LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:06 am JP14 is better than me at super 14 players but Caleb Clark is tearing it up for the blues, plus there’s always Leicester Faingunuku (sorry about the spelling) who was a big star at u20 but on the verge of the Crusaders squad at present
Close enough, Fainga'anuku. A name previously mentioned on the forum purely for his forename but is an excellent winger. Apart from Clarke, Jordan & Mark Telea (who is eligible for All Blacks, Boks or Samoa), the wingers in Aotearoa haven't really been setting the world on fire but Sean Wainui of the Chiefs is a talented player too.
I've often thought that Tima Faina'anuku would be a good target. Struggled to hold down a Super Rugby contract as there's so much talent in the outside backs constantly coming out of NZ. Still a talented player though who could be a weapon in attack.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm Jordan was also benched behind Havili this week, though that may have just been rotation.
Caleb Clarke has been going well.
The other one earning decent reviews, albeit not prolific yet, would be Jona Nareki of the Highlanders. Coincidentally both Nadolo and Fainga’anuku’s brothers are also at the Highlanders.
That was rotation, don’t think Havili had started before that and you can’t really drop either of the Crusaders centres or wingers.
That being said the line that Jordan cut for his try was sublime
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:19 pm
Knightonian wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/Argentina_20 ... 7704024064

Rumor: Matías Moroni to Leicester Tigers.

Interesting thread with other rumours Jaguares of to Gloucester etc

Could have credentials:
Follow
Paul Tait
@Argentina_2027
EDITOR / ARGENTINA / SOUTH AMERICA of
@americasrugby
Convinced of Flag of ArgentinaArgentina as RWC Host.
It looks like the guy just saw that article and assumed it was a rumour
2 out of these 3 rumours have come true - here’s hoping on a hatrick with Moroni to Leicester
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:19 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm Jordan was also benched behind Havili this week, though that may have just been rotation.
The other one earning decent reviews, albeit not prolific yet, would be Jona Nareki of the Highlanders. Coincidentally both Nadolo and Fainga’anuku’s brothers are also at the Highlanders.
That was rotation, don’t think Havili had started before that and you can’t really drop either of the Crusaders centres or wingers.
That being said the line that Jordan cut for his try was sublime
Crusaders have rotated their back three a bit but then with the quality they have why wouldn't you;

11. Reece, Faina'anuku
14. Bridge, Paea
15. Havilli, Jordan

I don't think Mataele has had a look in yet but he's quite handy as well. Robertson has developed the talent there brilliantly.
duffers
Tiger Cub

Post by duffers »

Interesting that Matias Orlando is joining Newcastle on an 18 month deal starting in December.

Doubt we'd announce the signing of any Jaguares players this early if their contracts don't expire until December.

I think Matias Moroni would be an excellent signing. Montoya also.

If I had my pick of Jaguares players, I'd also try to sign Bautista Pedemonte - 20 year old back-row - ranked 3rd on the RugbyPass Top 50 U20 players
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

duffers wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm Interesting that Matias Orlando is joining Newcastle on an 18 month deal starting in December.

Doubt we'd announce the signing of any Jaguares players this early if their contracts don't expire until December.

I think Matias Moroni would be an excellent signing. Montoya also.

If I had my pick of Jaguares players, I'd also try to sign Bautista Pedemonte - 20 year old back-row - ranked 3rd on the RugbyPass Top 50 U20 players
Could be because Newcastle aren't expecting to play any rugby for a while yet and so they don't see any value in negotiating him out of any deal in Argentina.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Mr GM, I was expecting a couple of announcements regarding squad additions to go with the Strip reveal.
Jan is also looking at the 5 add ons.
My popcorn has now popped and gone over. As I am over excited regarding Alternative kit, do we have to check the team/Squad photo to quench our desire to know who your keeping quiet about?
Or is the reveal for Sam Bondi on LTTV Friday????? :smt026
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,whens popcorn day?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Now there is someone I would like to see here David Havili
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

From the Crusaders Mataele would be the best bet as he seems to have got injured and fallen out of contention subsequently.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm
He's one that could be pried away but probably well out of our price range. He can legitimately play 10 to 15. Wonderful 15 who may just be unlucky when it comes to international recognition.

Matele would be a good addition but only if we were then going to use Nadolo as a centre. We need centres and a fullback more than wingers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm
He's one that could be pried away but probably well out of our price range. He can legitimately play 10 to 15. Wonderful 15 who may just be unlucky when it comes to international recognition.

Matele would be a good addition but only if we were then going to use Nadolo as a centre. We need centres and a fullback more than wingers.

I'm not sure, we've lost 3 wingers
Thompstone replaced by Potter
May replaced by Nadalo
Holmes replaced by ?

Not seen enough to say Potter is good enough for a nailed on starter so I'd like to see either 2 fullbacks (who can cover wing) come in or a wing and a fullback.

We've said we're replacing the 5 who left (3 were centres) plus a couple more, one of those couple more is a winger in my mind.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Agreed. I think the ‘couple already lined up’ were replacements for Kalamafoni and Holmes.

Addressing the Havili comments, it may be a little wishlist, but arguably if we went after David Havili to replace Veianu, Moroni/Savea to replace Holmes, and Huw Jones to replace Manu, their flexibility allied with having Hardwick able to play 12, could allow you to not bother replacing Reid and Eastmond. Salary’s may balance out a bit then too. Personally I don’t see Havili leaving NZ yet.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We've got Williams in from Nottingham and he plays wing and a bit of fullback so he's a handy cover. Steward, Owolfela and Browning we've got to look at to continue to step up.

If we get Moroni and Huw Jones that would replace our three centres out satisfactorily. I'd still want a fullback or real quality to come in though. It's unlikely to be a Kiwi as many of those are waiting to see what will happen with the coaching change and unless they have dual citizenship they will count as a foreign player which is prohibitive for us with three already in the squad.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:05 pm Agreed. I think the ‘couple already lined up’ were replacements for Kalamafoni and Holmes.

Addressing the Havili comments, it may be a little wishlist, but arguably if we went after David Havili to replace Veianu, Moroni/Savea to replace Holmes, and Huw Jones to replace Manu, their flexibility allied with having Hardwick able to play 12, could allow you to not bother replacing Reid and Eastmond. Salary’s may balance out a bit then too. Personally I don’t see Havili leaving NZ yet.
I do agree with your comments, didn’t realise Havili was only 25, and has played at Crusaders and Tasmin with JT, also wasn’t aware that he had a 20 cm section of his bowel removed this year and nearly lost the whole bowel.