LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by ay2oh »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:21 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am He is one of our marquee players so if he does go hopefully we have the funds to get a big name replacement :smt023
It depends which season he is declared as a marquee.
I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed who our 2nd marquee player is/was after Ford.
We assume it’s either Taufua or Lavanini, but I can’t recollect that ever being confirmed
It was not confirmed but with Taufua’s emotional ties to NZ I just believe it would have taken a big offer to tempt him to up sticks and move to England :smt023
A2O
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by jgriffin »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:08 am
fortysix wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 am Put your money on Exeter. Cull our :censored: top management if true...
So you think that everyone except Taufua should have been given a 25% pay cut :smt006 :smt017 :
Some posters live in a pre-COVID19 world.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed who our 2nd marquee player is/was after Ford.
We assume it’s either Taufua or Lavanini, but I can’t recollect that ever being confirmed
It was not confirmed but with Taufua’s emotional ties to NZ I just believe it would have taken a big offer to tempt him to up sticks and move to England :smt023
Lavanini and Taufua would be on similarly sized contracts when they joined I'd guess. When Lavanini signed he was coming of an excellent Super Rugby campaign and Rugby Championship in which he seemed to have got his discipline under control but kept that edge. Between signing and joining Tigers there was the small incident of nearly decapitating Owen Farrell with a high tackle. That aside his discipline in the last 2 seasons has genuinely been much better!

With regards to the recent renegotiation of contracts Taufua might be in a stronger position by virtue of a lot of good international second rows being on the market, a few due to the Jags being in flux. Mostert has left Gloucester. Alemanno is still unattached, being targeted by ourselves, Gloucester (Mostert replacement) and France. Petti and Kremer has signed in France. Retallick is also out of contract currently so will have been inundated with offers but he seems intent on taking a genuine break.

There have been a lot of good locks on market recently but not as many back rows who can cove 6/7/8 to the standard of Taufau.

With regards to Alemanno I think it sums up how good a player he is that Gloucester are targeting him as a replacement for the exceptional Mostert. He usually benches behind Petti for Argentina but given how good Petti is it's easy to overlook how strong a set-piece lock Alemanno has proven himself to be at Test level. I'm still holding out hope he will be Spencer's replacement.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

It does seem that the Taufua situation is going on for too long now, even after allowing extra time beyond his isolation.
GM and Jan Mac have both recently made strong points about 'wanting to draw a line in the sand' and look forwards, and so it suggests that they would need to have this resolved by now.
Yesterday, JT re-tweeted Fereti Tuilagi's angry tweet to TRP. Maybe it's of no relevance to his own situation, but it might also show where his thinking is atm.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

MurphysLaw wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am It does seem that the Taufua situation is going on for too long now, even after allowing extra time beyond his isolation.
GM and Jan Mac have both recently made strong points about 'wanting to draw a line in the sand' and look forwards, and so it suggests that they would need to have this resolved by now.
Yesterday, JT re-tweeted Fereti Tuilagi's angry tweet to TRP. Maybe it's of no relevance to his own situation, but it might also show where his thinking is atm.
I think Taufua retweeted that for similar reasons that Genge has hit out at rugby press recently for the tripe they publish. Most of it completely unsourced and just stirring the pot which often causes fans to jump to uninformed conclusions about the character of players the rumours are being spouted about.

That said Freddie T is most certainly an agent who uses that spin in the media more than most to help negotiations for the players he represents so there may be a bit of hypocrisy in Freddie getting upset about it!

With cap freed up by Manu, Veainu, Bateman, Reid and Eastmond the Taufau situation being ongoing shouldn't affect discussions with potential starters at lock, 13 and wing for the 2020/21 season. Which should be priorities for recruitment IMO. As such I'm happy with discussions being on going with Taufua if it keeps a foot in the door with him. If the uncertainty around cap spending due discussions with JT were preventing us pushing a signing such as Alemanno over the line then it'd be a different discussion. So much cap space has just been freed up that I doubt that's the case though.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 pm Manu confirmed to sale

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/manu-tui ... le-sharks/
Backed up by the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53388978

"........Sale have acted quickly to secure his services on a cut-price deal...."
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

Don’t buy the emotional ties given that he was rumoured to be looking at playing for Samoa. No matter how good he is, we were signing an uncapped back rower in his mid 20s, coming from a country where salaries are lower, for non All Black squad members. The rumoured £300k would not have made him a marquee signing

I do agree now that it is time to draw a line in the sand and move on, no matter the result.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Longshanks wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Backed up by the BBC:

"........Sale have acted quickly to secure his services on a cut-price deal...."
And confirmed on Sale's website

https://www.salesharks.com/2020/07/13/s ... u-tuilagi/
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Backed up by the BBC:

Cut price in terms of they won’t be paying what he was being paid pre pandemic.
You forget he’s 29, hardly in the summer of his career
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

a one year deal
Hehehehehehehehe
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Backed up by the BBC:

Of course. If that's the case and he has accepted a 25% or more cut from Sale on a 1-year deal then what has all of this been for? Especially as Tigers were offering a mechanism to potentially recoup some of the 25%.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am guessing a negotiated settlement from Tigers paying a lump sum of a percentage of his contract coupled with the deal signed with Sale could leave him earning the same or more than his current contract albeit paid by 2 clubs. Both with have seen themselves as having a decent outcome with Tigers potentially paying a fraction of what was owed under the contract, Sale getting Manu at a salary far lower than may be expected and Manu getting full wages or more for the next 12 months, the England money, Lions availability and an exit to a lucrative foreign contract next year. As long as we were not stung too badly on the settlement, there is the potential that everyone has come out of this relatively happy (except for those Tigers fans who have issues with the way Manu has acted).
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I think we need to rein back the expectation a bit. In an ideal world, losing the quality of Tuilagi, Veianu and Taufua, you’d expect a lot of cap would be available to bring some big names in. Listening to McGinity though, this isn’t a normal market place regarding recruitment and plucking some international quality in each of those positions isn’t going to be easy. I suspect we could be looking at short term deals to see us through until we can be in a position to offer something a bit more long term. Which again, is going to be tricky. Who wants to join for a few months ?

The site of Manu in a Sale shirt is pretty hard to take though....I’ll admit.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Longshanks wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Backed up by the BBC:

Of course. If that's the case and he has accepted a 25% or more cut from Sale on a 1-year deal then what has all of this been for? Especially as Tigers were offering a mechanism to potentially recoup some of the 25%.
If he's only wanting a 1 year deal then the recoup would be meaningless.