Finishing this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Flash

Re: Finishing this season

Post by Flash »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:02 pm Will we be playing twice a week to complete season quicker?
I think I read it would be every 4 days so pretty much.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks! 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

When Moroni is joining seems uncertain with the Jags situation up in the air. Kobus van Wyk will join after the Super Rugby season. Then Brink and Aspland-Robinson are rehabbing still by my understanding. So that leaves the following squad to see out this season. I've added the more senior development squad players who seem likely to feature.

1.Genge, Gigena, Whitcombe
2.Youngs, Mamukashvili, Kerr, Clare
3.Cole, Heyes, Leatigaga, Dimen
4.Lavanini, Wells, Martin
5.Enever, Green, Henderson
6.Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin
7.Reffell, Wallace
8.Taufau, Coghlan, Smith

9.Youngs, White, Simmons, JvP
10.Ford, Hardwick, Henry

11.Nadolo, Potter
12.Scott, McPhillips
13.Taute, Worth
14.Olowofela, Williams
15.Murimurivalu, Steward

Moroni and van Wyk joining later undeniably leaves us short of experience in the outside backs but overall I'm excited to see what that group can achieve over the next few months. Simmons may well feature in the back three looking at those options.

In the Premiership I hope we rotate the sides a lot so that each game sees a mixture of first XV players and youngsters. I my only worry would be seeing a first XV on Saturday then a weakened side midweek.

The only game I'd really want to see full strength for would be the Challenge Cup QF. As I think that could be a really good chance to gauge how the squad is gelling. I'd back the below side to do well in the knockouts.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Murimurivalu

16.Mamukashvili 17.Gigena 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Steward
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:26 pm When Moroni is joining seems uncertain with the Jags situation up in the air. Kobus van Wyk will join after the Super Rugby season. Then Brink and Aspland-Robinson are rehabbing still by my understanding. So that leaves the following squad to see out this season. I've added the more senior development squad players who seem likely to feature.

1.Genge, Gigena, Whitcombe
2.Youngs, Mamukashvili, Kerr, Clare
3.Cole, Heyes, Leatigaga, Dimen
4.Lavanini, Wells, Martin
5.Enever, Green, Henderson
6.Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin
7.Reffell, Wallace
8.Taufau, Coghlan, Smith

9.Youngs, White, Simmons, JvP
10.Ford, Hardwick, Henry

11.Nadolo, Potter
12.Scott, McPhillips
13.Taute, Worth
14.Olowofela, Williams
15.Murimurivalu, Steward

Moroni and van Wyk joining later undeniably leaves us short of experience in the outside backs but overall I'm excited to see what that group can achieve over the next few months. Simmons may well feature in the back three looking at those options.

In the Premiership I hope we rotate the sides a lot so that each game sees a mixture of first XV players and youngsters. I my only worry would be seeing a first XV on Saturday then a weakened side midweek.

The only game I'd really want to see full strength for would be the Challenge Cup QF. As I think that could be a really good chance to gauge how the squad is gelling. I'd back the below side to do well in the knockouts.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Murimurivalu

16.Mamukashvili 17.Gigena 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Steward
Not sure what the situation is regarding the Jaguares. Super rugby isn’t really being played, with New Zealand and Australia having their own internal competitions, so not sure what rugby the Jaguares are expecting to play.
The New Zealand season is 10 weeks long, 8 games each and 2 bye weeks, and I think we’ve just had week 6, so in theory Van Wyk could be with us early September, and should be match fit.
In Brinks LTTV interview he said he expected to be fit in a month, now whether that is match fit, or fit to start proper training, was not clear.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’d personally like Tigers to win enough games to finish in a position that shows we would not have been relegated and use the games to get players to get for next season.
Secondly, as we have Exeter, Saints, Sale to play then it would be great to see us win at least one of those as these 3 have very settled squads!
I think the coaches of all teams need to know the schedule for all the remaining games as a) the England internationals in all teams will need carefully managing and b) all teams will have to rotate with midweek fixtures
Which will become more difficult as injuries kick in.
In some ways at least Tigers’ new coaching set up can see at first hand what systems work without the pressures that will be on the top 6-8 clubs which will want to get in the top 4.
At least, along with other clubs, squads will be settled for the next season and a half.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Van Wyck's last game with the Hurricane's the August 15th.

