Finishing this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finishing this season

Post by ABClub »

With most the contracts now sorted and a couple of new signings announced we can look onwards to finishing the postponed season.

With international rugby suspended for the foreseeable future that might actually mean Borthwick getting a decent run of relatively low pressure games to get some systems in place with most the squad available. In the circumstance not the worst thing possible.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Brink
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Steward

16.Mamukashvili 17.Gigena 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Potter

All things considered that squad should be very competitive with good coaching. That's still short of replacements for Manu/Taufua if they both go. Hopefully we can still see a top quality second row come in to replace Spencer as well.

If we do lose Manu and Taufau it naturally leaves us short of a couple of quality players. Nadolo is an excellent carrier on the wing though and Brink a good addition to the back row.

I hope that the conclusion of the postponed season can also see opportunities for Thom Smith and Taylor Gough in the back row and Harry Simmons potentially playing in the back three.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Finishing this season

Post by RagingBull »

Could try
13. Nadolo
11. Potter
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:02 pm Could try
13. Nadolo
11. Potter
Nadolo at 12 as opposed to 13 for me, it's where he played on occasion for Fiji and it keeps a secondary kicker at 12. Another plus would be the opposition suddenly becoming decidedly less keen to run big ball carries down the 10/12 channel hoping to target Ford. Push Scott to 13 and let him link up with the outside backs whilst Nadolo holds the defence. Actually I like that Nadolo at 12 could bring in other forwards with his offloading game.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd be more than happy with Nadolo playing centre but it leaves an inexperienced back three. Veainu and Thompstone leaving means we have one experienced back three player in Nadolo.

I also really like the look of Nadolo/Olowofela/Steward as a back three. Two wingers who are good at looking for work off their wing and a fullback with the skills to be a first receiver.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Nadolo needs to stay on the wing at the moment, Potter is not a ready made Premiership starter for me - give him time.

I would probably go for Worth to start at 15 with Steward on the bench. Again, ease him in and let him adjust before taking off the training wheels. Henry is an option too.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:58 pm With most the contracts now sorted and a couple of new signings announced we can look onwards to finishing the postponed season.

With international rugby suspended for the foreseeable future that might actually mean Borthwick getting a decent run of relatively low pressure games to get some systems in place with most the squad available. In the circumstance not the worst thing possible.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Brink
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Steward

16.Mamukashvili 17.Gigena 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Potter

All things considered that squad should be very competitive with good coaching. That's still short of replacements for Manu/Taufua if they both go. Hopefully we can still see a top quality second row come in to replace Spencer as well.

If we do lose Manu and Taufau it naturally leaves us short of a couple of quality players. Nadolo is an excellent carrier on the wing though and Brink a good addition to the back row.

I hope that the conclusion of the postponed season can also see opportunities for Thom Smith and Taylor Gough in the back row and Harry Simmons potentially playing in the back three.
Would have Leatigaga on the bench as covers both sides and has more impact all imo of course :smt003
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We still can put out a pretty strong 23, agree with the selection bar the back three and would want Leatigaga involved somewhere. Would go with:

11. Nadolo
14. Potter
15. Worth

Hopefully for the 20/21 season we’ll see some additions to replace the leaving players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1. Genge
2. Kerr
3. Cole
4. Green
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg
7. Taufua (I know still not confirmed but personally I’m confident he’s staying)
8. Brink
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Potter
15. Henry

16. Mamukashvili
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Wells
20. Reffell
21. Simmons (needs game-time)
22. Hardwick
23. Steward
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Zach Henry at 15 could be a great shout, got a great running game and is a very good tactical kicker.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:37 pm Zach Henry at 15 could be a great shout, got a great running game and is a very good tactical kicker.
One thing we really don't need is another kicker, tactical or otherwise. Tigers concede far too much possession on a good day - and there haven't been many of them recently.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Longshanks wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:37 pm Zach Henry at 15 could be a great shout, got a great running game and is a very good tactical kicker.
One thing we really don't need is another kicker, tactical or otherwise. Tigers concede far too much possession on a good day - and there haven't been many of them recently.
Yes we’ll just give up kicking completely, including penalties and conversions, should be the kick up the backside to develop our running game! :smt002

I could see us developing a better pragmatic kicking game under Borthwick, including a better kicker and playmaker from 15 though. I imagine a kicking game under Borthwick would be much improved than recent seasons.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm
Because we have never achieved anything with a good tactical base in the backline.

Leicester: Stimpson; Murphy, Lloyd, Howard, Stanley; Goode, Healey

Lineup from a memorable game that one. Most the backline you'd back in a kicking contest.

Most clubs have at least one tactical kicker outside of the halfbacks. Having Henry at 15 offering that would free us up to have a more solid 12/13 combination like Taute/Scott.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:32 pm 1. Genge
2. Kerr
3. Cole
4. Green
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg
7. Taufua (I know still not confirmed but personally I’m confident he’s staying)
8. Brink
9. Youngs

10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Potter
15. Henry

16. Mamukashvili
17. Gigena
18. Leatigaga
19. Wells
20. Reffell
21. Simmons (needs game-time)
22. Hardwick
23. Steward
I've been critical of Green so far this season as his form has been disappointing but I am hopeful that working with Borthwick will brink out the best in him. He was one of Falcons best players when they made the playoffs, one of the best lineout jumpers in the league.

I hope Simmons gets game time in the back three. White and JvP are strong talents at 9 and Lenny has just extended. Simmons has a bit of Ben Foden about him with his pace and footwork. I think he could be excellent with more space to work.

I like Potter as a signing but he's a project for me looking at the level he's played to. I'd be surprised if he's thrown straight into a starting shirt.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Foden started off as a halfback didn't he?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:22 am Foden started off as a halfback didn't he?
Yeah he was a scrum-half then moved to fullback in his early twenties.