Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finishing this season

Post by Longshanks »

chipnchase wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:57 am
We can’t be relegated, we’ll never have a better opportunity give game time to the whole squad including academy graduates. A minimum of 3 starts each for all players (injury depending) should be the target so we never have the ‘he’s inexperienced’ argument.
The theory is sound but in reality, no matter what words of support and calls for patience are uttered, SB and his new team will be under pressure to deliver quick wins - literally. I think there will also be a strong desire to climb the Premiership table to a point where relegation would never have been in question, with or without the Saracens debacle.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Longshanks wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:08 am
We can’t be relegated, we’ll never have a better opportunity give game time to the whole squad including academy graduates. A minimum of 3 starts each for all players (injury depending) should be the target so we never have the ‘he’s inexperienced’ argument.
The theory is sound but in reality, no matter what words of support and calls for patience are uttered, SB and his new team will be under pressure to deliver quick wins - literally. I think there will also be a strong desire to climb the Premiership table to a point where relegation would never have been in question, with or without the Saracens debacle.
Serious question, are you bothered about wins or performance and new structure?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Sorry to interject, but in my opinion wins would be great, but performance/attitude/improvement/development of young players would be my priority. There is of course the argument that winning games makes all of these easier and becomes a habit. We have to give them time and resist the temptation to demand immediate results.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Winning is the final result of everything you’ve just mentioned.

How many times have you seen sports teams have the ‘dead cat bounce’ only to be back in the same place six months later.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

chipnchase wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 am
Longshanks wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:08 am
Serious question, are you bothered about wins or performance and new structure?
I don't accept the premise of your question that they are mutually exclusive.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:34 am Sorry to interject, but in my opinion wins would be great, but performance/attitude/improvement/development of young players would be my priority. There is of course the argument that winning games makes all of these easier and becomes a habit. We have to give them time and resist the temptation to demand immediate results.
I am not saying win at all costs and I personally believe a sustainable path to consistently good performance is the priority. However, all I am saying (almost to turn around the point above) losing makes that path so much more difficult to follow - for everybody.
richie1880

Post by richie1880 »

In an ideal world, i am sure we would all like to see the wins while seeing the performances getting better and the youngsters getting valuable experience.

It is only my opinion, but i suspect the new coaching set up will want to play for wins (whether thats pretty or ugly) rather than using it as a blooding exercise and get the guys back to a winning mentality. We may see one or two given some experience but i cant see them wanting to experiment with the remaining games.

Again, only my opinion, but i think the coaching team will be wanting to climb the table towards the top 6. I doubt we will get close, but i think that their aim will to finish as high as possible.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

How they have structured the season means that will be lots of rotation, not necessarily a first or second team but just a blend of experience and youngsters.

Our failures in recent seasons have been down to player’s not stepping up in the absence of our internationals, this was down to two reasons:
  • We were too overreliant on players especially Manu and Fordy
  • The replacements were not good enough
Between now and August, I would think (and I’m only assuming this by no means a suggestion) that Borthwick is already trying to train players in mixed groups, constantly rotating already so that the coaching team can be confident that by August 15th rotations in selection won’t lead to a significant decrease in playing performance and team cohesion. Inconsistency in selection will affect all 12 teams so it’s how the Tigers deal with this that will set them apart from the other clubs.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The idea of giving players experience and not worrying completely about results is great, but we all know that in reality if Borthwick loses his first 3 or 4 matches, he's going to come under huge pressure.

There's also no point throwing too many youngsters in together and risk them getting trounced - that is rarely a good learning experience or confidence builder. Slot the youngsters in one or two at a time with experienced pros around them and at least give them the opportunity to learn within a winning team.

E.g. Steward with Nadolo to mentor him during the match, Reffell with Liebenberg and (hopefully) Taufua to guide him.

Balance is important.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Brink won't play whilst completing this season as he's still rehabbing. I believe that Aspland-Robinson is still rehabbing as well.

Brink's situation will surely open up opportunities for Smith and Gough to get onto the bench at least. I do wonder if Boladau might start training with Tigers again as cover.

