Finishing this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Finishing this season

Post by mol2 »

The aim for this season has to be to put together and develop a side and game plans for next season.

Our pre season games for a few years have been shocking. Yes those games have been friendliest but we leaked tries to the likes of Jersey and seemed not to be concerned. That’s all well and good if you can turn up the wick when the games proper start but we haven’t for some time. At least the “pre season” for 20/21 will be against Premiership opposition. No scope for pretending that we aren’t going too hard against weaker teams.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

When was the last time we played Jersey? :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 am When was the last time we played Jersey? :smt017
August 2012, apparently. We won 34-21 and went on to win the Premiership.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:12 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 am When was the last time we played Jersey? :smt017
Yet another silly generalisation from the poster above then...
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I thought it was a lot more recent but could only come up with August 2013 Jersey 7-69 Leicester Tigers. Third, losing to Saints in the play-off.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just watched the interview with Zack Henry, seems a really switched on bloke, and as he says just wants to play rugby.
It was Richard Hill, assuming ex Bath 9 not the other one, who first took him to France.
I think we can look forward to him starting at least one game at 10 and one at 15, get the feeling he is going to be a really astute signing
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am Just watched the interview with Zack Henry, seems a really switched on bloke, and as he says just wants to play rugby.
It was Richard Hill, assuming ex Bath 9 not the other one, who first took him to France.
I think we can look forward to him starting at least one game at 10 and one at 15, get the feeling he is going to be a really astute signing
I share the same feeling. In regards to Hill, Henry signed for Rouen before playing for Nevers, who indeed are coached by ex-scrumhalf Richard Hill not the World Cup winner, who is not a coach.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 pmOur pre season games for a few years have been shocking. Yes those games have been friendliest but we leaked tries to the likes of Jersey and seemed not to be concerned...
Pre-season is and has always been a mix of 1st XV and Dev squads, with the purpose under match conditions of trialling players, combinations and strategies against Championship sides. The idea is not to put out your strongest Prem side and smash a Championship side which no-one will benefit from. And FYI we didn't leak tries against Jersey on 11th Aug 2012, we scored, they scored, both sides benefited, us supporters had a great weekend on a beautiful island! The following year was a ridiculous drubbing for Jersey for which no-one benefited, probably the reason why we've not been invited back!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Actually we were invited back but we felt that Jersey were not strong enough opposition for anything other than the first pre season match and made other plans that actually did not come to fruition, Jersey unfortunately arranged for Bath to visit them instead of us. The policy in the past has been to have three matches, the first is usually against perceived weaker opposition with our team containing many development and fringe players, the next is a more competetive game and the last with our touring England players available a match nearing full intensity. The plan for our August immediate pre season this year was to have been against Cocker's Edinburgh as the opening match on the new small stadium at Murrayfield, I was really looking forward to it.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am Actually we were invited back but we felt that Jersey were not strong enough opposition for anything other than the first pre season match and made other plans that actually did not come to fruition, Jersey unfortunately arranged for Bath to visit them instead of us. The policy in the past has been to have three matches, the first is usually against perceived weaker opposition with our team containing many development and fringe players, the next is a more competetive game and the last with our touring England players available a match nearing full intensity. The plan for our August immediate pre season this year was to have been against Cocker's Edinburgh as the opening match on the new small stadium at Murrayfield, I was really looking forward to it.
:smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:38 pm
I thought the Jersey game was more recent than that but the game against Jersey was a clear illustration of our declining interest in the pre season games and also when our defensive effort went from being the most miserly in the league to one that has had more holes that a rusty bucket. When sportsmen seem disinterested in preparation it is a warning sign that their career is coming towards its end and for teams a sign of the end of an era?

There has been a lot of denial over the past few years that we have gone from being the best side in the league to one of the worst and bat a bit of fortune against Newcastle last season we would have been relegated. As for this season the Sarries issue aside we have been the worst so far.

I have to say I gave up going to to watch the pre-season games because we seemed to poorly prepared compared to some of the supposedly lesser opposition.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:21 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:38 pm

I thought the Jersey game was more recent than that but the game against Jersey was a clear illustration of our declining interest in the pre season games and also when our defensive effort went from being the most miserly in the league to one that has had more holes that a rusty bucket. When sportsmen seem disinterested in preparation it is a warning sign that their career is coming towards its end and for teams a sign of the end of an era?

There has been a lot of denial over the past few years that we have gone from being the best side in the league to one of the worst and bat a bit of fortune against Newcastle last season we would have been relegated. As for this season the Sarries issue aside we have been the worst so far

I have to say I gave up going to to watch the pre-season games because we seemed to poorly prepared compared to some of the supposedly lesser opposition.
My bold.

In the past few years there has been far more pointing out how bad we have been than there has been denial.

As for the rest of the highlighted paragraph, while you make valid observations, irrespective of the reasons why, we didn't get relegated and we aren't going to get relegated this season. So we have another season and a bit to look forward to in the Premiership. And with the playing staff changing considerably at many Premiership clubs, along with the coaching staff at some clubs (with Tigers rather leading the way in both areas) I'm not sure that we can infer anything for Tigers general future from the last few seasons.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Given the recent announcements what selections for the remaining 9 games? Are we allowed to blood new players if contracts run from 1st July?

Answers on back of post card or new alternative kit
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm Given the recent announcements what selections for the remaining 9 games? Are we allowed to blood new players if contracts run from 1st July?

Answers on back of post card or new alternative kit
Yes, if you read the news release on each playef it says when they'll join, essentially we're waiting a short while for Van Wyk, Moroni is a slight unknown (possibly tied in with the future of the Jaguares) rest I think we pretty much immediately (based on quarantine etc)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Will we be playing twice a week to complete season quicker?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer