Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by northerntiger »

Richardfje wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:42 pm Does anyone else have a little feeling that it won't work out for Manu at Sale and he may do a bit of a Jonny May and return after a few years when it all doesn't go the way he'd hoped, because even though he's been replaced with Moroni who seems like a good bit of business, I don't feel like the Tigers backline will have enough go forward in midfield even with the signing of Nadolo.
In years gone by we've had too really explosive players if it's been Goneva, Manu, Alesana or Betham and there's probably more. I feel like we're lacking go forward in the backline still and if Manu were too want a return if it be next year or the year after. I'll take as he'll probably have less England duty after the Lions tour.
What are others peoples thoughts?
I don’t think he’ll come back, but I can see it all going wrong. He had a huge amount of credit in the bank at Tigers, partly due to his past form, partly due to his brothers. If he’d come 3 years ago, without the family legacy, there’d be calls of worst signing ever
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

northerntiger wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:42 pm
Richardfje wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:42 pm Does anyone else have a little feeling that it won't work out for Manu at Sale and he may do a bit of a Jonny May and return after a few years when it all doesn't go the way he'd hoped, because even though he's been replaced with Moroni who seems like a good bit of business, I don't feel like the Tigers backline will have enough go forward in midfield even with the signing of Nadolo.
In years gone by we've had too really explosive players if it's been Goneva, Manu, Alesana or Betham and there's probably more. I feel like we're lacking go forward in the backline still and if Manu were too want a return if it be next year or the year after. I'll take as he'll probably have less England duty after the Lions tour.
I don’t think he’ll come back, but I can see it all going wrong. He had a huge amount of credit in the bank at Tigers, partly due to his past form, partly due to his brothers. If he’d come 3 years ago, without the family legacy, there’d be calls of worst signing ever
Agree 100% with northerntigers statement.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Still salty. :smt005
Yes he's been injured but few players haven't been.
He's a good player, get over it and move on.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well I never put Betham down as an explosive player and I cannot see Many coming back even with his tail hanging between his legs.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21 pm

I was critical of Toomua. But crickey if you take northern tigers reference point: - Tuilagi's last three / four years at Tigers / No previous family connection / marquee player - he would be in a completely different dimension to Toomua on the wasted investment barometer.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Traveller wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 am

I was critical of Toomua. But crickey if you take northern tigers reference point: - Tuilagi's last three / four years at Tigers / No previous family connection / marquee player - he would be in a completely different dimension to Toomua on the wasted investment barometer.
Would he? Or would you consider him for like TV brilliant player when fit but unfortunately hampered by injuries?

Toomua struggled for form for long periods despite being fit. Being unable to regularly show his undoubted ability despite playing is far more irritating than some one who is injured but who you know will come back to perform again. Having said that Manu at 100% isn't something we've seen much of it's been more 80-90% Manu.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Probably time to move on from the "as he worth the money" debate and just remember how much we enjoyed watching him in a Tigers shirt when he was at full fitness and peak form.

I remember being at Welford Road to watch an 18 year old Tuilagi smash the South African 2nd XV to pieces, I don't think I've enjoyed a Tigers game that much since.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:20 pm Probably time to move on from the "as he worth the money" debate and just remember how much we enjoyed watching him in a Tigers shirt when he was at full fitness and peak form.

I remember being at Welford Road to watch an 18 year old Tuilagi smash the South African 2nd XV to pieces, I don't think I've enjoyed a Tigers game that much since.
Few have, unfortunately it was just before I started going, it is one of those matches I do wish I was there, but I wouldn’t have been at an age where I would have completely appreciated it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The real sad thing about this is that it puts a bit of tarnish over the achievement of the whole family, I would of preferred a nice parting at the end of the 20/21 season which most of us expected, a chance to say thank you to them all, regardless of the merits of Manu over the seasons, as a family they have been a positive, I hope bridges can be rebuilt as the family is a very big part of Tigers in the professional era & shouldn't be airbrushed from history.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:16 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:20 pm Probably time to move on from the "as he worth the money" debate and just remember how much we enjoyed watching him in a Tigers shirt when he was at full fitness and peak form.

Few have, unfortunately it was just before I started going, it is one of those matches I do wish I was there, but I wouldn’t have been at an age where I would have completely appreciated it.
I remember the barnstorming run in the final against Saints that helped win the 2013 title.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 am
Traveller wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 am

Would he? Or would you consider him for like TV brilliant player when fit but unfortunately hampered by injuries?

Toomua struggled for form for long periods despite being fit. Being unable to regularly show his undoubted ability despite playing is far more irritating than some one who is injured but who you know will come back to perform again. Having said that Manu at 100% isn't something we've seen much of it's been more 80-90% Manu.
To be clear. I think MT is one of the most extraordinary players I have ever seen. When he burst on to the scene he was sensational and under the direction of Eddie Jones he has pretty much remained so for England of late. I was responding specifically to the trail about a) if you narrowed it down solely to performances over the last three years for Tigers b) No family connections c) marquee status. What would the judgement be? If that were the case, and through no fault of his own in terms of injuries. IMO his overall contribution was minimal. No doubt a combination of the general malaise around the club at the time, his injury problems and absences due to international call ups. I've been pretty scathing about Toomua only because I was so excited when we signed him because he is pure class when on form. But for one reason or another we never really saw that. I guess the sad news of his recent separation from his wife, reveals something of the tensions and conflicting emotions he must have been experiencing when he was here. What would have been phenomenal would have been an all guns blazing on form set up of Youngs, Ford, Toomua, Tuilagi, May, Veianu and Holmes. Anyway looking forward - role on 2020-2021 and the new set up.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sapajo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:47 am
Well I never put Betham down as an explosive player and I cannot see Manu coming back even with his tail hanging between his legs.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well I'm not so sure that he will fail at Sale. With their multi-millionaire backers they have assembled a title challenging squad and with their big South African contingent they sort of remind me of Sarries a few years back. Plans to move to a new stadium too.
Iam not a huge fan of Diamond, and after several years of pointing out that he did not have the financial backing that some other teams have enjoyed, the pressure will be on him to deliver, but they will be up there or thereabouts, I think, and Manu will enjoy being part of that, if it happens.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Manu is a great player, he has had fitness issues but they actually appear to be behind him. He has moved on and I wish him all the best for his future. I believe the wage policy at Tigers was too much to a few players resulting in poor depth to our squad, hopefully those days are behind us but correcting the issue with the pandemic as the reason (excuse) probably cost us Manu, Veainu and the others however I think we may have a stronger squad overall. What happens at Sale is frankly not a concern to me only that they finish behind us in seasons after this one.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:02 pm Manu is a great player, he has had fitness issues but they actually appear to be behind him. He has moved on and I wish him all the best for his future. I believe the wage policy at Tigers was too much to a few players resulting in poor depth to our squad, hopefully those days are behind us but correcting the issue with the pandemic as the reason (excuse) probably cost us Manu, Veainu and the others however I think we may have a stronger squad overall. What happens at Sale is frankly not a concern to me only that they finish behind us in seasons after this one.
I would disagree only slightly by saying that Manu was a great player.
The reasons for his drop in form are many, his fitness, Tigers limited game plan, the players at Tigers around him, will the move to Sale elevate him to those heights again who knows.
I think that Sale fans, will have a limited time to enjoy, as like others I feel after The Lions tour, he’ll be off to France, possibly to join his ex neighbour Veainu in Paris.