Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:13 pm Just read a post that hes on 200k at Sale,that cant be right surely?
I reckon he burnt his bridges here, tried to get back in when he found other 'offers' not materialising and has now had to settle for this!
If that’s true it’s about what he’s worth in the current climate tbf.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gatland will definitely take him if he continues his current international form and with SA physicality hes absolutely nailed on to start too. Then its just a question of 12 or 13 and who you pair him in MF with
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm I don’t think he’s the Lions certainty some feel he might be.
There is a lot of good centre talent across the 4 nations.
Interesting, I would argue the centre pool in the Isles have decreased since 2013: we have Manu who has been name checked by Gatland after the World Cup, Tompkins who everyone rates but was caught out in the Six Nations on too many occasions, Jonathan Davies is really starting to struggle with injury, Parkes is a possibility but it won't be a popular one, Garry Ringrose who has failed to consistently live up to the expectation given to him, Robbie Henshaw is another who has struggled with form & injury, the same goes for Huw Jones, Sam Johnson would be a shout though...

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of centres are English with Slade (although I doubt it), Tuilagi, Marchant, possibly Ollie Lawrence but he needs international exposure first... Joseph too is a possibility as he has seemed to have overcome his injury problems.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I dont think it would work but dont put it past Gatland going Biggar/Farrell/Tuilagi!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

SD said that he has joined on the same 25% cut as the rest of the squad according to Steve Jones- "Sale Sharks boss Steve Diamond today revealed “three or four” clubs had tried to sign Manu Tuilagi. The England international has joined the Sharks on the same financial terms as the rest of the squad, who have agreed temporary 25 per cent pay cuts."
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 pm SD said that he has joined on the same 25% cut as the rest of the squad according to Steve Jones- "Sale Sharks boss Steve Diamond today revealed “three or four” clubs had tried to sign Manu Tuilagi. The England international has joined the Sharks on the same financial terms as the rest of the squad, who have agreed temporary 25 per cent pay cuts."
Interesting....as if you believe what he'd said previously Sale weren't one of them. I tend to not believe anything that comes out of his mush.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:13 pm SD said that he has joined on the same 25% cut as the rest of the squad according to Steve Jones- "Sale Sharks boss Steve Diamond today revealed “three or four” clubs had tried to sign Manu Tuilagi. The England international has joined the Sharks on the same financial terms as the rest of the squad, who have agreed temporary 25 per cent pay cuts."
Sounds like a Sale internal PR message to get players and fans onside.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure a player who is a new signing can have a 25% pay cut! Presumably it will be going up when the others do.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 pm Gatland will definitely take him if he continues his current international form and with SA physicality hes absolutely nailed on to start too. Then its just a question of 12 or 13 and who you pair him in MF with
That was the case with the previous Lions tour prior to his getting injured. The other centres spoke as if they were competing to play alongside him rathe rthan ahead of him. When fully fit he has abilities that no other centre in world rugby can match. Shame he has gone but we can't pay what we can't pay.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Not sure a player who is a new signing can have a 25% pay cut! Presumably it will be going up when the others do.
Oh dear, poor old Stevie 'deal clinching, straight talking, I tell it like I see it and I see it like I tell it'' Diamond really does have an self-confidence issue. Not content to just sign Tuilagi - our Stevie has to tell everyone he fought of "three or four" to sign Tuilagi. Was it a with a tomahawk or knuckle dusters?

So no excuses Stevie. Time to win the premiership.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:37 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I don't disagree often but I do here.
The injury against Sarries for example was down to being used to try and carry a team that simply couldn't get over the gain line, I know as I was there watching that day.
Cause and effect.
I don't often disagree but perhaps the dubious tag team target tackle caused the injury; the context may have been as you state. How that is relevant to 7 years, don't know.
7 years is relevant to the general increase in the gain line struggles of the Leicester pack.
How? I am struggling with your Manu games per year equation with gain line struggles. Causality?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Diamond has difficulty lying straight in bed :smt044
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

For once, I think most of us are in a agreement. We've been talking about Manu in terms of fitness and £££ deals for so long we've almost forgotten why we loved in so much.

With TV and Manu quite a lot of stardust is walking out that door. But I reckon also a bit of ego is going with it too. And maybe we'll see something resembling a professional rugby team - that can build a solid foundation again. We've been too flaky for too long.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:52 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm I don’t think he’s the Lions certainty some feel he might be.
There is a lot of good centre talent across the 4 nations.
Interesting, I would argue the centre pool in the Isles have decreased since 2013: we have Manu who has been name checked by Gatland after the World Cup, Tompkins who everyone rates but was caught out in the Six Nations on too many occasions, Jonathan Davies is really starting to struggle with injury, Parkes is a possibility but it won't be a popular one, Garry Ringrose who has failed to consistently live up to the expectation given to him, Robbie Henshaw is another who has struggled with form & injury, the same goes for Huw Jones, Sam Johnson would be a shout though...

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of centres are English with Slade (although I doubt it), Tuilagi, Marchant, possibly Ollie Lawrence but he needs international exposure first... Joseph too is a possibility as he has seemed to have overcome his injury problems.
You just don’t know with Gatland , I just think there are a number of centres at a similar level and everyone is carried away with De Allende.
His current record with the chiefs means he could choose a Xmas selection box at present
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Thank god that's over.

I note Steevie quoted his commercial value above his playing value in terms of priorities. I guess he can go round and say hello to the 250 people in the hospitality suite and then the rest of the home crowd before half time :smt002