Finishing this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Finishing this season

Post by JP14 »

Maybe this upcoming announcement by Prem Rugby is addressing this?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Realistically, with them not having to get crowds in there is no reason that 2 games can’t be played and televised on the same channel one after another, on Frida, Saturday and Sunday.
BBC has home teams listed as Quins, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Worcester, Northampton, could be wrong as it’s the BBC .

Looking at it logically, you could keep one production crew down in the West Country, and then one move from Quins to Northampton to Worcester, which aren’t huge distances.
Probably completely wrong, but just a thought
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Bunchy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm From a very good source from within the club, I hear we are first up on Friday night (14th) on BT sport at the Chiefs

The same source tells me there is a wish to make all game available like the football has been - details are not clear yet so unlikely to be in place for the 1st round - although not impossible either...
Apologies - in my defence, the source is in marketing........ :smt030 :smt030
Less is more....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

There’ve been one or two comments that Tigers could get in to the top 6 by the end of the season. Mathematically, it’s possible, and if it happens then the champagne corks will indeed be flying. Realistically, however, two wins would be good, and more importantly, each player in the squad should be guaranteed some game time in preparation for the forthcoming season.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:22 am There’ve been one or two comments that Tigers could get in to the top 6 by the end of the season. Mathematically, it’s possible, and if it happens then the champagne corks will indeed be flying. Realistically, however, two wins would be good, and more importantly, each player in the squad should be guaranteed some game time in preparation for the forthcoming season.
In the bigger picture another season in the challenge cup will help the squad, so I don’t really see getting in the top 6 to be an advantage.

Robespierre how have Castres and Toulon, our possible next 2 opponents in the challenge cup, faired during lockdown. Any major squad changes or turmoil in these clubs ?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Interesting that the proposal for next season is to increase the numbers of teams participating in European competition from 20 in each trophy to 24, only four matches in the pool stages but with a total of 38 Europe based teams in the Premiership, Pro14 and French Leagues it will be interesting to see where the other 10 come from. Challenge trophy promises some new if fewer trips (only four pool stage matches). Possibly Champions Cup opportunities for teams finishing 7th or 8th.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:46 am
Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:22 am There’ve been one or two comments that Tigers could get in to the top 6 by the end of the season. Mathematically, it’s possible, and if it happens then the champagne corks will indeed be flying. Realistically, however, two wins would be good, and more importantly, each player in the squad should be guaranteed some game time in preparation for the forthcoming season.
In the bigger picture another season in the challenge cup will help the squad, so I don’t really see getting in the top 6 to be an advantage.

Robespierre how have Castres and Toulon, our possible next 2 opponents in the challenge cup, faired during lockdown. Any major squad changes or turmoil in these clubs ?
I recently read that Castres pride themselves on being a side that are a pain the backside to play against and typically, Joe Worsley is defence coach. On the playing side there are no superstars but plenty of solid, no nonsense players, like scrum half Rory Kockott (a Saffer who’s got a handful of caps for France). A new signing is back row Kunatani (ex Quins?) who should do well. With regard to Toulon, their backs coach is former Tiger Julien Dupuy, and one interesting new player is highly promising 19 year-old English fullback, Harrison Obatoyinbo, who played one season for Ealing and Saracens before that. If Tigers do find themselves up against Toulon, a certain Eben Etzebeth could be in their team.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:46 am

I recently read that Castres pride themselves on being a side that are a pain the backside to play against and typically, Joe Worsley is defence coach. On the playing side there are no superstars but plenty of solid, no nonsense players, like scrum half Rory Kockott (a Saffer who’s got a handful of caps for France). A new signing is back row Kunatani (ex Quins?) who should do well. With regard to Toulon, their backs coach is former Tiger Julien Dupuy, and one interesting new player is highly promising 19 year-old English fullback, Harrison Obatoyinbo, who played one season for Ealing and Saracens before that. If Tigers do find themselves up against Toulon, a certain Eben Etzebeth could be in their team.
Lavanini v Etzebeth, for the heavyweight championship of the world.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I agree completely.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Given all the changes that have been made since the last game, when Tigers were improving, no-one can predict how the games are going to go. New players and a new Head Coach and some back room staff, and clarity in the game plan Tigers are entering a new period.....I do not buy that things will be the same as previous and hope to see a continued upturn in performances and more positive results. Games to play against, Irish, Wasps and Quins will be pivotal in the run in.
Would like to see every game played with a strong side but the Challenge Cup should be our priority.....three wins and it is European Cup.....lets try and enjoy the ride for the remainder of the season with the new players and coaching staff.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:23 pm Given all the changes that have been made since the last game, when Tigers were improving, no-one can predict how the games are going to go. New players and a new Head Coach and some back room staff, and clarity in the game plan Tigers are entering a nejw period.....I do not buy that things will be the same as previous and hope to see a continued upturn in performances and more positive results. Games to play against, Irish, Wasps and Quins will be pivotal in the run in.
Would like to see every game played with a strong side but the Challenge Cup should be our priority.....three wins and it is European Cup.....lets try and enjoy the ride for the remainder of the season with the new players and coaching staff.
I’d go along with that, but the Challenge Cup has some stiff opposition. If we beat Castres then the likes of Bristol, Scarlets, Bordeaux and Toulon are to follow. Testing times for the new squad!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

So here is the confirmed squad for the rest of the 2019-20 season:

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ate-200810

- Murimurivalu is still in France awaiting his visa to be finalised
- Kobus van Wyk has started his visa process after finishing with the Hurricanes last Saturday
- Shalva Mamukashvili has arrived in Leicester and is currently in quarantine
- Facundo Gigena is expected to arrive in Leicester in the next few weeks and will have to undergo quarantine
- Matias Moroni and Jasper Wiese will not start with the club until the 2020/21 season
- Tom Youngs is retained as club captain and George Ford is appointed vice-captain
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Water breaks to be introduced come the re start :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/water-br ... to-return/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I hated the water breaks during the football but I understand its necessity especially during the hot weather, hopefully it will lead to less tying of the shoe laces to speed the game up.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:51 am I hated the water breaks during the football but I understand its necessity especially during the hot weather, hopefully it will lead to less tying of the shoe laces to speed the game up.
Absolute necessity imo, unlike football they can be tied into a natural break in the game around 20 minutes, scrum line out etc