LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:19 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. He’ll quickly be off to France or Japan.

The Huw Jones rumours are interesting, could be a very good piece of business with him and Scott in the centres.
:smt023 Don’t really get the negativity all rugby players have injuries, just think it’s some posters default setting
In my view, a substantial majority of centres have had longterm injuries, it's just the caveat of their position.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by RichieB »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 am Summary of club statement notified by fentiger. The 5 have employment ended. JT more time for discussion.
Wouldn't it be fun to write one of these press releases and actually say - very bluntly - what you would really like to say? I'm not criticizing the press release at all, it is well written in my opinion. Perhaps when I have more time and less concern about upsetting people I will....
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 am Some clarity at least, surely the Taufua thing needs sorting one way or another asap for both parties.
Agree on both points. Maybe wishful thinking but I suspect, or at least hope, that we are now on a much sounder financial footing than most other clubs. Ours has been a much more radical approach than any other premiership club on the playing side at least. I hope it pays dividends over then next 2 full seasons.
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

Well done the club for the announcement this morning. If players don't want to play for us then cut them loose, do it swiftly and publicly, so there is no comeback. Loyalty is a much bandied about word that seemingly has little relevance for some people ie when you are constantly injured and in trouble. Well done to those Tigers who have stuck with the club in these unprecedented times.

Yes Manu, on a good day, is a big loss but let's be honest how many of those have there been lately? Telusa, again on a good day is a game changer, but these have been fewer and further between. Would like to keep JT if possible as I think of the 3 marquee names in question he has the best chance of making an impact. As for the others, they are easily replaced and I am sure we will be stronger for it.

I am looking forward to new life and blood in the team, from the coaching team down.

Now what is this new shirt going to look like.......
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. He’ll quickly be off to France or Japan.

The Huw Jones rumours are interesting, could be a very good piece of business with him and Scott in the centres.
:smt023 Don’t really get the negativity all rugby players have injuries, just think it’s some posters default setting
In my view, a substantial majority of centres have had longterm injuries, it's just the caveat of their position.
A good point JP14. Defend in the outside channel like a winger, defend the inside channel like a flanker and when sides are struggling for momentum they often have to run the crash ball lines used to try to shift the point of attack.

From the 6 Nations sides in recent years. Jon Davies, Jamie Roberts and Scott Williams with Wales. Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar with Scotland. Manu and JJ with England. Henshaw and more recently Jacob Stockdale starting to struggle a bit. Fofana with France. Campagnaro with Italy.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Could it be that JT has agreed a new contract but Tigers want to use the new kit launch to announce it ? :smt003
A2O
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

JT in the new kit? would be good PR
cheers
Rich
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:18 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 am

A good point JP14. Defend in the outside channel like a winger, defend the inside channel like a flanker and when sides are struggling for momentum they often have to run the crash ball lines used to try to shift the point of attack.

From the 6 Nations sides in recent years. Jon Davies, Jamie Roberts and Scott Williams with Wales. Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar with Scotland. Manu and JJ with England. Henshaw and more recently Jacob Stockdale starting to struggle a bit. Fofana with France. Campagnaro with Italy.
Fofana is some player, he would have been something even more for France if he was able to stay fit for just a bit longer.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just throwing names out there, as I like to do. I reckon Stephen Perofeta of the Blues could be an apt replacement to fill in the fullback hole left by Veainu. A playmaker 15 that can play 10, he's very a balanced runner, with an effective boot and a decent step on him too, would be a more economical option than others.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

what's the DMac situation these days?
cheers
Rich
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rykard wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:29 am what's the DMac situation these days?
Well with Hanson off he most likely feels he might have a chance now.
If Hansen was staying I think he would be on the market.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Looking at who has stayed, extended and confirmed gone there is an argument that the club has used covid as an opportunity to accelerate the departure of these five players and I strongly suspect that is why there has been reported discontent - rather than the cuts to salary itself. Using Covid as the reason to discuss contracts Jan, GM and SB have effectively reshaped the squad a year ahead of where they expected to be as all 5 of these players were coming into their last year, I think.

As with Jonny May, they have cut out large wages in the backline through Veianu and Manu leaving who for varying reasons all can be argued to not have provided value for money. Harsh in my opinion, but the debate has been had on these forums.

Bateman, Reid, Eastmond have likely all paid the price for their age & squad profile, with the club taking the view that they are not in their long-term plans (so no extension offer maybe?) with alternatives in the academy or better quality external replacements. This is consistent with departures of kalamafoni, Tatafu, Spencer, Thompson, Holmes and age of their identified replacements.
This is all conjecture on my part but it would not surprise me if a calculated approach by the club is why those 5 are unhappy and why the rest of the squad has bought into it with some hefty extensions to key players.

If this is the case and the process has been more managed than it appeared initially then the club should be announcing some players to replace them shortly - especially in the centres! Chris Egerton has now mentioned Matias Orlandi a couple of times...
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

^^ Always ways to turn a bad situation into a good one IMO.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Excellent article in the times from Ben Youngs.

Reading from my iphone thanks to 6 months free Apple news.
Some snippets
"Ben Youngs accepted a pay cut and signed a new deal at Leicester Tigers because he knew that rugby earnings were never going to set him up for life and “you don’t jump ship when the going gets tough”.
“Tom Croft is a great friend of mine. He played his whole career at Leicester and he’s very proud to be a one-club man. Hopefully now I have that opportunity.“We have now got people in place to make it successful again. I feel a massive responsibility to invest as heavily as I can to turn things around and to give back to some of the younger players coming through.”
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

TA30 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:48 am Looking at who has stayed, extended and confirmed gone there is an argument that the club has used covid as an opportunity to accelerate the departure of these five players and I strongly suspect that is why there has been reported discontent - rather than the cuts to salary itself. Using Covid as the reason to discuss contracts Jan, GM and SB have effectively reshaped the squad a year ahead of where they expected to be as all 5 of these players were coming into their last year, I think.

As with Jonny May, they have cut out large wages in the backline through Veianu and Manu leaving who for varying reasons all can be argued to not have provided value for money. Harsh in my opinion, but the debate has been had on these forums.

Bateman, Reid, Eastmond have likely all paid the price for their age & squad profile, with the club taking the view that they are not in their long-term plans (so no extension offer maybe?) with alternatives in the academy or better quality external replacements. This is consistent with departures of kalamafoni, Tatafu, Spencer, Thompson, Holmes and age of their identified replacements.
This is all conjecture on my part but it would not surprise me if a calculated approach by the club is why those 5 are unhappy and why the rest of the squad has bought into it with some hefty extensions to key players.

If this is the case and the process has been more managed than it appeared initially then the club should be announcing some players to replace them shortly - especially in the centres! Chris Egerton has now mentioned Matias Orlandi a couple of times...
I agree with these sentiments expect Eastmond, Reid, and Bateman would have stayed if given contract extensions.

I’m a big fan of Veainu but he doesn’t really fit in this new (back to the old ways) Tigers culture. So wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t offered an extension as well.

Btw think this is the right approach and having a clear game plan and culture is what Tigers have been missing for a long time.