LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Tiglon »

I imagine Murphy is extremely relieved with Borthwick finally on board. Keeping the seat warm for so long can be pretty exhausting, especially in such a high pressure situation. Although I don't think he did a great job (it is a results based business after all), well done to him for keeping it together, taking all the criticism and doing what needed to be done. Murphy the HC is now in the past and I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing what he can do as DoR with Borthwick, McGinity etc alongside.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by kpj tiger »

I thought there were a few interesting soundbites from tonights LTTV

Jan saying that some of the players who have left would have probably gone in the next year or so anyway

Several hints at more than one incoming signing that would have happened regardless of the last couple weeks

We are looking to replace all 5 players who have left
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:58 pm I imagine Murphy is extremely relieved with Borthwick finally on board. Keeping the seat warm for so long can be pretty exhausting, especially in such a high pressure situation. Although I don't think he did a great job (it is a results based business after all), well done to him for keeping it together, taking all the criticism and doing what needed to be done. Murphy the HC is now in the past and I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing what he can do as DoR with Borthwick, McGinity etc alongside.
Agreed, I'm pretty optimistic for the future with the setup we now have at the top, Murphy, Borthwick and McGinity have all come across really well in recent weeks
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Yes confirmed we have signed replacements, could be announced soon although could have potential holds up with visas and flight restrictions getting them into the UK.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

More from LTTV - No conclusion yet on the Jordan Taufua situation.
I agree - Jan comes across very well - another good addition. He has had a busy week - and he is talking to potential new signings to replace the 5.

GM confirmed that there were some new signings coming, and whilst he refused to name them (he did say maybe, maybe next week), I think he also went on to say that he was looking forward to getting them in the country and working with them.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Also liked the way they spoke about the young lads, especially when Jan was saying about some of them not signing contract extensions so they can prove they will be worth more in a year or two.

Positivity can only be a good thing!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Plus the fact that they do intend to spend up to the cap next year, even given current financial constraints. Some clubs may not be able to do that.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel with these talks the club seems more modern.
Mcginity - Class act and you can see why he was a top agent, seems to have a great appreciation for characters also.
Murphy - Seems so much more relaxed in his new role, his passion is coming through a lot again, you can hear the excitement talking about the players and the club now.
Borthwick - Very excited to see what he will do espcially with our pack.
Pinchen - Hardest start to a CEO job in Tigers history? but put on a dominate front I thought.
Can't wait to hear from Aled and Rod.

Signings have on paper looked very good so far.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Genuinely excited.

It feels like Murphy has a new lease of life and can focus on the things that really make him tick.

A lot has been made of the outgoings and contract stuff. But it seems to me we have been proactive, measured and also managed to move on from players that we were no longer that keen on paying in some instances.

We now have a young squad, a seemingly professional staff and some key veterans committed long term. Not only that but a ton of cap flexibility, too and as we've done our business early, we are now in pole position for any available players.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

With a bit of luck on the field which we are surely due, we might of got ahead of some of the other teams in having a long term base to build on.
The fact about some players wanting to prove they are better than their contract off is a massive positive, it all sounds great, it's what happens next now.
Sounds like there will be a large Fijian on the training paddock Mon as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Seems to be have been made pretty clear we have a couple of players signed up already, and are also going to replace the five departures aswell, albeit I got the impression perhaps not like for like? My assumption here is the two players already in may well be one back five forward (Kalamafoni replacement), and one back three back (Holmes replacement), that’s just a guess though.

It doesn’t surprise me to hear the majority of our remaining signings to come from abroad, especially when you look at the relative backgrounds of our new coaching setup.

McGinity was on record previously as saying that is where there is huge value to be sought in South Africa, plus he said during the interview he has contacts there. Add to that, Walters you’d assume would have had some serious insight into development players on the fringe of the springbok radar during his time in their setup. Additionally McGinity arrived with a strong record for having recruited some very talented Pacific Islanders to the Scottish regions.

Taylor is a kiwi by birth and began his coaching career with Auckland’s age grade sides, and completes his early coaching certificates with Scott Robertson (Crusaders coach) and Andre Bell (Fiji assistant coach), not bad contacts to have. Latterly he coached in the Aussie NRC, the tier directly below the Super Rugby franchises, so you’d assume he had some serious insight into some of the up and coming players perhaps on the verge of breaking through into super rugby, who may now be looking for alternative employment, similar to the situation Exeter have jut seen with the EQ Aussie 10 they announced today.

Finally, Borthwick spent quite some time working with Eddie Jones, notably in Japan where they recruit Southern Hemisphere players, notably Pacific Islanders and look to get them citizenship. Is it possible he has some contacts there still.

I’m not against recruiting from abroad, so long as they buy into what we want to achieve. Let the academy stream through the EQ players, and supplement with some astute OS signings, it’s what we did well during the glory days with the likes of Stransky, Van Heerden, Gibson, Rabeni etc. It’s what Exeter have done well lately with the likes of Nic White, Rob Simmons, Dave Dennis, plus the two South African forwards this year.

Anyhow, on to the LTTV interview tonight. Understanding it is obviously going to be relatively scripted to put a positive spin on things after recent events, still I was really impressed by the almost cathartic mood, like a weight of uncertainty has been lifted and now they can face the future with fresh positivity. I like the look of the coaching setup, Borthwick should add some real edge to our forward play, especially lineout and maul. We know what Boris is capable of. And I have particular interest in what Taylor can bring to our attack, as his CV reads very well. Walters record speaks for itself, and fitness seemed to be an issue in recent seasons, getting drilled late in games.

Very interested to see the final pieces of the recruitment jigsaw, but even more interested to see what impression some of the younger lads can make during the remainder of the season to put themselves firmly into first team picture, namely Heyes, Lavin/Taylor/Smith and Steward etc.

Finally, it seems highly likely that there is more than just the shirt getting unveiled next week. What better may to drive home the positivity than have a new player or two displaying the new kit. Real positive times ahead I think, there’s a whole different mood about the place. Fresh start with a balanced coaching team capable of putting a cohesive gameplan together hopefully, and getting the team to a level capable of executing it. McGinity looks a real shrewd appointment too, really like what he has to say, talks with real clarity and insight.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Can't wait to hear from Aled and Rod. quote.

Sorry to correct you RB when you do such a fantastic job with the front page but it is Rob Taylor Assistant Coach not Rod.
Geordan said the Chairman got it wrong calling him Rod.

I wonder if Bondi will do a "Shirts unveiling!" LTTV on Wednesday with new signings within?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

wormus wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:55 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Can't wait to hear from Aled and Rod. quote.

Sorry to correct you RB when you do such a fantastic job with the front page but it is Rob Taylor Assistant Coach not Rod.
Geordan said the Chairman got it wrong calling him Rod.

I wonder if Bondi will do a "Shirts unveiling!" LTTV on Wednesday with new signings within?
I thought that was the club's nickname for him now.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

LTTV - again another great and informative watch.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 pm I feel with these talks the club seems more modern.
Mcginity - Class act and you can see why he was a top agent, seems to have a great appreciation for characters also.
Murphy - Seems so much more relaxed in his new role, his passion is coming through a lot again, you can hear the excitement talking about the players and the club now.
Borthwick - Very excited to see what he will do espcially with our pack.
Pinchen - Hardest start to a CEO job in Tigers history? but put on a dominate front I thought.
Can't wait to hear from Aled and Rod.

Signings have on paper looked very good so far.
I’ll know we’re finally a modern club when I own a pair of Leicester Tigers OddBall underpants! 😂