Exeter Chiefs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by Grimlish »

I’ll never forget when shortly after moving down Devon for work my new boss’s secretary asked ‘Alright m’lover?’ as a greeting. So my vote would be firmly for the club to be renamed ‘M’Exeter Luvverrrz’
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Please please some one make my day and tell me that if they have to change their name, that the bloke with the drum will leave it at home :smt023
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 am Chief is used as a greeting, so is lover. 😳
Just alter the pic to something the fans vote for, and ban the dirge. My sibs hate it, and they're North Standers. Given the profile of many fans these days a offshore island flag would do 😅
And please give up using the Maoist/Daily Mail "PC gone mad" trope. 💣
We know you dislike the term. Could you suggest an alternative for this area of activity of the oxymoronic insidious totalitarian anarchists?

Those who object loudest to Exeter's 'appropriation' are also those who are loudest to claim the right to self identify: If Exeter fans want to self identify in the category of American Indian, in whole or in part, let them do so. I don't think they, at least, are doing it with any malice.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Indigenous population, have you not seen their traditional costumes and heard their drums and indigenous singing on matchday - so leave them alone.
Can't then complain when we Roar....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

h's dad wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:24 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 am Chief is used as a greeting, so is lover. 😳
Just alter the pic to something the fans vote for, and ban the dirge. My sibs hate it, and they're North Standers. Given the profile of many fans these days a offshore island flag would do 😅
We know you dislike the term. Could you suggest an alternative for this area of activity of the oxymoronic insidious totalitarian anarchists?

Those who object loudest to Exeter's 'appropriation' are also those who are loudest to claim the right to self identify: If Exeter fans want to self identify in the category of American Indian, in whole or in part, let them do so. I don't think they, at least, are doing it with any malice.
I dislike the term because it's a lying invention of the Daily Mail and the first resort of casual racists. Nowt to do with oxymorons, anarchists or any other type of moron when faced with a real or invented cultural issue. Personally I think Exeter Chiefs is fine as long as they take the drums and headdresses away from the small number of supporters who are disliked by the other fans. The family fans prefer 'Exeter Rugby Club'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:23 pm

I dislike the term because it's a lying invention of the Daily Mail and the first resort of casual racists. Nowt to do with oxymorons, anarchists or any other type of moron when faced with a real or invented cultural issue. Personally I think Exeter Chiefs is fine as long as they take the drums and headdresses away from the small number of supporters who are disliked by the other fans. The family fans prefer 'Exeter Rugby Club'.
Political Correctness has been in use long before the Daily Mail coined it, and having been raised in Leicester since the early 60s, I am white and the first house I lived in over looked Spinney Hill Park, I am far from being a casual racist.
I understand your dislike Of the phrase, but for me it encompasses a lot that is wrong with the world, be in race, religion, skin tone, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and it is the do gooders with their HR/Political degrees that are at the route of a large number of these issues, not the groups that are supposedly being offended.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:38 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Political Correctness has been in use long before the Daily Mail coined it, and having been raised in Leicester since the early 60s, I am white and the first house I lived in over looked Spinney Hill Park, I am far from being a casual racist.
I understand your dislike Of the phrase, but for me it encompasses a lot that is wrong with the world, be in race, religion, skin tone, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and it is the do gooders with their HR/Political degrees that are at the route of a large number of these issues, not the groups that are supposedly being offended.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... ndies.html
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Your point being, of course these issues have always been there, as with all walks of life, but they were sorted out, without all the current hiatus.
I don’t what to go off point but you’re turning this into something it isn’t, my point was that you say political correctness was coined by the Daily Mail, I never read it, but have been aware of this saying for ages.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Saying that anyone who uses the term political correctness are casual racists
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Unfortunately like many threads on here this has turned into a political discussion.
For the record I don’t feel the need for Exeter to change their name or their brand, and had it not been for the unlawful killing in America this would not have been an issue.
I was a supporter of the great Washington Redskins team in the early 80s, Joe Thiesman and John Riggins, I saw no problem with their name and I see no problem with the Chiefs.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

“ Unfortunately like many threads on here this has turned into a political discussion”

But this one is a political discussion though, it wasn’t anything but.

It’s easy to see no problem with the name of you have no connections to it.
Last edited by RagingBull on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:18 pm Saying that anyone who uses the term political correctness are casual racists
I read it as "PC gone mad" is the first resort of casual racists, and I wouldn't disagree with that to be honest.
Perceptions often differ.
I read down the replies on Twitter to Ludlam's picture being used for Genge yet again, and one comment said "easy to join the hysteria".
Surely easier to admit the mistake, offering an apology and not do it again instead of making a casual excuse.
Last edited by BFG on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

The fact is that no one here is a Native American (yes, I know I'm making an assumption and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!). Therefore, the fact that you (in general, not any specific user) aren't offended by the Chief's cultural appropriation is pretty irrelevant.

Blaming political correctness is completely missing the point IMO.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can we bring this thread back on track discussing the Exeter Chiefs?
Thanks
:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 pm Please can we bring this thread back on track discussing the Exeter Chiefs?
Thanks
:smt023
More than happy to