Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by ABClub »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:00 am For me I would like the rollercoaster of media hype and theatrics to end and agents not holding clubs to ransom.
But then I'm either an optimist or cynic
I agree with feeling a bit over the media hype and theatrics. Clubs have enabled the wage inflation by repeatedly breaking their wage structures to keep those stars though to be fair.

Rewind 10 years and most Premiership clubs top level players were earning similar money. If someone wanted a big payday they had to go to France (Wilko for instance) or occasionally later in their careers would move to another Prem club if where they were playing had the depth to decide that a waning star didn't deserve a wage at the top of that structure anymore - Moody a good example of the latter I'd argue.

Then the wage structure started being broken for exceptions and the genie was out the bottle. Beale/Piutau sign for Wasps for huge money, Launchbury looks at his salary and thinks that needs doubling if Kurtley is worth that, Nathan Hughes thinks wait a minute if Joe's got that pay rise. Before you know it solid squad players are earning more than guys like Tindall or Robinson did whilst captaining England and World Cup winners.

When it comes to Freddie's tactics at contract renewal with regards to leaks to the media, playing fans against club etc, to get the best wage possibly I can understand completely why he does. At the end of the day a lot Pacific Islander's (talking about the Pro game as a whole not Tigers specifically or individual clubs here) have been repeatedly exploited with dodgy contracts, hollow promises, early terminations since the game went pro. Teams realised there was a rich vein of talent there and mined it aggressively. Freddie has found himself in a position where he represents PI players who can demand high wages and has negotiated aggressively in return to get the best for them (and by commission himself I accept). Fair play to him.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Which ever way this goes there needs to be a definite conclusion and quickly - for everyone's sake.If this coming Monday (July 6) is deadline day then it must conclude on that day , this public spat needs a line drawing under it and everyone being allowed to move on.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am Which ever way this goes there needs to be a definite conclusion and quickly - for everyone's sake.If this coming Monday (July 6) is deadline day then it must conclude on that day , this public spat needs a line drawing under it and everyone being allowed to move on.
I thought the ART (Andrea's Reinvented Tigers) class was on Tuesday and all line drawing finished then 🤣
As Good As It Gets
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I believe the five were sent home, training ceased so they could reflect and access their futures. So if I'm right deadline day was July 1st ,therefore we can assume that an olive branch has been offered for those undecided. Monday being the extended deadline.
GM on LTTV - two players off to France - Monday /Tuesday NEW contracted players to be announced, therefore we can assume the two off to France will be named.
My GUESS - Manu and Greg
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cannot see Bateman being offered a job in France, I reckon Telusa is off to France and possibly Manu if the club does not concede to his expectations yet again.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Or could it be Eastmond he has no real chance -on form - pushing for England squad?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ABClub wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am
wellstiger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:00 am For me I would like the rollercoaster of media hype and theatrics to end and agents not holding clubs to ransom.
But then I'm either an optimist or cynic
I agree with feeling a bit over the media hype and theatrics. Clubs have enabled the wage inflation by repeatedly breaking their wage structures to keep those stars though to be fair.

Rewind 10 years and most Premiership clubs top level players were earning similar money. If someone wanted a big payday they had to go to France (Wilko for instance) or occasionally later in their careers would move to another Prem club if where they were playing had the depth to decide that a waning star didn't deserve a wage at the top of that structure anymore - Moody a good example of the latter I'd argue.

Then the wage structure started being broken for exceptions and the genie was out the bottle. Beale/Piutau sign for Wasps for huge money, Launchbury looks at his salary and thinks that needs doubling if Kurtley is worth that, Nathan Hughes thinks wait a minute if Joe's got that pay rise. Before you know it solid squad players are earning more than guys like Tindall or Robinson did whilst captaining England and World Cup winners.

