LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by RagingBull »

My gut feeling is saying that Taufua is more off than staying.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by ay2oh »

Why not just say so then ?
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I don't think TV would say JT is off unless it were true. No suggestion he was trolling, so that's good enough for me. I've already accepted this in my head. Shame. Big shame.

And I think it hasn't been announced simply due to the delay with JT being in qurantine and giving all parties right until the last minute before calling it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

My feeling is slightly the opposite in that, if there was not a reasonable chance of agreement being made, it would have made more sense of rip the plaster off and take the pain last week rather than draw the saga out any longer. Fully appreciate that more time needed to be given as he was in quarantine but with Zoom meetings etc, it would not have been that hard to hammer this out whilst he was locked down.

The cynic in me is thinking whether some of the cash saved from the leavers last week could be being applied to sweeten the deal on offer a little.

With only 48 hours to go, part of me is now suspecting announcements tied in with the kit reveal on Wednesday.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

He is one of our marquee players so if he does go hopefully we have the funds to get a big name replacement :smt023
A2O
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Put your money on Exeter. Cull our :censored: top management if true...
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

fortysix wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 am Put your money on Exeter. Cull our :censored: top management if true...
So you think that everyone except Taufua should have been given a 25% pay cut :smt006 :smt017 :
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I don’t know whether Taufua will stay or go, I think a week ago McGinty was confident there was a good chance he’ll stay, but much can change in 7 days.

Call me cynical but no doubt if it is announced he’s going, the same day it will be released Montoya signed for next season and some other signings revealed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I doubt it's Exeter if he does, that all started cause of one twitter post from a guy whose old source of info left the club.

Top 14 deadline is coming up.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’m at the point where I’d just like a decision to be made, if he’s stays, great, but if he leaves, the so be it, we should have a decent amount of salary cap to recruit someone that wants to be here.
That’s not meant to be a criticism of the leavers, they have to make their own decisions based on their own circumstances. The changes bought about by the current climate do make it awkward, players had agreed deals that are now being retracted, albeit for the need of club survival, not through personal issues. But ultimately, we refresh the squad with players that sign up knowingly based on what’s on the table now.

I do feel there is something deliberately being held back for the mit launch on Wednesday. I think the club must have some good news to share. Taufua was given an extra week, are we not getting closer to two weeks now??

On the subject of the leavers, I do find it hard to see how Manu‘a potential arrival at Sale will not bring some disharmony. Players have had to/agreed to take paycuts across board because of the financial strain the club is under, and Sale appear to have managed to do this across the board, no players stood down, only ones released were OOC anyhow. Now the they sign a centre known to have been amongst the highest earners in the league, who rejected a paycut and that is how he is available. You’d feel aggrieved if the club told you to take a paycut to help them survive, only to then see them drop big cash on a new player.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am He is one of our marquee players so if he does go hopefully we have the funds to get a big name replacement :smt023
It depends which season he is declared as a marquee.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 am My gut feeling is saying that Taufua is more off than staying.
Tend to agree with this, don’t really buy into this isolation stuff, there is FaceTime, Zoom, WhatsApp, all which have the facility for real time video calling, no different to being in a meeting really.
If he’s going then will be a big loss, he is a fantastic player, but let’s hope it doesn’t get dragged out, club need to set him set him a deadline imo
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am He is one of our marquee players so if he does go hopefully we have the funds to get a big name replacement :smt023
It depends which season he is declared as a marquee.
I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed who our 2nd marquee player is/was after Ford.
We assume it’s either Taufua or Lavanini, but I can’t recollect that ever being confirmed
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

If he goes, he goes. I hope he stays because he's obviously a good player, but if his heart isn't in it then he should not stay.

I think we have a good enough squad and good enough coaches now to move us up a couple of place in the league, and next season we'll have had more chance for young players to get some good game time and look for alternatives.

I'm just looking forward to a decent show at Exeter and then really try to smash teams at home. If JT is with us, great. If not we do it without him.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The difficulty Marquee players have I believe is that they can't just become a marquee player in another prem club. I seem to remember that if you have played for a prem club in the last 3 years then you are ineligible for that status in a different club. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hehehehehehehehe