LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Mark62 »

That’ll be a no then.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Tiglon »

The prospect of Huw Jones doesn't excite me, unless he's a cheap option these days.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chiefs have been targeting young talents from other clubs to complement their academy talent. Will Witty and now Josh Hodge from Falcons. Aaron Hinckley from Gloucester. Corey Baldwin from Scarlets. Jack Walsh from Australia.

They do make some big signings but with Gray and Hogg already committed it'd be a big investment for them to bring in Manu or Taufau. Particularly with the cap coming down and a lot of sought after academy graduates to try to keep.

6.Skinner 7.Armand 8.Simmonds
6.Vermuelen 7.Hinckley 8.Ewers
6.Wright 7.Capstick 8.Tuima

They are doing alright for back row depth it's fair to say. Hinckley in the Chiefs systems could become one hell of a player. Tuima is a beast.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm PLEASE tell me there is no truth in the rumour that Taufua is off to Exeter, we have lost far too many good players to them
I too hope this is not true!
https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-leicester ... er-switch/ :smt022 :smt013
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is the licking their lips reference to Manu during the haka when he destroyed NZ or am I reading too much into ot?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've just read that Chiefs are signing Ibitoye and Manu is definitely going to Japan. Let's see
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

Did I imagine it or was there talk of a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between prem clubs not to sign each others players under contract negotiations as a result of Covid? I appreciate it isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, but clubs seem to be holding to it? (At the moment).
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:18 pm Huw Jones definitely on his way apparently
Would be somewhat apprehensive due to injury record.certainly not without ability.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

My thoughts on the JT to Exeter move...We have had no news from the club except from Gordie saying "he wants to stay".
Now if he has agreed to go then there may be some agreement with Exeter that we dont tell the press and they wont until its mutually benficial for both clubs.
We are still negotiating with him and nothing has been decided so nothing to say
JT has decided to stay and we will see him in the new strip Wednesday next week

Would be gutted if he left for Exeter, although we are hardly rivals at this moment in time. Just hope if he does Borthwick has it all in hand and we have a replacement lined up.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

With the majority of contract negotiations concluded at the club, the last few will no doubt be decided one way or the other soon. The club will tell us when they know and when they believe it is appropriate. By the end of this season I would expect the vast majority of next season's senior squad to be known and to be settled into long term contracts (again, where appropriate).
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

BigChris wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:24 am Did I imagine it or was there talk of a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between prem clubs not to sign each others players under contract negotiations as a result of Covid? I appreciate it isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, but clubs seem to be holding to it? (At the moment).
I believe so, yes. I read that somewhere too.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Summary of club statement notified by fentiger. The 5 have employment ended. JT more time for discussion.
As Good As It Gets
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 am Summary of club statement notified by fentiger. The 5 have employment ended. JT more time for discussion.
So if employment has ended am I right to conclude that (pending legal challenges) Tigers are no longer paying those wages, which means we've freed up that salary cap now rather than having to wait for them to sign with an alternative club?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It seems to my reading of the gentlemen's agreement that other prem clubs can now sign our stood down players as "their employment has now ended and they will no longer play for the club". Taufua is different as contract talks are on-going
Hehehehehehehehe