LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 am Viljeon announced by Lions
Leicester Lions ?
No
SA Lions..
Thought so couldn’t see him trotting out on Leicester road
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by westwinds31 »

I've lowered my expectations regarding signings after the last month or so. Remember the Mapimpi/Itoje "rumours" that, however you take them, can't help but get your hopes up. Could he ? Would he ? It was mentioned that a couple of "bodies" had signed but that visas and movement were a problem so they weren't sure when they'd be arriving in country. I mean, if they arrive this week (highly unlikely), they're unlikely to be ready for the re-start. Also, the rumours have pretty much dried up, aside from what has already been mentioned. I think it's more likely that we get a couple of Springboks that Walters has recommended from his travels.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:49 am I've lowered my expectations regarding signings after the last month or so. Remember the Mapimpi/Itoje "rumours" that, however you take them, can't help but get your hopes up. Could he ? Would he ? It was mentioned that a couple of "bodies" had signed but that visas and movement were a problem so they weren't sure when they'd be arriving in country. I mean, if they arrive this week (highly unlikely), they're unlikely to be ready for the re-start. Also, the rumours have pretty much dried up, aside from what has already been mentioned. I think it's more likely that we get a couple of Springboks that Walters has recommended from his travels.
As I’ve said before if that is the case and they have the same impact as Exeter’s 2 unknown South Africans I’ll be more than happy.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:49 am I've lowered my expectations regarding signings after the last month or so. Remember the Mapimpi/Itoje "rumours" that, however you take them, can't help but get your hopes up. Could he ? Would he ? It was mentioned that a couple of "bodies" had signed but that visas and movement were a problem so they weren't sure when they'd be arriving in country. I mean, if they arrive this week (highly unlikely), they're unlikely to be ready for the re-start. Also, the rumours have pretty much dried up, aside from what has already been mentioned. I think it's more likely that we get a couple of Springboks that Walters has recommended from his travels.
I know it might seem a bit woke, but Murphy's preference for the term 'bodies' seems desperately unenlightened. I had a friend who owned a well known security company and once asked what he looked for in the people he employed. He replied "a pulse". It was funny at the moment, but actually said more about him than it did those people with a pulse that he employed some of whom were probably more gifted than him but hadn't been as fortunate as him to be born with a silver spoon.

The language of leaders matters because it shapes culture and the attitudes of the people you lead. Is the word 'player' so difficult?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm
I know it might seem a bit woke, but Murphy's preference for the term 'bodies' seems desperately unenlightened. I had a friend who owned a well known security company and once asked what he looked for in the people he employed. He replied "a pulse". It was funny at the moment, but actually said more about him than it did those people with a pulse that he employed some of whom were probably more gifted than him but hadn't been as fortunate as him to be born with a silver spoon.

The language of leaders matters because it shapes culture and the attitudes of the people you lead. Is the word 'player' so difficult?
IMO you’re reading far too much into it. He uses a lot of Irish terms of phrase nothing more to it than that, it really doesn’t matter, if he uses bodies, blokes, men etc.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm Someone asked on a forum if we were picking up the 300k deficit owed to Manu. This was the response

"You really couldn't make it up. From what I understand, the six players will go not just for the breach of contract which is almost absurdly easy to prove and document, but also for breach of confidence and reputational damage. The club released their names without telling them or asking their permission to announce that they were being 'stood down'.

So because of the way that the club management conducted the discussions, they end up losing six good players, still having to pay them (and probably more besides), and potentially losing the credit regarding the salary cap.

They apparently all would have settled for the 25% reduction had they been able to take a small shareholding and reserve their rights, but one of the largest shareholders allegedly kyboshed that deal. I understand that the figures quoted at the time the club was looking for a buyer would have seen his investment to date repaid by a factor of 10."
It saw it suggested that reserving rights was advisable were a player to find himself injured and out of contract.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Geordan does not appear to be giving anything away on recruitment of which positions so is using the term bodies as a general definition for a measure of headcount.
Positions will be apparent as and when new bodies are announced.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 am I'm hoping that the club is using kit launch to give us a name or two, either new signings (they said another 1 or 2 PLUS they plan to replace the 5) or possibly as a way of showing how a certain person who we don't know if they have signed has actually signed...

In all honesty if JT has re-signed then they're not going to announce it today, it'll be tommorow wearing a (pink) change strip!
No problems with a some blush pink Steve, it’s the browns and oranges going through my mind that worry me
Don't get me wrong I'd love a pink change strip! Especially if modelled by Taufua
Anything modelled by Taufua works for me - and I don't care if that sounds wrong!

As to 'pink'.....

McGinity referred to "a new demographic". There is a vast, largely untapped 'demographic' in Leicester - our Indian friends and neighbours. They love their sport - particularly cricket. (They're quite good at it too!) Their national cricket team does not wear pink.......
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am

No problems with a some blush pink Steve, it’s the browns and oranges going through my mind that worry me
Don't get me wrong I'd love a pink change strip! Especially if modelled by Taufua
Anything modelled by Taufua works for me - and I don't care if that sounds wrong!

As to 'pink'.....

McGinity referred to "a new demographic". There is a vast, largely untapped 'demographic' in Leicester - our Indian friends and neighbours. They love their sport - particularly cricket. (They're quite good at it too!) Their national cricket team does not wear pink.......
No they don’t it’s a shade of blue. But what about our Pakistani neighbours, Bangladeshes, or the large number of African Asians that were forced here in the early 70s, or the increasing number of Eastern European’s who are settling in Leicester.