When it comes to Freddie's tactics at contract renewal with regards to leaks to the media, playing fans against club etc, to get the best wage possibly I can understand completely why he does. At the end of the day a lot Pacific Islander's (talking about the Pro game as a whole not Tigers specifically or individual clubs here) have been repeatedly exploited with dodgy contracts, hollow promises, early terminations since the game went pro. Teams realised there was a rich vein of talent there and mined it aggressively. Freddie has found himself in a position where he represents PI players who can demand high wages and has negotiated aggressively in return to get the best for them (and by commission himself I accept). Fair play to him.
Fair points, but every course of action and indeed behaviour has consequences whilst Manu may yet again succeed in deploying whatever tactics are necessary to get what he wants, I am hacked with it all and no longer care if Manu either stays or goes and I suspect that I am not the only supporter who feels this way.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am I believe the five were sent home, training ceased so they could reflect and access their futures. So if I'm right deadline day was July 1st ,therefore we can assume that an olive branch has been offered for those undecided. Monday being the extended deadline.
GM on LTTV - two players off to France - Monday /Tuesday NEW contracted players to be announced, therefore we can assume the two off to France will be named.
My GUESS - Manu and Greg
There's already been rumours of TV going to Stade Francais. I'd assume he'd be one of the two. Can see Reid being another if D2 teams have some money to throw around then a 10/centre with an Ireland cap and titles with Leinster would be a good statement of intent from them as well as someone who can be a real leader at that level.

Manu I think will row back, complete the season, Lions tour and then go Racing 92.

Bateman is most likely to get offers from Wales with the regions lacking props. Dragons or Ospreys would be happy to have him.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am I believe the five were sent home, training ceased so they could reflect and access their futures. So if I'm right deadline day was July 1st ,therefore we can assume that an olive branch has been offered for those undecided. Monday being the extended deadline.
My GUESS - Manu and Greg
Did GM say that two were off or that he understood two had received offers?
There may also be some visa restrictions that come into force in less than six months.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

i know that stats don't tell the complete story...and indeed, can be used to peddle lies, but the club's website shows the following for Manu over the past 6 seasons:
Appearances - 57
Tries - 17
Value for money, after the time, effort and faith we have put into him?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=teds post_id=745379 time=1593854372 user_id=109]
[quote=wellstiger post_id=745370 time=1593852850 user_id=10493]
I believe the five were sent home, training ceased so they could reflect and access their futures. So if I'm right deadline day was July 1st ,therefore we can assume that an olive branch has been offered for those undecided. Monday being the extended deadline.
My GUESS - Manu and Greg
[/quote]

There may also be some visa restrictions that come into force in less than six months.
[/quote]

You are right teds - GM said that he understood that 2 of the 5 had received offers from France. Not named, but I guess one will be Telusa.
15 re-signings to be announced 'early next week'.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

parvacat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 am i know that stats don't tell the complete story...and indeed, can be used to peddle lies, but the club's website shows the following for Manu over the past 6 seasons:
Appearances - 57
Tries - 17
Value for money, after the time, effort and faith we have put into him?
If some of those performances and tries had come in Champions Cup knockout matches and Premiership playoffs - then yes. He is the kind of player you keep around to win those games (like Saracens with Farrell and Billy V). As we haven't reached the latter stages of those competitions for a while, then no, not value for money - but that's arguably not his fault.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Are all of these players represented by the same agent?

The same stance for all of those might not work so well.

Teluasa and Manu may well get good Money in France.
Will the others risk slipping into retirement?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 am
teds wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:19 am
My GUESS - Manu and Greg
You are right teds - GM said that he understood that 2 of the 5 had received offers from France. Not named, but I guess one will be Telusa.
15 re-signings to be announced 'early next week'.

I may be wrong but I thought he said 2 had signed (not just had offers from), Manu will have an offer, but doubt he's signed anything yet.

So I think TV is one. (Rumours say he's signed for SF)

My other guess would actually be Bateman, Reid I think would look to go back to Ireland as first choice (so though he may sign to France think he'd look around for a bit to see where best)
Eastmond is a possibility, but I think with his League background and Toronto waving cash about he may be tempted to go back.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I don't want to appear negative as the door is still open for a change of heart/mind.
If players are generally not sure then fine- I would possibly need all the time I could get to make a life changing decision.
If it is purely to hold the club to ransom - then - Bon Voyage mon ami. Because 31+ had no option.

Who would not want to be involved with a club that has the aspirations of success.