LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm We've got Williams in from Nottingham and he plays wing and a bit of fullback so he's a handy cover. Steward, Owolfela and Browning we've got to look at to continue to step up.

If we get Moroni and Huw Jones that would replace our three centres out satisfactorily. I'd still want a fullback or real quality to come in though. It's unlikely to be a Kiwi as many of those are waiting to see what will happen with the coaching change and unless they have dual citizenship they will count as a foreign player which is prohibitive for us with three already in the squad.
Unless like Jordan they have dual nationality qualifications, or doesn’t it count unless he opts to -lay for Scotland.
McGinty and Murphy are aware of this anyway, so any signing would take that into account.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:34 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm We've got Williams in from Nottingham and he plays wing and a bit of fullback so he's a handy cover. Steward, Owolfela and Browning we've got to look at to continue to step up.

If we get Moroni and Huw Jones that would replace our three centres out satisfactorily. I'd still want a fullback or real quality to come in though. It's unlikely to be a Kiwi as many of those are waiting to see what will happen with the coaching change and unless they have dual citizenship they will count as a foreign player which is prohibitive for us with three already in the squad.
Unless like Jordan they have dual nationality qualifications, or doesn’t it count unless he opts to -lay for Scotland.
McGinty and Murphy are aware of this anyway, so any signing would take that into account.
As I said dual citizenship.

McGinity strikes me as knowing a lot of people in the game I'm sure he's got a database of players and their eligibility criteria and who to contact in order to get the low down on them. He mentioned his little black book previously.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He should know a lot of people in the game he was one of the top agents in rugby.

I don't really see any of the young NZ wingers/FB's leaving.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm He should know a lot of people in the game he was one of the top agents in rugby.

I don't really see any of the young NZ wingers/FB's leaving.
I was half surprised that Dean Hammond signed a Championship contract.. He was an early McGinity signing at Worcester. A solid winger who won't cost too much. He could have been a cost effective replacement for Thompstone. Not as good a player as Thompstone at his best but strong enough to fill the squad place he held for the last couple of years. Ealing will be paying well though.

Still no news of where Tom Stephenson and Alivereti Veitokani are heading from the London Irish leavers. Both could fill squad places well at Tigers in my opinion.

Lucas Noguera Paz could be an interesting option to replace Bateman as well. His time at Bath has been disrupted by injury but he's a very good loosehead if a club can get him playing consistent rugby. As a 3rd choice LH (with Leatigaga also able to cover) it could be worth the risk IMO. Similar to the calculated gamble that Sarries took by signing Figallo for much less than a tighthead of his quality would usually demand due to a fraught period with injury.

With Gigena being a LH as well Noguera Paz signing wouldn't be as much of an issue with foreign player rules either. He and Gigena wouldn't be on the pitch at the same time!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IDK I think it's a good sign he didn't sign him.
Big difference between signing a 21 year old project wing and a 28 year old.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 pm IDK I think it's a good sign he didn't sign him.
Big difference between signing a 21 year old project wing and a 28 year old.
A fair point RB.

Ealing will have a good back three with Hammond, Walker and Bodilly. I think their pack looks a touch weaker than last season though with the players they've lost.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me Eastmond, Reid and Manu being replaced by Scott, Moroni and Jones actually gives us a better set of centres. Especially defensively, where the former three all had their weaknesses. Moroni is excellent at leading the defence in the outside channels.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... er-exodus/

Again linking us to Moroni and Montoya.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

duffers wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm Interesting that Matias Orlando is joining Newcastle on an 18 month deal starting in December.

Doubt we'd announce the signing of any Jaguares players this early if their contracts don't expire until December.

I think Matias Moroni would be an excellent signing. Montoya also.

If I had my pick of Jaguares players, I'd also try to sign Bautista Pedemonte - 20 year old back-row - ranked 3rd on the RugbyPass Top 50 U20 players
I think that is because Newcastle don't have money to pay anyone until the new season starts, rather than that is when his contract expires with Jaguares.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
duffers
Tiger Cub

Post by duffers »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:13 pm
duffers wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm Interesting that Matias Orlando is joining Newcastle on an 18 month deal starting in December.

Doubt we'd announce the signing of any Jaguares players this early if their contracts don't expire until December.

I think Matias Moroni would be an excellent signing. Montoya also.

If I had my pick of Jaguares players, I'd also try to sign Bautista Pedemonte - 20 year old back-row - ranked 3rd on the RugbyPass Top 50 U20 players
I think that is because Newcastle don't have money to pay anyone until the new season starts, rather than that is when his contract expires with Jaguares.
Jeronimo de la Fuente's contract ends in December 2020 & he isn't joining Perpignan until then. Not sure if Kremer & Petti were bought out early given the Top 14 transfer deadline. It'll be interesting to see when Alemanno joins up with the Gloucester squad.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Isn’t Matias Orlando currently re-habing from a complete shoulder reconstruction? Could be the reason for a later start date
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:50 pm

For me Eastmond, Reid and Manu being replaced by Scott, Moroni and Jones actually gives us a better set of centres. Especially defensively, where the former three all had their weaknesses. Moroni is excellent at leading the defence in the outside channels.

Not sure about Jones defensively , certainly the proposed combination would be no worse ; Moroni would make a potentially exceptional signing.Good leader , great awareness.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 am

Not sure about Jones defensively , certainly the proposed combination would be no worse ; Moroni would make a potentially exceptional signing.Good leader , great awareness.
I think with both Jones, if he’s coming, and to a lesser degree Scott, until we see them on the paddock, outside Ford, it’s difficult to make any real assumptions. What I would say is that a centre trio of Moroni, Scott and Jones, is quite a step up from Tuilagi, Reid and Eastmond, IMO
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am

I think with both Jones, if he’s coming, and to a lesser degree Scott, until we see them on the paddock, outside Ford, it’s difficult to make any real assumptions. What I would say is that a centre trio of Moroni, Scott and Jones, is quite a step up from Tuilagi, Reid and Eastmond, IMO
Man for man pretty much everyone is a step down on Manu when he turns it on but as a group of centres Scott, Jones and Moroni would offer us more as you say. Be interesting to see how Kelly develops, he looks a real unit already.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:07 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am

Man for man pretty much everyone is a step down on Manu when he turns it on but as a group of centres Scott, Jones and Moroni would offer us more as you say. Be interesting to see how Kelly develops, he looks a real unit already.
Agreed re Kelly, bit of the BOD, Ringrose, in his running style.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I would have thought that Taut would rate a mention when discussing centres.