LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Scott1 »

Someone asked on a forum if we were picking up the 300k deficit owed to Manu. This was the response

"You really couldn't make it up. From what I understand, the six players will go not just for the breach of contract which is almost absurdly easy to prove and document, but also for breach of confidence and reputational damage. The club released their names without telling them or asking their permission to announce that they were being 'stood down'.

So because of the way that the club management conducted the discussions, they end up losing six good players, still having to pay them (and probably more besides), and potentially losing the credit regarding the salary cap.

They apparently all would have settled for the 25% reduction had they been able to take a small shareholding and reserve their rights, but one of the largest shareholders allegedly kyboshed that deal. I understand that the figures quoted at the time the club was looking for a buyer would have seen his investment to date repaid by a factor of 10."
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Scott1 »

Not good if true!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm Someone asked on a forum if we were picking up the 300k deficit owed to Manu. This was the response

"You really couldn't make it up. From what I understand, the six players will go not just for the breach of contract which is almost absurdly easy to prove and document, but also for breach of confidence and reputational damage. The club released their names without telling them or asking their permission to announce that they were being 'stood down'.

So because of the way that the club management conducted the discussions, they end up losing six good players, still having to pay them (and probably more besides), and potentially losing the credit regarding the salary cap.

They apparently all would have settled for the 25% reduction had they been able to take a small shareholding and reserve their rights, but one of the largest shareholders allegedly kyboshed that deal. I understand that the figures quoted at the time the club was looking for a buyer would have seen his investment to date repaid by a factor of 10."
Won't count towards the salary cap because they were stood down before 1 July and left before any games took place so were therefore not available to play for the club in the relevant salary cap window.

Can't comment on the legal situation and neither can anybody else because it is entirely speculation with no knowledge of what the players contracts say and what the outcome of the negotiations were. There's a lot of people who don't like Tigers with an axe to grind hoping and a lot of people trying to sell papers quoting all sorts from unspecified legal experts. Tigers have a legal team and I'm sure there will have been consultations before anything else happened.

The reputational damage thing I can imagine being thrown out within minutes as the names were already leaked to the press and unless they can prove that was done by Tigers before Andrea announced it then there is no case. She mentioned nothing new it was all on the public domain already she just acknowledged and confirmed it.

Also why would the players want shares with the club off the market and the club having never paid a dividend?
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm Someone asked on a forum if we were picking up the 300k deficit owed to Manu. This was the response

Read it on the interwebz. Must be true. :smt024 :smt011
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And Steve Diamond said Manu was a free agent so if that's the case that means the club has already resolved the contract situation with him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I understand that the response is on a serious forum, but we’ve been over all this before and it is all sensational posting.
If there is any legal action following this I shall be highly surprised.

I can imagine some of the judges I’ve appeared before, not as a defendant.

So Mr Tuilagi you turned down a contract for £350k and accepted another one for £200k and you expect me to compensate you for loss of earnings. And what is this good name you speak of, as they flick through Manus publicity file.

The legal system is encouraged to look at the real world these days

The rest of them have practically zero commercial value.

I know there’s no rugby but let’s put this to bed now until something happens or Freddie sues someone’s :censored: off
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The guy who posted it was the same guy who broke the "players revolt " story before the press did! I actually posted it on here but TB deleted it.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm The guy who posted it was the same guy who broke the "players revolt " story before the press did! I actually posted it on here but TB deleted it.
Batemans mate, the revolt didn’t quite live up to prediction.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No,wise heads prevailed but it's funny that that was leaked as was this too. Maybe that's why he was let go,and that's where the ill feeling is coming from and it's just being magnified,who knows? Regardless if the revolt was exaggerated or not,the fact that it got out before the press ran with it isnt good.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The guy might have leaked the "revolt" but a lot of what he said there seems more personal opinion.
For example
"almost absurdly easy to prove" which it isn't especially when you sign a new contract within a week elsewhere.

losing 6 good player neither here nor there. 3 of them are losses 2 of them would've been off end of next season.
re.Salary cap should termination payments happen is only for the rest of this season, so again neither here nor there.

Reality is the press most likely had it before and from the same source, some journalists tend to double check sources when it comes to bigger news before they break it. It tends to be why Fissler is quick with the rumours he isn't held to as "high a standard"
Last edited by RagingBull on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

A friend of a friends mother in law was talking to the postman who said that JMH was spotted at the local SPAR shop, just maybe just maybe the messiah is coming😂😂😂
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbh I just want the whole saga to be over,as you can probably guess I'm a worrier haha! Weve been poor for a while and everyone still wants to kick us when we are down. Be nice to turn a corner now and have some good luck!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean if you only look for Bad News you will only find bad news.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm I mean if you only look for Bad News you will only find bad news.
^^ This!

Some good shots on soshul meja of Nadalo at training today :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:35 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm I mean if you only look for Bad News you will only find bad news.
^^ This!

Some good shots on soshul meja of Nadalo at training today :smt023
He’s a big :censored: isn’t he