LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by MCC1964 »

More to the point it appears one of our kits is going to be pink...but I guess that’s for another thread...
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by voice of the crumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm I read it the same way - popcorn Wednesday I hope
Large dose of popcorn already with the announcement that Taufua is staying.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/club-update-200714
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:36 pm Interesting pack selection by Richie B, personally I would have Tom Youngs ahead of Mamakashvili, Jake Kerr will be pushing for a place as well. the back row looks good but Tommy Reffell and Sam Lewis will also be pushing for selection. The backs with Youngs, Ford, Scott, Taute, and Nadolo are well stocked with internationals plus Olowofela, White, Hardwick and Worth all with under 20's honours and new signings such as Henry, plus loads of young prospects the future is looking good, we may be expecting some incoming players but methinks they will have to fight for a place in the team.
JTG I would think that all 3 hookers mentioned will start on a level playing field, but interestingly, Borthwick mentioned Mamakashvili in his LTTV interview and the qualities he brings to the party.

I would also add that I would like to see the captaincy taken off Tom Youngs because he no longer guarantee his starting position
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Great news a massive boost for us about J T. This is the best news yet.

I would be looking to bring in a number 8, an inside centre, and a full back who can be an effective winger, or vice versa.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:40 pm [quote=johnthegriff post_id=747072
I would also add that I would like to see the captaincy taken off Tom Youngs because he no longer guarantee his starting position
No reason why OTY cannot remain the club captain, with an additional 'on field' captain named.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Personally, if I was given a choice between keeping Manu or Taufua I reckon I’d go for Taufua. Available all year, aggressive in all parts of the game, a great jackal and a real competitor. Happy days....
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:18 pm
No reason why OTY cannot remain the club captain, with an additional 'on field' captain named.
I agree and would hope that would happen, but personally I don’t see how the club could justify naming him first team captain any longer.
I know that not all fans like it, but I am a fan of having co captains, or as we used to call it pack leader and head girl, gives a bit more flexibility.
Not sure if anyone else saw the recent Hurricanes game, their co captains were Coles and Perinara, but Perinara pi***d the ref off so much with his antics that the ref refused to talk to him and everything wen through Coles.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 pm
I agree and would hope that would happen, but personally I don’t see how the club could justify naming him first team captain any longer.
I know that not all fans like it, but I am a fan of having co captains, or as we used to call it pack leader and head girl, gives a bit more flexibility.
Not sure if anyone else saw the recent Hurricanes game, their co captains were Coles and Perinara, but Perinara pi***d the ref off so much with his antics that the ref refused to talk to him and everything wen through Coles.
Nothing new from TJ then!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

loretta wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 pm Personally, if I was given a choice between keeping Manu or Taufua I reckon I’d go for Taufua. Available all year, aggressive in all parts of the game, a great jackal and a real competitor. Happy days....
+1 :smt023 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I wonder if Sam Everleigh might get offered another opportunity in the development squad given what has happened to Gough
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm I wonder if Sam Everleigh might get offered another opportunity in the development squad given what has happened to Gough
Sorry kpj tiger ~ but that sounds a bit like selling the warm bed slippers of a deceased pensioner.
I am sure you did not mean it that way but my thoughts and I expect many others are on the long term recovery of a young Tiger at the dawn of his career. Other matters will take there course.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm I wonder if Sam Everleigh might get offered another opportunity in the development squad given what has happened to Gough
I'd been thinking similar I must say, kpj. Gough had been impressing in a terrible Yorkshire side this season. It pales into insignificance with his awful accident but of our development squad back rows Thom Smith and Taylor would have been my first shouts to step-up whilst finishing this season. It's so so sad and conversations of squad depth will inevitably seem glib in the circumstances.

Eveleigh always impressed and he looked a good leader at U18 level. Not the biggest but he's strong at the breakdown and in defence. When we released him I thought immediately that I could see him spending one season in the Championship then bouncing back up.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 pm Not announced.

Although I suspect with Corona they might have some kind of loophole for this year.
"Sur proposition de la Commission Paritaire du rugby professionnel composée de l'UCPR, PROVALE et TECH
XV, le Comité Directeur a acté la création d'un dispositif spécifique permettant de favoriser le retour à
l'emploi des joueurs sans contrat pour la saison 2020-2021 à la clôture de la période des mutations
programmer le 15 juillet 2020.
Ce dispositif prévoit notamment une période de mutation spécifique pour ces joueurs allant de la fin des
périodes de mutations (soit le 15 juillet 2020) jusqu’au 31 janvier 2021. Ces joueurs ne seront pas considérés
comme jokers médicaux ou "joueurs supplémentaires" ni comptabilisés dans le nombre maximum de
contrats professionnels autorisés. Leur rémunération sera en revanche incluse dans le Salary Cap."

So not sure if that means out of contract former players or all players?
I read it to be players whose contracts have expired who will have an extended period from the 15th July deadline until 31st January
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Look at Worcester, they’ve just appointed a club captain, assistant club captain and team captain.

I could see Team Captain being T Youngs. Club captain being Ford with Liebenberg assistant.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Look at Worcester, they’ve just appointed a club captain, assistant club captain and team captain.

I could see Team Captain being T Youngs. Club captain being Ford with Liebenberg assistant.
Youngs and Ford the wrong way imo