BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:55 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:37 pm
I don't often disagree but perhaps the dubious tag team target tackle caused the injury; the context may have been as you state. How that is relevant to 7 years, don't know.
7 years is relevant to the general increase in the gain line struggles of the Leicester pack.
How? I am struggling with your Manu games per year equation with gain line struggles. Causality?
Yes causality.
Struggling pack, slow ball, limited space, going sideways, give it to Manu.
We will see how it plays out regarding injuries at Sale behind a strong pack.
I suspect he'll become more of a finisher than a carrier.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:52 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm I don’t think he’s the Lions certainty some feel he might be.
There is a lot of good centre talent across the 4 nations.
Interesting, I would argue the centre pool in the Isles have decreased since 2013: we have Manu who has been name checked by Gatland after the World Cup, Tompkins who everyone rates but was caught out in the Six Nations on too many occasions, Jonathan Davies is really starting to struggle with injury, Parkes is a possibility but it won't be a popular one, Garry Ringrose who has failed to consistently live up to the expectation given to him, Robbie Henshaw is another who has struggled with form & injury, the same goes for Huw Jones, Sam Johnson would be a shout though...

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of centres are English with Slade (although I doubt it), Tuilagi, Marchant, possibly Ollie Lawrence but he needs international exposure first... Joseph too is a possibility as he has seemed to have overcome his injury problems.
If Manu is fit then he'll be in the squad - it's as simple as that, based on reputation if nothing else. Whether he plays in a Test jersey is down to form, available partners, the opposition and the game plan.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

speedski wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm Thank god that's over.

I note Steevie quoted his commercial value above his playing value in terms of priorities. I guess he can go round and say hello to the 250 people in the hospitality suite and then the rest of the home crowd before half time :smt002
And we'll get less walk up fans without the draw of seeing Tuilagi.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm

I note Steevie quoted his commercial value above his playing value in terms of priorities. I guess he can go round and say hello to the 250 people in the hospitality suite and then the rest of the home crowd before half time :smt002

Yeh all 5 of those games he played in this was massively higher than the others....
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm

I think we'll cope. :smt002
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I mean I'm now a Sale fan... :smt003

In all seriousness, this talk about games played etc and his worth to the team does miss the fact that casual fans and new fans need household names they recognise to tempt them in. Although Genge will have mitigated most of it as the newest media favourite. He's probably as important to have kept than anyone else name recognition wise.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm I mean I'm now a Sale fan... :smt003

In all seriousness, this talk about games played etc and his worth to the team does miss the fact that casual fans and new fans need household names they recognise to tempt them in. Although Genge will have mitigated most of it as the newest media favourite. He's probably as important to have kept than anyone else name recognition wise.
Leicester Tigers - founded in 1880. There was a time when Manu Tuilagi didn't play for the club. The former playground of Stransky, Johnson, Back, Corry, Woodward, Dodge, Cusworth, Wheeler, various other Tuilagi's. Somehow I can't help thinking that other players will come through. If anything Manu is more yesterday's man than the future. Which is not meant to demean him - he has been a wonderful player. But I am now more excited as about watching Reffell and Steward come through and become the new Warburton and Williams as I am reading about Manu's recovery from his latest groin injury.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The big money question - quite literally in this case - is how much are Sale paying him?

This could go two ways for us and Sale it really could. To me this is not one of those deals that is a win win.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Bon Voyage mon brave..Someone please turn the lights out.
We are not a team of one. Please lets look forward with the potential progress.
To be honest The star player for Sale is Faff.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Whether this was a good move or not depends entirely on the replacement(s) and the recruitment as a whole.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am Whether this was a good move or not depends entirely on the replacement(s) and the recruitment as a whole.
and, I would suggest, the attitude of those who have remained at the club :smt023
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am Whether this was a good move or not depends entirely on the replacement(s) and the recruitment as a whole.
Or, on whether the club survives and whether it would have survived had this not been done. I suspect this is a situation that is more important than the quality of our playing squad.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is a large Fijian in our squad now, if you are looking for box office appeal....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder if Sale will play Manu at wing to accommodate Rohan Janse vans Rensburg and Sam Hill or just rotate the three in the centres to keep everyone fresh?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am I wonder if Sale will play Manu at wing to accommodate Rohan Janse vans Rensburg and Sam Hill or just rotate the three in the centres to keep everyone fresh?
Possible though I don’t know how safe he would be under the high ball, and what his kicking game is like.
Also he isn’t as quick as he once was, I honestly think they’ll rotate those 3 and they’re other options