Would love to see a back three of Nadolo, Muri and Steward/Worth. Would love to see Steward given a shot at 15, especially with two other very experienced players. He’s got all the attributes to be a very special player.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The end of season games should afford us to try a few options and allow those that are here to get used to the new structures.

I don't expect great things until we have a full squad but let's hope a few of those who get opportunities take them and make Borthwick's selection options difficult for the best of reasons.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Where should our priorities lie for this season?

Everyone knows wiyh matches every 4 days or so there will need to be rotation.

Think most clubs will have a bit of a lions feel midweek team and weekend team.

I'd for the most part like to see a split in strength between the two. e.g. Ben Youngs with Hardwick or Henry and Ben White with Ford.

My only problem with that though is the Challenge cup, should we go all out on those games even if it weakens the teams around it. Potential silverware doesn't come along often and the rewards for winnings it I think outweigh the risk of a few more losses in the League.

So my thinking would be to try to plan for the full strength team to play those fixtures and work out the combinations that will surround it...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Personally I think just sensible rotation based on how fresh and fit players are, but always trying to field a strong team. I feel, although we aren't playing for anything in the leagues other than pride, that is important. It would be good not to finish 11th then people cannot say "if it wasn't for Sarries....." and given the rapidity with which we move from this season to next I also think it would be good to finish this season with momentum in the league; otherwise feelings may emerge, outside and inside the club, that we have made some good signings but the results are the same......confidence is so important.
As Good As It Gets
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Some people are drawing a distinction between midweek and weekend fixtures. Personally, I do not see any particular relevance, unlike who we are playing and whether it is at home (something I think no-one else has mentioned - could be wrong). Agree about the targeting the Challenge Cup.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Just looking at the table, its pretty congested and a couple wins for any team can change the table a lot.
So assuming things go well do we think we could push for top 6?
Or should we focus on Challenge Cup and experiment with combinations in the prem given we can't go down?

4 Northampton 35
5 Wasps 33
6 Bath 30
7 Harlequins 28
8 London Irish 28
9 Gloucester 26
10 Worcester 22
11 Leicester 20
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’m not fussed about the results for the rest of the season, given the automatic relegation of Saracens it’s about focusing on getting the team performances right. Treat it almost as a pre-season, give younger players exposure and focus on building the groundwork for a successful 20/21 campaign.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think it's the manner of the performances that matter most.
Hopefully Leicester will be well in games, and if they can tidy up those fine margins get on the right side of some results.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:02 pm I think it's the manner of the performances that matter most.
Hopefully Leicester will be well in games, and if they can tidy up those fine margins get on the right side of some results.
👍
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chiefs (A) - 15 Aug
Bath (H) - 22 Aug
Irish (H) - 26 Aug
Gloucester (A) - 30 August

How the coaches juggle that will be interesting. With the players that Gloucester have lost that should winnable. Bath and Irish at home are winnable but that turnaround is tough. Chiefs will be very strong at home, first game back, with all their internationals.

I reckon the coaches will be cursing the Irish and Bath games both being at home. Were the midweek game away I think we'd see less rotation with the weekend games targeted. I don't think we will see a weak side put out at home against Irish though.

More than anything I want to see the academy graduates getting game time alongside the senior players. Heyes at tighthead with Genge at loosehead. White partnering Ford. Youngs partnering Hardwick. Steward with Nadolo and Murimurivalu.

Champions Cup rugby next season would be significant for the club financially but likely lead to us taking a pummeling away from home in particular. Memories of Ken Owens looking like a world class number 8...