Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:49 pm I think the fact that this thread is now 19 pages long basically discussing the departure of one player says a lot.
I’m not sure what but it says a lot.

He’s gone, some say he will be missed, others say he won’t, we’ll never all agree
I think it says a few things, one that Manu has been at this club for nearly 11 years now and has been an incredible servant throughout that time. But the fact that Manu is one of the Premiership's most well known players warrants the media attention, however this has worsened the situation with sensationalist "journalists" wanting ad revenue by giving time to so-called lawyers, inside sources etc.

I too am glad the situation is pretty much over now, but I want to thank Manu for his service, let's face it he could have left a long time ago, and I wish him well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well done on your statement Manu.
Time for everyone to move on.
Let the new era at Tigers begin.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... le-sharks/

So Tigers haven’t looked after Manu?

“The former Leicester centre has signed a year-long deal, set to take in 1½ Premiership seasons and understood to be worth about £300k.”

“ Tuilagi, officially released by Leicester this month after failing to agree terms for a contract extension, was tight-lipped on Tigers matters, which suggested that a legal dispute could be looming.”
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TomWeston wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 am https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... le-sharks/

“ Tuilagi, officially released by Leicester this month after failing to agree terms for a contract extension, was tight-lipped on Tigers matters, which suggested that a legal dispute could be looming.”
Could be that Manu has settled and has a confidentiality clause is maintaining the agreement.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Or it could be he just doesn't want to talk about it?
Players hardly talk about contracts.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Legal action would appear unlikely now. The Tigers had one card to play, the fact that a contract was in place and, whilst it meant that the club remained obligated to pay wages, it also prevented the player from joining up to another club. Any contract termination would be on one of 2 grounds, we reach mutual agreement or we pay out the contract in full. The second option would seem highly unlikely as we would be as well off keeping the player. That would suggest a settlement was reached.

Sale were clear that the contract negotiations with Manu were a 3 way thing with Tigers being involved. As such, the most likely outcome is that we agreed to pay a certain amount and Sale pay the remainder. This would be tied to the agreement being in full and final settlement and, I suspect, a non disclosure agreement as it could sour any ongoing negotiations with other players.

It is my honest belief that this is all over now and anything ongoing is just the press scrabbling for more sensationalist headlines. Tigers have made the appropriate statement thanking Manu for his time at the club, Manu has made the appropriate statement thanking the club and players, I really think that is the end of it.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I find it unfathomable and unforgiveable that Manu should sight :-

"Steve Diamond “looks after players” as a chief reason for the switch"

As the reason whay he left Tigers when the club rescued his career from injury.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:37 am I find it unfathomable and unforgiveable that Manu should sight :-

He'd already left the club so that wasn't the reason. After leaving he then agreed a new deal with Sale as the club "looks after players", it's all in the interpretation!!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:37 am I find it unfathomable and unforgiveable that Manu should sight :-

I am not sure you can read too much into this. People rationalise decisions in their own minds in different ways plus there will be restrictions over what he can and cannot say publicly. The media (and social media) will have demanded some sort of commentary and this is what he gave (or something like it, edited for journalistic effect). Probably not terribly significant.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

How is this thread still going?

Hes gone and no longer our player. We couldn't warrant the spend on him for the return we get, he wanted too maintain his income so left. Win win for both partys.

He's only signed until the end of next season so I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for England, go on the Lions Tour and then spend a year/ two years in France or Japan picking up a monstrous wage.

A lot will depend on whether or not he stays fit and if Eddie Jones intends to take him to the next World Cup.

Its been said before but no one is bigger than the club. We are 11th in table and finished 11th last season, I'd be more concerned if we were top and these players were leaving.

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to seeing who develops and steps up to filling the shirt he's left behind.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2020/07/12/le ... aufua/amp/

A long read, but is the most informative item on the topic for anyone who can be bothered to continue being interested in off the pitch matters. This bloke knows his stuff.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Systonite wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 am http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2020/07/12/le ... aufua/amp/

A long read, but is the most informative item on the topic for anyone who can be bothered to continue being interested in off the pitch matters. This bloke knows his stuff.
An incredibly one sided article that seeks to look only at the potential claims with none of the defences (how do you show any form of dismissal when wages are being paid in full, is training part of a standard sporting contract) or any reference to the way that the courts may view such matters in the light of the current pandemic. The article is full of supposition that is, at best, skewed towards the view of the players. If I were researching a point of law relevant to my current area of practice, I would be looking for something a bit less determined to nail the club in question (look at the numerous hyperbolic references to the attitude and actions of the Tigers as well as a whole section shooting down the ability to recoup losses without any details as to the terms of the agreement proposed) and would look for something that produced a more even, and less bombastic approach. Sadly reads to me as an article written by someone looking to pick up clicks and media quotes as an 'expert' in the legal side of things.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:28 am How is this thread still going?
People like me and you keep responding :smt003 :smt003
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Manu is a superstar and my family and I have enjoyed watching him develop in a Tigers Shirt, particularly in his younger years. Same for the other members of his family who played for Tigers.

But he has now moved on for which I wish him the best and thank him for the memories. No point in dwelling on what could have been. My view is that if the move suits Manu, his family, Tigers and Sale (and England by default) it’s a win win for everyone. If he decides to sue, so be it - he will do what is best for him and his family like we all should.

Time to support the team we have.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

TomWeston wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 am https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... le-sharks/

So Tigers haven’t looked after Manu?

“The former Leicester centre has signed a year-long deal, set to take in 1½ Premiership seasons and understood to be worth about £300k.”

Interestingly Steve Diamond is hoping to get "15 or 16" games out of Manu which is approximately every other game of 1 1/2 seasons. Guess that's how he "looks after players"