Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm I would think Sale's biggest problem re attendances is being in The North. Manchester is not exactly a hotbed of rugby union fans, unfortunately. Hopefully Manu will start to change that for them, but I won't hold my breath.
You’re absolutely right, though interestingly Manchester rfc is the oldest in the country along with Blackheath.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think moving back to Sale will spark interest back into the region.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm I would think Sale's biggest problem re attendances is being in The North. Manchester is not exactly a hotbed of rugby union fans, unfortunately. Hopefully Manu will start to change that for them, but I won't hold my breath.
You’re absolutely right, though interestingly Manchester rfc is the oldest in the country along with Blackheath.
I am not sure that you are correct on that fact on Manchester RFC.Mark, IIRC then the oldest club was Guy's Hospital established in 1843, then Liverpool RFC in 1857 but Blackheath were formed in 1858 and Manchester was about 1860, Sale tacked in 1861.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nonetheless it’s still one of the oldest, but with Man City (boo) and Man United as well as Wigan Warriors in league, rugby union is still a minor sport in that area. I hope the Sharks to start to change that but they something more sustainable than Manu for 18 months and the Saffas.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wormus wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 pm
I am not sure that you are correct on that fact on Manchester RFC.Mark, IIRC then the oldest club was Guy's Hospital established in 1843, then Liverpool RFC in 1857 but Blackheath were formed in 1858 and Manchester was about 1860, Sale tacked in 1861.
My apologies I was told the fact by their committee members when visiting there 10 years ago, so it was more a case of memory than research.
I suppose my point is there is some history of rugby clubs in the North West, Orrell, Preston GH, and more up into Cumbria, but none are playing at the upper levels, though I’m sure there are many well supported grass roots clubs.
As JP14 says it will take more than some star players with all the football, and rugby league in the area for supporters to spend their hard earned money on, especially at present
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:55 am
wormus wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 pm

My apologies I was told the fact by their committee members when visiting there 10 years ago, so it was more a case of memory than research.
I suppose my point is there is some history of rugby clubs in the North West, Orrell, Preston GH, and more up into Cumbria, but none are playing at the upper levels, though I’m sure there are many well supported grass roots clubs.
As JP14 says it will take more than some star players with all the football, and rugby league in the area for supporters to spend their hard earned money on, especially at present
:smt023 Several of the northern RU clubs have merged and I expect that more in the UK will follow with the effects of Covid.
Oh Preston Grasshoppers & Dooley!
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Does anyone else have a little feeling that it won't work out for Manu at Sale and he may do a bit of a Jonny May and return after a few years when it all doesn't go the way he'd hoped, because even though he's been replaced with Moroni who seems like a good bit of business, I don't feel like the Tigers backline will have enough go forward in midfield even with the signing of Nadolo.
In years gone by we've had too really explosive players if it's been Goneva, Manu, Alesana or Betham and there's probably more. I feel like we're lacking go forward in the backline still and if Manu were too want a return if it be next year or the year after. I'll take as he'll probably have less England duty after the Lions tour.
What are others peoples thoughts?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Richardfje wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:42 pm Does anyone else have a little feeling that it won't work out for Manu at Sale and he may do a bit of a Jonny May and return after a few years when it all doesn't go the way he'd hoped, because even though he's been replaced with Moroni who seems like a good bit of business, I don't feel like the Tigers backline will have enough go forward in midfield even with the signing of Nadolo.
In years gone by we've had too really explosive players if it's been Goneva, Manu, Alesana or Betham and there's probably more. I feel like we're lacking go forward in the backline still and if Manu were too want a return if it be next year or the year after. I'll take as he'll probably have less England duty after the Lions tour.
Nope.
I feel he will go to France when the lions is over.

Nadolo, Murimurivalu IMO give us just as much power as the players you mentioned IMO.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 pm
Richardfje wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:42 pm Does anyone else have a little feeling that it won't work out for Manu at Sale and he may do a bit of a Jonny May and return after a few years when it all doesn't go the way he'd hoped, because even though he's been replaced with Moroni who seems like a good bit of business, I don't feel like the Tigers backline will have enough go forward in midfield even with the signing of Nadolo.
Nope.

Nadolo, Murimurivalu IMO give us just as much power as the players you mentioned IMO.
Agreed I don’t think you’ll see another Tuilagi in a Tigers shirt.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Nope.

I just still like we'll lack the power in midfield for defence and attack sometimes as if you look our centres on offer: Scott, Moroni and Taute, none of them seem to offer raw explosive power IMO and Moroni is only listed as weighing 88kg on Wiki which doesn't feel like a lot as a manu replacement
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Of course if you pass the ball properly & run at space you don't need bulk.
We have on paper a bit of heft upfront, quick ball makes it easier for the backs.
If you look at say the Crusaders backline, not exactly the land of giants, so if you play the right way & the pack do their job...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:12 pm Of course if you pass the ball properly & run at space you don't need bulk.
We have on paper a bit of heft upfront, quick ball makes it easier for the backs.
If you look at say the Crusaders backline, not exactly the land of giants, so if you play the right way & the pack do their job...
Absolutely 2 best centres in new Zealand at present are probably Goodhue and Lenard Brown, both solid customers but have so much more to their game than crash ball.
Moroni has been mentioned but Scott, Taute, Potter, and Nadolo at a push are hardly light weight.
I think that Tigers fans have become used to relying on Tuilagi power, that they don’t see any other way.

Apologies to all,you youngsters out there but before a bloke called Charlie Kent played for England, centres were usually around 13 stone and relied on footwork and pace to beat a man, not just run over the top of him.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:12 pm Of course if you pass the ball properly & run at space you don't need bulk.
Absolutely 2 best centres in new Zealand at present are probably Goodhue and Lenard Brown, both solid customers but have so much more to their game than crash ball.
Moroni has been mentioned but Scott, Taute, Potter, and Nadolo at a push are hardly light weight.
I think that Tigers fans have become used to relying on Tuilagi power, that they don’t see any other way.

Apologies to all,you youngsters out there but before a bloke called Charlie Kent played for England, centres were usually around 13 stone and relied on footwork and pace to beat a man, not just run over the top of him.
In more recent times Woodward & Guscott were all about swerve.

Quick ball, non set defence, pass in front of the man, take the pass on the move, look for space, less collisions mean less injuries at a simple level as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Nope.

No I cannot see him returning to us under any circumstances, but he may regret hid decision to join to Sale.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Why would he regret his decision to join Sale?