LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

A backup 12 to replace Eastmond, assuming Scott effectively replaces Reid as starter.
A starting 13 to replace Manu
A backup 13 to replace Viljoen, assuming Kelly effectively replaces Thomas as depth.
A starting 14 to replace Holmes, assuming Potter effectively replaces Thompstone as depth.
A 15 to replace Veianu.

Some great work done this week with the extensions.
But some big holes in the squad still to be addressed also.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:25 am A backup 12 to replace Eastmond, assuming Scott effectively replaces Reid as starter.
A backup 13 to replace Viljoen, assuming Kelly effectively replaces Thomas as depth.
A starting 14 to replace Holmes, assuming Potter effectively replaces Thompstone as depth.
A 15 to replace Veianu.

Big holes in the squad still to be addressed.
A starter at 13 and starting quality at 14 or 15 would be priorities for me.

I wouldn't mind Hardwick covering Eastmond's place. Worth covering Viljeon. Then the academy players coming through in the back three to offer depth. Steward, Browning, possibly Simmons at fullback.

I've been firmly of the view we need a smaller squad for a while though. If you look at sides like Saints and Sale they have very streamlined squads without a huge number of players but a lot of quality. When injuries strike they trust their academy or if absolutely needed make injury dispensation signings.
Last edited by ABClub on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:25 am A backup 12 to replace Eastmond, assuming Scott effectively replaces Reid as starter.
A 15 to replace Veianu.

Big holes in the squad still to be addressed.
Some of the youngsters are going to have to be chucked in for the remaining fixtures of this season. The likes of Steward and Browning have the talent, they now need to get the experience and the exposure, same with Simmons as a potential 15, he has already played some senior rugby, and we are well covered at 9.
A lot of our current issues started because we were buying in talent that either didn’t settle, or wasn’t good enough. We have to take a leaf out of the Southern Hemisphere book and give these talented youngsters a run
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am Crikey, thats a stunningly ( ???) backline when Nadolo gets injured and Fordy is off playing Internationals.

We need at least 4 more TOP QUALITY backs.

Or am I the only one who is concerned ???
Given we aren't going to be spending up to the cap and we need to save some money I really hope we don't go wasting money on 4 backs. A replacement centre and fullback would be as far as I want us to go. We've got the Williams lad in from Notts and several young wingers. Give them some game time otherwise it's pointless having them.

9. Youngs, White, Simmons
10. Ford, Henry, McPhillips
11. Nadolo, Potter, Williams
12. ?, Hardwick
13. Scott, Taute
14. Owolfela, SAR, Browning
15. ?, Worth, Steward

Given that all of Nadolo, Owolfela, Worth, Steward and SAR can play in the centres and all bar Nadolo have already done so for the club I don't think there's a massive need there. Just replace the ?s with first team level players and we should be ok.

I'd much rather we looked at strengthening the pack with at least one prop (we could probably do with two) and then possibly a lock or backrow depending on who is available and whether or not Taufua stays.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

With the loan signing of David Williams, and the impressive Steward & Browning coming up the ranks I would leave the backs until the beginning of the 2020/21 season.

With the safety of no relegation we can bed players like the ones mentioned above (as well as Kelly & Potter) without a larger emphasis on results. However, in saying that Champions Cup qualification would be nice.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:40 am
fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am Crikey, thats a stunningly ( ???) backline when Nadolo gets injured and Fordy is off playing Internationals.

We need at least 4 more TOP QUALITY backs.

Or am I the only one who is concerned ???
Given we aren't going to be spending up to the cap and we need to save some money I really hope we don't go wasting money on 4 backs. A replacement centre and fullback would be as far as I want us to go. We've got the Williams lad in from Notts and several young wingers. Give them some game time otherwise it's pointless having them.

9. Youngs, White, Simmons
10. Ford, Henry, McPhillips
11. Nadolo, Potter, Williams
12. ?, Hardwick
13. Scott, Taute
14. Owolfela, SAR, Browning
15. ?, Worth, Steward

Given that all of Nadolo, Owolfela, Worth, Steward and SAR can play in the centres and all bar Nadolo have already done so for the club I don't think there's a massive need there. Just replace the ?s with first team level players and we should be ok.

