the former owner. Now he is a former owner does it become a purely private arrangement and nothing to do with the club. Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Scott1 »

It will still be classed as towards the salary cap I should think because it's still player earnings
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tenuous rumour but saw a South African rugby fan say that Hurricanes wing Kobus Van Wyk has signed for us?
So out of the blue it might actually have something too it.

Would be please, not the biggest or fastest wing but decent mix of the 2, like Thompstone 4/5 years ago.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:24 pm Tenuous rumour but saw a South African rugby fan say that Hurricanes wing Kobus Van Wyk has signed for us?

Would be please, not the biggest or fastest wing but decent mix of the 2, like Thompstone 4/5 years ago.
I may be wrong but didnt van Wyk sign a new contract with the Canes before COVID?

Would be a good option if we can get him - good all round player from what I've seen. Is he an out and out winger or has he played FB or OC before??
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Just picked the thread up.

Thanks Raging Bull for the update. Don’t know how you do it!
Valhalla I am coming!
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

As you say, not the scariest winger in terms of size or pace, but I've been extremely impressed over the last few weeks and - coincidentally - was wondering this morning about him being the kind of non-flashy signing Tigers might usefully make. Above all, he is an excellent rugby player:good skills; good game sense and a good finisher.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:29 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:24 pm Tenuous rumour but saw a South African rugby fan say that Hurricanes wing Kobus Van Wyk has signed for us?

I may be wrong but didnt van Wyk sign a new contract with the Canes before COVID?

Would be a good option if we can get him - good all round player from what I've seen. Is he an out and out winger or has he played FB or OC before??
A Google search only suggests the Canes were keen to get him on a deal that longer than the 1 year contract he signed when he joined. The deal was supposed to be close according to reports in May but I can't see anything confirming an extension. Perhaps we got in there and convinced him to move on again. It would be an interesting signing.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Says here it was a single season deal. Used to play centre and would like to again. Only blot on his copybook was the crazy pass near his own line versus the Crusaders!
https://clubrugby.nz/wp/2020/05/31/kobu ... urricanes/
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Van Wyk has been pretty decent for the Hurricanes in 2020.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Purely going on Mr Bull’s list, Kelly appears to be the centre in the development squad. I can’t comment on him or whether he could feature in the first team. I suspect not yet. 12 is such a difficult position to fill. Daryl Gibson was a rock, defensively superb and a great communicator. Anthony Allen less so but still very good. They don’t come along to often. Scott and Taute are obviously good players but it would be worth waiting to get someone long term who won’t be away...and the right player. Although it’s great to have a bunch of interchangeable players, I’d prefer a 12 who plays 12 and nothing else. Laumape, Goodhue....probably not available along with other decent Kiwis. Tricky.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Perhaps it is because of the Borthwick appointment that I suspect the focus and strategy of the team will be centred around a really strong and effective pack. If they can achieve that, dominate opponents up front and generate a significant penalty count in our favour, then we need a good goal-kicker and a strong and robust defence.

I remember watching a game at Welford Road earlier this season where Jonny May was largely anonymous and didn't make much of an effort to get involved in the game. I know he was on the wing and not a Centre and I am not blaming him specifically for other players poor performance.

So, it is only a suspicion, but if I am right then the priority for the midfield to be safe and secure rather than expansive and free-flowing. Then watch the pack stick it up their jumpers. We will see in the fullness of time......
duffers
Tiger Cub

Post by duffers »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Van Wyk has been pretty decent for the Hurricanes in 2020.
Three tries puts him ahead of the likes of Sevu Reece & Reiko Ioane, although he gifted the Crusaders the win last month trying to keep the ball alive instead of clearing it 5m out from his own try line
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

frenchtiger123 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:25 pm Not sure if I've missed anything here, but I haven't seen Lavanini on any of the Social Media channels since the contract issues started?
He’s been on Instagram regularly, usually with pictures of large steaks that he is about to bbq.
From recent photos he is currently taking a short break with his family in Dorset
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 pm Rumours of Jamie Roberts moving to Welford Road!

Fortunately, it's Ruck Rugby so it's simply wild speculation...

https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-jamie-rob ... ip-return/
No thanks he’s had more clubs than Tiger Woods. Would rather see Scott and Hardwick developed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm Perhaps it is because of the Borthwick appointment that I suspect the focus and strategy of the team will be centred around a really strong and effective pack. If they can achieve that, dominate opponents up front and generate a significant penalty count in our favour, then we need a good goal-kicker and a strong and robust defence.

I remember watching a game at Welford Road earlier this season where Jonny May was largely anonymous and didn't make much of an effort to get involved in the game. I know he was on the wing and not a Centre and I am not blaming him specifically for other players poor performance.

So, it is only a suspicion, but if I am right then the priority for the midfield to be safe and secure rather than expansive and free-flowing. Then watch the pack stick it up their jumpers. We will see in the fullness of time......
I think the fundamentals of Borthwick’s game plan, will be getting the basics right, scrum, line out, restarts support runners etc.
It’s been said many times forwards win games and the backs decide by how much, and I’m hopeful this is what we will see. I forget who’s interview it was but they mentioned how even dropped balls in training are frowned upon, quite rightly so, train as you play.