Thinking about the 8 days with 3 games in it we will basically need two different starting packs. How the coaches mix experience and youth will be interesting.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Evener 6.Lewis 7.Reffell 8.Smith
16.Kerr 17.Gigena 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Gough

1.Gigena 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Henderson 5.Green 6.Wells 7.Coghlan 8.Liebenberg
16.Kerr 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Enever 20.Gough

We are still waiting on a 6th senior prop signing which I'd expect to happen before restarting the season. That will allow more rotation of the props. Leatigaga being a good impact player that can play both sides will be valuable.

With Cam Henderson being one of the stronger development squad members lock has some depth. Similar at blindside with Wells and Lewis both able 6s even if Liebenberg is covering 8. With Brink rehabbing and Taufua's situation yet to be confirmed there is talent but inexperience at openside and number 8.

I'm actually very excited to see how the likes of Henderson, Smith and Gough do in the pack.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:16 pm Brink won't play whilst completing this season as he's still rehabbing. I believe that Aspland-Robinson is still rehabbing as well.

Brink's situation will surely open up opportunities for Smith and Gough to get onto the bench at least. I do wonder if Boladau might start training with Tigers again as cover.

Thinking about the 8 days with 3 games in it we will basically need two different starting packs. How the coaches mix experience and youth will be interesting.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Evener 6.Lewis 7.Reffell 8.Smith
16.Kerr 17.Gigena 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Gough

1.Gigena 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Henderson 5.Green 6.Wells 7.Coghlan 8.Liebenberg
16.Kerr 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Enever 20.Gough

We are still waiting on a 6th senior prop signing which I'd expect to happen before restarting the season. That will allow more rotation of the props. Leatigaga being a good impact player that can play both sides will be valuable.

With Cam Henderson being one of the stronger development squad members lock has some depth. Similar at blindside with Wells and Lewis both able 6s even if Liebenberg is covering 8. With Brink rehabbing and Taufua's situation yet to be confirmed there is talent but inexperience at openside and number 8.

I'm actually very excited to see how the likes of Henderson, Smith and Gough do in the pack.
I wonder if we'll see a bit of Martin in there as well. He's a big bloke and was name dropped by McGinity last night. We will have to rotate heavily for those three games in 8 days. I'm not sure the pack will be able to afford much if any overlap so bodies will have to come in. The midweek game Vs LI really looks like one we could take advantage of if we can dominate up front and really bully LI, take their backs out the equation.

I guess the midweek game will be a big one for White and Henry to lay down a marker for the season as well. As you'd assume the Youngs and Ford combo will be used mainly.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I an hoping we use the younger 9's with Ford a fair bit as it gets then used to playing with him & puts more responsibility on YBY when he plays we others at 10 & hopefully pressure on his starting position.
If nothing else the nailed on starters need to be looking over their shoulders, come 20/21 season we need to be truly selecting on form not salary & reputation size.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm I an hoping we use the younger 9's with Ford a fair bit as it gets then used to playing with him & puts more responsibility on YBY when he plays we others at 10 & hopefully pressure on his starting position.
If nothing else the nailed on starters need to be looking over their shoulders, come 20/21 season we need to be truly selecting on form not salary & reputation size.
Completely agree - it should more a case of White & Ford or Youngs & Henry playing together, whether that's from the start or off the bench.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The game is moving away from necessarily having the big ballcarrier at the tail, so we might see more of Liebenberg at 8 with Reffell (potentially still Taufua) at openside and Brink at blindside when he returns to match fitness in September.

The ability of Reffell, Taufua and Brink to cover all three positions in the back row will be crucial.

I too am excited about the prospect of Gough.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm I an hoping we use the younger 9's with Ford a fair bit as it gets then used to playing with him & puts more responsibility on YBY when he plays we others at 10 & hopefully pressure on his starting position.
Completely agree - it should more a case of White & Ford or Youngs & Henry playing together, whether that's from the start or off the bench.
100%

It's something Tigers have struggled to do for a few years. Young players are often thrown into weak sides where they will struggle to perform. Then when the internationals return it's a practically a new team especially in the backline.

9.White 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Hardwick 13.Scott 14.Olowofela 15.Steward

21.Youngs 22.Henry 23.Taute

Something like that would be great to see. White and Hardwick alongside from Ford and Scott. Steward and Olowofela alongside Nadolo. Youngs and Taute offering experience from the bench.