Super User
Super User

Re: Finishing this season

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:50 pm Chiefs (A) - 15 Aug
Bath (H) - 22 Aug
Irish (H) - 26 Aug
Gloucester (A) - 30 August

How the coaches juggle that will be interesting. With the players that Gloucester have lost that should winnable. Bath and Irish at home are winnable but that turnaround is tough. Chiefs will be very strong at home, first game back, with all their internationals.

I reckon the coaches will be cursing the Irish and Bath games both being at home. Were the midweek game away I think we'd see less rotation with the weekend games targeted. I don't think we will see a weak side put out at home against Irish though.

More than anything I want to see the academy graduates getting game time alongside the senior players. Heyes at tighthead with Genge at loosehead. White partnering Ford. Youngs partnering Hardwick. Steward with Nadolo and Murimurivalu.

Champions Cup rugby next season would be significant for the club financially but likely lead to us taking a pummeling away from home in particular. Memories of Ken Owens looking like a world class number 8...
Agree with a lot of what you say.
Fixture wise Bath play Irish at home, before our match, then have Saints away on the 26th.
Irish have Saints and Saracens at home, well The Stoop, either side of our fixture with them.
I don’t honestly think we will our ‘strongest side’ during August, a lot will depend on who is match fit, we will also have players joining us through August, and how up to speed they are, but there will be a lot of mixing and matching.
Just a note re Tom Hardwick, IMO he is a much better 12 than 10, and would like to see him as Scott’s understudy, and even in partnership with Scott moving out 1 to 13.
With the options we have now at 15, would rather Henry was given a couple of games at 10.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just been announced that Home internationals will be completed last 2 weekends in October and there will be programme of November Internationals, New Zealand, Argentina and Tonga from memory.

Likely to be without Genge, Youngs, Ford, Lavanini and Moroni for all or some of that period.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m not sure it’s likely Moroni will be with us before then.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:19 pm I’m not sure it’s likely Moroni will be with us before then.
Unfortunately I’m not fluent in any way in Spanish, but from the tone of his recent tweets, it appeared that he is going to be here sooner rather than later, obviously could have completely misinterpreted his use of emojis.
Not sure where he is going to play any rugby otherwise
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I haven't seen anywhere any info about the number of games/hours any player can play in this disjointed season which is going to be compressed or how the extra international games will feature/count for this season or next???????
Hehehehehehehehe
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm Just been announced that Home internationals will be completed last 2 weekends in October and there will be programme of November Internationals, New Zealand, Argentina and Tonga from memory.

Likely to be without Genge, Youngs, Ford, Lavanini and Moroni for all or some of that period.
Not quite. From the BBC website:

The men's and women's Six Nations will be completed in October after World Rugby approved a new temporary international window.

The remaining rounds of both tournaments will be played on 24 and 31 October.

That will be followed by a rest weekend on 7-8 November before four consecutive rounds of international matches.

In the southern hemisphere, the 2020 Rugby Championship will be played from 7 November to 12 December.

Sanzaar (South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina Rugby), which organises the competition, has asked New Zealand to host all of the tournament matches.

What's the state of play in the Six Nations?

The tournament was suspended in March because of Covid-19 with four matches in the men's competition to be completed and six in the women's competition.

England are top of the standings in the men's competition with 13 points, ahead of France on points difference. All teams have one left game to play apart from Ireland, who have two.

Ireland will take on Italy on 24 October, the same day as the Premiership final.

England then plan to play the Barbarians the following day.

The final round of 2020 men's matches will then all take place on 31 October, with Wales hosting Scotland, England playing Italy in Rome and Ireland facing France.

Wales will have to host their home fixtures away from the Principality Stadium after chief executive Martyn Phillips confirmed there will be no more international matches at the ground this year because it is being used as a temporary hospital during the coronavirus pandemic.

This year's autumn Tests are then expected to be replaced by an eight-team tournament in which the Six Nations sides will be joined by Japan and Fiji.

World Rugby chairman Sir Bill Beaumont said in a statement: "The global Covid-19 pandemic has been unprecedented in its impact on society and sport and throughout this process, all parties have sought to deliver the best-possible outcome to support the interests of international and club rugby and the players.

"Agreement and approval of this schedule is exciting for players and fans and an important step in supporting our unions in mitigating financial impact and optimising the sport's return from the pandemic in an equitable way.

"These matches will be greatly anticipated by all, and I would like to thank unions, the international and club competitions and players for their input and the fans for their patience as we have sought to get international rugby back up and running."
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Oh right thanks for that, wasn’t aware of the full details.
Not sure how an 8 team tournament will replace 4 weekends of internationals
So we are likely to be without the 5 players I mentioned plus Murimurivalu, from approximately the end of October to the beginning of December
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great to wrap up the 6 Nations properly and bring things to the correct conclusion; from then on comes the scramble to generate cash.
Understandable considering the circumstances.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good to hear that the Red Roses have started training and hopefully they will get to resume their Six Nations tournament too!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:19 pm I’m not sure it’s likely Moroni will be with us before then.
Unfortunately I’m not fluent in any way in Spanish, but from the tone of his recent tweets, it appeared that he is going to be here sooner rather than later, obviously could have completely misinterpreted his use of emojis.
Not sure where he is going to play any rugby otherwise
True, I’ll guess we’ll see. My Spanish is dire too.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:16 pm Good to hear that the Red Roses have started training and hopefully they will get to resume their Six Nations tournament too!
Are you allowed to call them Red Roses? You may offend gardeners :smt005
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Please add to or amend as required the following dates and fixtures:

Oct 17-18 Euro finals (19-20)
Oct 24: Prem Final (19-20); Ire v Ita ; France Vs Wales (Friendly, unconfirmed)
Oct 25 Eng v BaaBaas
Oct 31 Eng v Ita; Wal v Sco; Fra v Ire
Nov 7/8 Rest
Nov 14/15 '8 Nations'
Nov 21/22 '8 Nation'; Prem starts (20-21)
Nov 28/29 '8 Nations'; Prem
Dec 5/6 '8 Nations' Final(s)'; Prem
Dec 12/13 European Cups (20-21)
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

From a very good source from within the club, I hear we are first up on Friday night (14th) on BT sport at the Chiefs

The same source tells me there is a wish to make all game available like the football has been - details are not clear yet so unlikely to be in place for the 1st round - although not impossible either...
Less is more....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bunchy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm From a very good source from within the club, I hear we are first up on Friday night (14th) on BT sport at the Chiefs

The same source tells me there is a wish to make all game available like the football has been - details are not clear yet so unlikely to be in place for the 1st round - although not impossible either...
Pretty sure it's been confirmed Sale and Quins will be the first game playing on friday night
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Bunchy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm From a very good source from within the club, I hear we are first up on Friday night (14th) on BT sport at the Chiefs

I would be surprised if all the games weren't televised. With it starting during the football off-season there's a chance for a captive audience. Some free to air games should be an obvious thing to do, summer holiday and no football. Get the kids hooked! Then again this is PRL and the RFU they couldn't organise a :censored: up in a brewery.