LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Traveller »

It seems to me that a number of contributors seem to be suffering from some form of Organisational PTSD. The trauma of the last three four years of dismal performances and decision making at Board level, which has resulted in the annual trip to Twickenham being cancelled, being translated into every subsequent decision made by the the club inevitably being incompetent and / or counterproductive..

I was critical of the Boards hiring and firing of coaches and the lack of focus on the academy in favour of 'journeymen' players. However I just can't see how the board can be criticised for the appointments of Pinchen, McGinity, Borthwick and Walters. These are top class people who would be on the short list for any other club in the premiership, probably the world. It also demonstrates that they have learnt their lessons and are perfectly capable of making excellent decisions.

30+ players have accepted salary reductions including the England World Cup finalist half backs and an outstanding England loose head. The renewed focus on the academy has resulted in a hugely talented group of young Tigers now pushing for places. There was a time when we celebrated a young Tiger coming through without expecting them to be Martin Johnson from day one. I suspect if Exeter had signed: Brink, Scott, Nadolo, Enever, Henry the PTSD group would be bemoaning our own failure to sign them, arguing how shrewd Baxter was to see value where no-one else saw it. It's why the PTSD group don't trust Borthwick's judgement on the recruitment of a 2nd Row. But if we don't trust him to recruit value for money 2nd Rows- who do we trust?

A Board run by Toms with a former CEO in Cohen and a current CEO in Pinchen probably had the wit to take legal advice.

I don't like quoting Saracen Sanderson, but he is right when he says 'moaners will moan, energisers will energise'.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by fentiger »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 pm
fentiger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:35 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm I mean if you only look for Bad News you will only find bad news.
^^ This!

Some good shots on soshul meja of Nadalo at training today :smt023
He’s a big :censored: isn’t he
Indeed he is! Bondi said he was quaking in his boots taking the photo with him running towards him :smt044
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 pm It seems to me that a number of contributors seem to be suffering from some form of Organisational PTSD. The trauma of the last three four years of dismal performances and decision making at Board level, which has resulted in the annual trip to Twickenham being cancelled, being translated into every subsequent decision made by the the club inevitably being incompetent and / or counterproductive..

I was critical of the Boards hiring and firing of coaches and the lack of focus on the academy in favour of 'journeymen' players. However I just can't see how the board can be criticised for the appointments of Pinchen, McGinity, Borthwick and Walters. These are top class people who would be on the short list for any other club in the premiership, probably the world. It also demonstrates that they have learnt their lessons and are perfectly capable of making excellent decisions.

30+ players have accepted salary reductions including the England World Cup finalist half backs and an outstanding England loose head. The renewed focus on the academy has resulted in a hugely talented group of young Tigers now pushing for places. There was a time when we celebrated a young Tiger coming through without expecting them to be Martin Johnson from day one. I suspect if Exeter had signed: Brink, Scott, Nadolo, Enever, Henry the PTSD group would be bemoaning our own failure to sign them, arguing how shrewd Baxter was to see value where no-one else saw it. It's why the PTSD group don't trust Borthwick's judgement on the recruitment of a 2nd Row. But if we don't trust him to recruit value for money 2nd Rows- who do we trust?

A Board run by Toms with a former CEO in Cohen and a current CEO in Pinchen probably had the wit to take legal advice.

I don't like quoting Saracen Sanderson, but he is right when he says 'moaners will moan, energisers will energise'.
I really can find it irritating when people put “+1” after quoting a post, but...

...+1.

Well said.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Skim reading, saw PTSD mentioned a couple of times, had to pause and re-read, as I thought we’d been linked with Pieter Steph Du Toit....
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

speedski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm Someone asked on a forum if we were picking up the 300k deficit owed to Manu. This was the response

"You really couldn't make it up. From what I understand, the six players will go not just for the breach of contract which is almost absurdly easy to prove and document, but also for breach of confidence and reputational damage. The club released their names without telling them or asking their permission to announce that they were being 'stood down'.

So because of the way that the club management conducted the discussions, they end up losing six good players, still having to pay them (and probably more besides), and potentially losing the credit regarding the salary cap.

They apparently all would have settled for the 25% reduction had they been able to take a small shareholding and reserve their rights, but one of the largest shareholders allegedly kyboshed that deal. I understand that the figures quoted at the time the club was looking for a buyer would have seen his investment to date repaid by a factor of 10."
Read it on the interwebz. Must be true. :smt024 :smt011
As opposed to 'I heard it on LTTV, it must be true'? Given certain members of the Tigers board are rather well known for an 'autocratic' management style, there could be more than a grain of truth in this. I would be astounded if there hasn't been a settlement of some sort.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The "reserving of rights" in this situation means reserving the right to later sue the club for the remaining 25%, does it not? So accepting a pay cut while reserving your rights is really not accepting a pay cut, is it?

That said, the idea of agreeing a contract but saying you reserve your right to disagree with it at a later point is utterly ridiculous and has no basis in law. Therefore, any story claiming such a thing is surely made up.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Would concur with those here that now believe that ' Free Agents' formally of/signed to Premiership clubs are fair game.Lets not morne any loss when there a great many options available and (presumably) funds to back recruitment.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am looking forward entirely from now - no looking back on players/coaches/CEO's etc - want today to be a popcorn day and for me to love the new strips (including the "different" change strip). Shiny happy people holding hands - :smt005 :smt005
Hehehehehehehehe
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 am I am looking forward entirely from now - no looking back on players/coaches/CEO's etc - want today to be a popcorn day and for me to love the new strips (including the "different" change strip). Shiny happy people holding hands - :smt005 :smt005
Strips out tomorrow Trendy 6.30 pm if the shake your app thing is to be believed.
Totally agree about moving forward though
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm hoping that the club is using kit launch to give us a name or two, either new signings (they said another 1 or 2 PLUS they plan to replace the 5) or possibly as a way of showing how a certain person who we don't know if they have signed has actually signed...

In all honesty if JT has re-signed then they're not going to announce it today, it'll be tommorow wearing a (pink) change strip!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 am I'm hoping that the club is using kit launch to give us a name or two, either new signings (they said another 1 or 2 PLUS they plan to replace the 5) or possibly as a way of showing how a certain person who we don't know if they have signed has actually signed...

In all honesty if JT has re-signed then they're not going to announce it today, it'll be tommorow wearing a (pink) change strip!
No problems with a some blush pink Steve, it’s the browns and oranges going through my mind that worry me
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Viljeon announced by Lions
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 am I'm hoping that the club is using kit launch to give us a name or two, either new signings (they said another 1 or 2 PLUS they plan to replace the 5) or possibly as a way of showing how a certain person who we don't know if they have signed has actually signed...

No problems with a some blush pink Steve, it’s the browns and oranges going through my mind that worry me
Don't get me wrong I'd love a pink change strip! Especially if modelled by Taufua
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 am Viljeon announced by Lions
Leicester Lions ?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 am Viljeon announced by Lions
Leicester Lions ?
No
SA Lions..