I'd much rather we looked at strengthening the pack with at least one prop (we could probably do with two) and then possibly a lock or backrow depending on who is available and whether or not Taufua stays.
We already have 5 frontline props so need another. That being said our record with 6th props has been poor, there’s been some real bombs in there. Boris will know if the likes of Whitcombe are ready to step up.
Agree that another lock is definitely needed, and depending on the Taufua situation another back rower.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We’ve got Potter, Olowofela, Aspland-Robinson and Browning, if we don’t bring in another winger then one of them really need to step up and claim the starting shirt. All are talented players and hopefully the competition can bring the best out of them.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am
happywomble wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am
Coops wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:08 am There is no requirement for popcorn today.

From Tigers on Twitter - "Crack on, we're having a day off!"
Damn, that means I'll have to do some work.....
Teaser, Tuafua still quarantined?
I think I remember Murphy saying Taufua's quarantine was ending on Monday of this week (6th July). He said they planned a face to face meeting to talk it through with him on 6th. Perhaps they are now giving him some time to make his decision.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I think we are going to accept that our squad will be numerically reduced in the current climate and the idea of replacing leaving players with incoming ones will not happen even if the incomers are cheaper than the outgoing ones. As long as we can legally cover the front row, versatility is going to be an important skill set for us. A prop who can cover both sides is essential for me as is a flexible back 3 player. Until Tautua decides what he is doing, my mind on our back 5 has not been made up yet. Sad to say it but I can't see WR being open to us fans for some time yet and the financial hit of us is only going to get worse so cut our cloth early and enjoy the benefits later if I am wrong.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Looking at the squad.
I would say we need
3rd choice Loosehead to bridge the gap between Gigena and Whitcombe.
Starting 13
Starting 15 Abendanon would be fine short term with the hope Steward steps up.
12 IMO isn't that high a issue: Scott the in form 12 of the Pro 14, Hardwick IMO has played his better rugby at 12, and if we had a staring 13 Taute could cover 12 if needed.
and Depending on Taufua a back rower or not.

Outside that I feel we can at least make do.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Understanding we need to shave numbers off the squad, and ultimately some of the younger players have a great opportunity (with no relegation looming), to put themselves into contention during the remainder of this season with reduced pressure.

Here’s my take on what we are losing from the squad, and where we need to add or make do.

Bateman - new player required
Cortes - do not replace (promote)
Polota-Nau - Mamukashvili
Stevens - do not replace (promote or loan if needed)
Spencer - Enever
Kalamafoni - Brink
Thompson - promote or add (loan?)
Taufua - new player required (potentially)
Harrison - do not replace (promote)
Reid - Scott
Eastmond - Henry (Hardwick)
Tuilagi - new player required
Viljoen - new player required
Thomas - Kelly
May - Nadolo
Holmes - new player required (or Williams loan?)
Thompstone - Potter
Veianu - new player required

You could argue we are 3-4 players lighter depending on whether we replace Thompson externally or place faith in Lavin/Gough/Smith. I’ve come to the conclusion that whilst I thought we needed another lock, could get by with Henderson/Martin etc. Equally could try for a utility wing/fullback to cover Veianu and Holmes departure maybe?
5-6 new players required, based on Taufua and Manu leaving.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Don't think we need a Viljeon replacement.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 pm Don't think we need a Viljeon replacement.
:smt023
Hehehehehehehehe
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I'm sure we'll blood youngsters until the end of this season. Final ( not for us )Mid /late October.
New season Mid Nov.
Do we have time to see who is being let go elsewhere ( Prem) or do we have to move now ( clearance sale ).
Its a short gap twixt 2019/2020 and 2020/2021.?

Or is there more to come from GM this week????
Im very very impatient and Christmas is a coming. I know because my local B&M are clearing shelves for stock!!!!!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Ford's house appears to be off the market now. Not showing on rightmove but that may because he has asked for it or it has sold but is not listed as sold - re-assuring
Hehehehehehehehe