Are you saying that all people from the sub continent are Indian, shock horror probe, ( I know you’re not btw)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I understand where you're coming from Mark but Leicester's Indian heritage is well documented, the Leicester Diwali festival is the biggest in the UK outside of London, I believe. Tigers are clearly trying to appeal to this demographic if indeed the change kit relates to this, and isn't pink. Leicester has a long history with the Indian subcontinent, as previously stated our very name comes from links with the Leicestershire Regiment, which served in India and who's badge was a Tiger.

It is clear to me, that this is building onto the work already started with the Swifts program, in which Leicester is trying to attract more people in Leicester of Asian descent to play rugby.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm I understand where you're coming from Mark but Leicester's Indian heritage is well documented, the Leicester Diwali festival is the biggest in the UK outside of London, I believe. Tigers are clearly trying to appeal to this demographic if indeed the change kit relates to this, and isn't pink. Leicester has a long history with the Indian subcontinent, as previously stated our very name comes from links with the Leicestershire Regiment, which served in India and who's badge was a Tiger.

It is clear to me, that this is building onto the work already started with the Swifts program, in which Leicester is trying to attract more people in Leicester of Asian descent to play rugby.
I don’t want to get into a discussion on the different ethnic origins.
You are quite young so you are possibly not aware of the huge influx of African Asians into the county in the early 1970s due to the policies of Idi Amin.
Look I think it’s great that we are looking to include our diverse culture.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:13 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm I understand where you're coming from Mark but Leicester's Indian heritage is well documented, the Leicester Diwali festival is the biggest in the UK outside of London, I believe. Tigers are clearly trying to appeal to this demographic if indeed the change kit relates to this, and isn't pink. Leicester has a long history with the Indian subcontinent, as previously stated our very name comes from links with the Leicestershire Regiment, which served in India and who's badge was a Tiger.

I don’t want to get into a discussion on the different ethnic origins,
You are quite young so you are possibly not aware of the huge influx of African Asians into the county in the early 1970s due to the policies of Idi Amin.
Look I think it’s great that we are looking to include our diverse culture.
I have been aware of the migration of African Asians because of Idi Amin for a long time, it's part of the city's history.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:26 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm I understand where you're coming from Mark but Leicester's Indian (specifically Hindu) heritage is well documented, the Leicester Diwali festival is the biggest in the UK outside of London, I believe. Tigers are clearly trying to appeal to this demographic if indeed the change kit relates to this, and isn't pink. Leicester has a long history with the Indian subcontinent, as previously stated our very name comes from links with the Leicestershire Regiment, which served in India and who's badge was a Tiger.

I don’t want to get into a discussion on the different ethnic origins, but to say they are Indian, specifically Hindu, is naive at best, insulting at worst. I don’t know what area of Leicester you live in but the I can assure you there are plenty of Sikhs and Muslims in residence too.
Look I think it’s great that we are looking to include our diverse culture, but to say it’s just Indian and Hindu is just incorrect.
I have been aware of the migration of African Asians because of Idi Amin for a long time, it's part of the city's history. I never said Leicester's Asian demographic was "just" Hindu Indian. If you actually read properly what I said there would be no need for this discussion.
You need to make yourself a little clearer then, and stop trying to teach granny to suck eggs. The point I’m trying to make is that whoever originally posted about the Indian cricket team, was wrong in his implication that Asians were Indians, there are many different nationalities involved.
Would it be ok for me to call all people from Central Europe German, because they all have the same skin tone.
Some of us have lived in this city for best part of 60 years and know considerably more about its culture and heritage than you can read in a book or off the internet’s
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

But he said Indians not Asians?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:26 pm

I don’t want to get into a discussion on the different ethnic origins, but to say they are Indian, specifically Hindu, is naive at best, insulting at worst. I don’t know what area of Leicester you live in but the I can assure you there are plenty of Sikhs and Muslims in residence too.
Look I think it’s great that we are looking to include our diverse culture, but to say it’s just Indian and Hindu is just incorrect.
I have been aware of the migration of African Asians because of Idi Amin for a long time, it's part of the city's history. I never said Leicester's Asian demographic was "just" Hindu Indian. If you actually read properly what I said there would be no need for this discussion.
You need to make yourself a little clearer then, and stop trying to teach granny to suck eggs. The point I’m trying to make is that whoever originally posted about the Indian cricket team, was wrong in his implication that Asians were Indians, there are many different nationalities involved.
Would it be ok for me to call all people from Central Europe German, because they all have the same skin tone.
Some of us have lived in this city for best part of 60 years and know considerably more about its culture and heritage than you can read in a book or off the internet’s
And to make things worse you’ve now edited your original post
Apologies for anything that was unclear, I did not intend to generalise but was merely pointing out Leicester's notability for its Diwali festivals and why the change jersey might be reflecting the city's Hindu heritage . I can't speak for Strawclearer but I was referring to the subcontinent rather than the country, it's the same thing as to referring to myself as British and English or to use your example Central European and let's say Denmark, but apologies to anyone if this was badly presented on my behalf. I know full well the diversity of the city and the county and was by no means suggesting the vast majority of Asian descended people in Leicester are Hindu.