Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by DingDong »

Down to earth Steve Diamond in The Times today - "He's used to having 24,000 people watching, wait until he sees more pigeons than people in the stadium!" :smt005
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm
TomWeston wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 am https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... le-sharks/

So Tigers haven’t looked after Manu?

“The former Leicester centre has signed a year-long deal, set to take in 1½ Premiership seasons and understood to be worth about £300k.”

“ Tuilagi, officially released by Leicester this month after failing to agree terms for a contract extension, was tight-lipped on Tigers matters, which suggested that a legal dispute could be looming.”
Interestingly Steve Diamond is hoping to get "15 or 16" games out of Manu which is approximately every other game of 1 1/2 seasons. Guess that's how he "looks after players"
So at a contract of £300k that’s £20k a game.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm ...Interestingly Steve Diamond is hoping to get "15 or 16" games out of Manu which is approximately every other game of 1 1/2 seasons. Guess that's how he "looks after players"
That’s more than we’ve got out of him recently, isn’t it?

It would make an interesting mitigation point- “Diamond Geezer Stevie Diamond is paying you, allegedly, £300k for 15 or 16 games and Leicester were offering, say, £450k X 1.5 for a full season and a half plus a testimonial. Was your refusal to accept lower terms because you felt you would not be able to meet the physical requirements of your contract with Leicester, Mr T?”
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If Diamond gets 15 games out of Manu, they win the Premiership, crowds are up and Manu ends up on a Lions tour then every penny of that £300k will be worth it. But it is a bit of a punt on several fronts.

Also it sounds like Manu made a last ditch attempt to get the club to put out for him. I am so glad they didn't whatever the outcome.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It may be 300k from Sale PLUS 200k from Tigers as they are forced to complete the contract. This story has been in the Times and elsewhere. No wonder Diamond is so happy.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am It may be 300k from Sale PLUS 200k from Tigers as they are forced to complete the contract. This story has been in the Times and elsewhere. No wonder Diamond is so happy.
Again, only making massive guesses but I suspect that those figures may not be accurate. Any action for breach of contract comes with it an obligation to mitigate losses on the part of the plaintiff. Any case against the Tigers would be diminished by the fact that Manu would have taken a contract that was for an amount lower than that being offered by the Tigers. I guess the club could have agreed a higher payment just to see the whole thing gone and off the balance sheets but I would suspect that any claim against the Tigers would be hard pressed to achieve more than the loss represented by the Tiger's offer.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

He was a free agent when Sale signed him, so I would have thought any payoff would have already been agreed prior to his Tigers contract ending.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

From reading Manu's love letter to the club and fans that he published the other day I cannot imagine that he would be suing the club as that would be the biggest two faced action ever and that doesn't seem like Manu. I guess what others have written before is accurate - there has been or will be some sort of pay off or topping up. I can't see any other reason he would leave the club for less money having written what he wrote.

Yeah, Sale until the end of 20/21, England and Lions then time to line the pension fund. As long as he stays fit. Good luck to him. I wish him well. Even with the top up / pay off I suspect Tigers will still be quids in and have spare cap to spend elsewhere on longer term planning for the club with none of the liabilities that Manu could bring.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 am From reading Manu's love letter to the club and fans that he published the other day I cannot imagine that he would be suing the club as that would be the biggest two faced action ever and that doesn't seem like Manu. I guess what others have written before is accurate - there has been or will be some sort of pay off or topping up. I can't see any other reason he would leave the club for less money having written what he wrote.

Yeah, Sale until the end of 20/21, England and Lions then time to line the pension fund. As long as he stays fit. Good luck to him. I wish him well. Even with the top up / pay off I suspect Tigers will still be quids in and have spare cap to spend elsewhere on longer term planning for the club with none of the liabilities that Manu could bring.
I also cannot imagine for one moment that Manu actually wrote or dictated that. I imagine there was a lot of paraphrasing going on from whoever took it down!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 am From reading Manu's love letter to the club and fans that he published the other day I cannot imagine that he would be suing the club as that would be the biggest two faced action ever and that doesn't seem like Manu. I guess what others have written before is accurate - there has been or will be some sort of pay off or topping up. I can't see any other reason he would leave the club for less money having written what he wrote.

I also cannot imagine for one moment that Manu actually wrote or dictated that. I imagine there was a lot of paraphrasing going on from whoever took it down!
Absolutely there were far too many coherent sentences, but as long as they are his sentiments that’s fine
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Excellent article and follows on from Freddie’s sue your :censored: off tweet.
I particularly like the part from another clubs chairman, about agents not advising players realistically, and that what is happening at our club is the tip of the iceberg.

Obviously we will never know, but I can’t believe Manu/Freddie have gone back wanting £500k, after £350k was put on the table, and possibly adds credence to him being on much lower at Sale.
Wouldn’t fancy his chances of reclaiming lost money if this is all true.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm Down to earth Steve Diamond in The Times today - "He's used to having 24,000 people watching, wait until he sees more pigeons than people in the stadium!" :smt005
Sale have a crop of good centres. They have signed Manu to change the balance between pigeons and people. Once they are in, the hope will be that they stay. Good business decision rather than needing a player like manu.
As Good As It Gets
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:48 pm
DingDong wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm Down to earth Steve Diamond in The Times today - "He's used to having 24,000 people watching, wait until he sees more pigeons than people in the stadium!" :smt005
Sale have a crop of good centres. They have signed Manu to change the balance between pigeons and people. Once they are in, the hope will be that they stay. Good business decision rather than needing a player like manu.
Take your point, but if they’re not going into see Faff, Solomona, the Curry boys, and various others, Manu isn’t going to make that much of a difference.
It’s that dreary stadium in Salford with a back drop of Manchester’s motorway network, combined with them seeming to play quite a few of their home games on a Friday night, which is why they are so keen to get back to Sale.
On a slightly different tack, if Diamond is looking to get 15 games out of him only 8 of those are likely to be at home.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would think Sale's biggest problem re attendances is being in The North. Manchester is not exactly a hotbed of rugby union fans, unfortunately. Hopefully Manu will start to change that for them, but I won't hold my breath.