LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Traveller »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:57 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:42 pm I am disappointed - so much for the supposed gentlemen’s agreement.
The talent leaving WR does concern me.
I am not s concerned about the players leaving (OK JT would be a concern if he goes). Looking at those leaving, the relationship between the club and TV does not seem to have been right for a while. Guessing he would have gone next year anyway. GB and KE were squad players and Bateman was not always second choice. That just leaves MT. Money, pure and simple. Not willing to take a pay cut so found a situation whereby he still got paid what he felt he deserved. Yes, money is important but I had expected more from him and if you are purely playing for what you can earn from it then I would rather you played elsewhere.

Time will tell in relation to all of these departures. We may live to regret it as Manu shows the form that we all know that he is capable of at Sale. it is, however, just as likely that he will get crocked in the first few matches or on England duty and they only see him a couple of times on that 12 month contract.

At least Borthwick has some cap to play with to put together his own team.
In fairness the talent extends to Holmes & May too so with TV & Tuilagi that’s our 4 most likely try scorers over the past few seasons all gone.

I’m not saying the team can’t recover but they are big losses and most would argue they are our 4 of our 5 best backs all gone with Ford remaining.

As ever with sport you can argue every which way, until the matches come around we are guessing but I’d think it tough for any team to lose 4 players of that quality from a squad
Can't help thinking that Matt Scott will be far more than an adequate replacement for Eastmond or Reid - both of whom were anaemic in their performances. Nemani Nadolo clearly offers something (a replacement for May). So in the backs we're really talking about Tuilagi, Holmes and TV. There is clearly money to spend and some local talent coming through plus newsboy Henry. So I'm quite phlegmatic about it all. The coaching is the key.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Mark62 »

So Deadly Dunc has noticed that our top try scorers have been back 3 players and outside centre.
Do you think that is going to be any different from the majority of rugby teams?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm So Deadly Dunc has noticed that our top try scorers have been back 3 players and outside centre.
Do you think that is going to be any different from the majority of rugby teams?
Waldrom spent most of his career out there didn't he!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:21 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am He is one of our marquee players so if he does go hopefully we have the funds to get a big name replacement :smt023
It depends which season he is declared as a marquee.
I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed who our 2nd marquee player is/was after Ford.
We assume it’s either Taufua or Lavanini, but I can’t recollect that ever being confirmed
I’m not sure Ford was last season.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 pm So only 2 left to find out.
Eastmond and Bateman.

With no idea what is going on with Taufua.
The saga is nearly over!
Find out what? The last club statement said they were no longer employed by the club. Or are you just curious what they will be doing/were they're going?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ads wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:44 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 pm So only 2 left to find out.
Eastmond and Bateman.

With no idea what is going on with Taufua.
The saga is nearly over!
Find out what? The last club statement said they were no longer employed by the club. Or are you just curious what they will be doing/were they're going?
Yeh you know get complete closure if possible.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

:smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

All eyes on Jan McGinity though I guess.
It was said we had some players signed and waiting on them getting into the UK before announcing before these 5/6 leavers.
Wonder who they are.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm All eyes on Jan McGinity though I guess.
It was said we had some players signed and waiting on them getting into the UK before announcing before these 5/6 leavers.
Wonder who they are.
Three names I've heard rumoured are Matt Toomua, Brendan O'Conner and Steve Mafi.......It's back to the future.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm All eyes on Jan McGinity though I guess.
Wonder who they are.
Three names I've heard rumoured are Matt Toomua, Brendan O'Conner and Steve Mafi.......It's back to the future.
To be fair, given the current global problems, all three would be reasonable signings. Toomua in particular.

The other two more dependent on the Taufua situation.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wonder who they are.
All are 30 - although, from the Not-Not's website, Mafi is trying to hide it.....

https://www.london-irish.com/players/st ... 270120248/
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

We should concern ourselves with those who want to be at The Club.For all the 'talent' lost we have not exactly been pulling up trees recently.Add to who we have,what we have and hopefully we will see a new,hungry team grow and new talent will flourish.Always look to the future, not backwards to the past.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Louis

Post by Louis »

Wonder who they are.
Shortly to be followed by the signings of Prince Obolensky, Dean Richards, and Richard Cockerill.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm
Wonder who they are.
:smt015
I mis-read that as Matt O'Connor then :smt010
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm So Deadly Dunc has noticed that our top try scorers have been back 3 players and outside centre.
Fair cop but you know what I meant - the squad (as is) is short of proven top level try scorers, Nadolo aside.