Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I don’t mean this in a mean way but I feel like it has always been about the money with Manu, no shame in that. Everyone is different with other priorities. Every time his contract came up for renewal there was always stories in press about him going abroad for more money.

Rumour is even on Friday he contacted the club and stated he wanted to play for Tigers, but on his original contract with no 25% cut. I’m glad the club stayed firm as no player is bigger than Tigers. We need for the power shift to be away from the players and in the hands of management.

Was chatting to a friend in employment law and he said obviously nothing is a certainty. However, two things stood out for him. Firstly, we’re living in unprecedented times and from what he’s heard the courts will not be very sympathetic to cases like these. Secondly, I’m guessing he has now gone to Sale on more money than his reduced Tigers contract, so no damages. But even if his Sale contract is lower, good look trying to prove you haven’t self inflicted any drop in income. Appears from the press that all parties have agreed to an amicable split.

Club can move on. Always felt Manu was an amazing ball carrier, world beating no doubt. However, look at Nonu, same player but grew a handling and kicking game. Something Manu has never done. We want committed players like Ford and Youngs. I feel the backs will function much better with someone with basic handling skills at 13 and who doesn’t shoot up in defence.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm Halo effect. Look at his stats... 40 games up to 2013, 47 since (Ave under 7).
The Sale Supporters Forum could do with seeing that. They seem to think they dont need him based on their current players. I think this is more about Sale trying to get their spectator numbers up with a crowd puller.
As Good As It Gets
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Should still be seen as a Tigers star, despite the terms of his exit. At times he was unplayable for us.
I do think given the speed of his new deal/club, he won’t be chasing Tigers for any contractual breach.
Also, as said above, in these unprecedented times, where clubs are having to try and evidence ‘agreed’ cuts to ensure there is still a club to keep paying the players and staff, someone refusing a cut when the majority of colleagues, including board members, have done, will probably not be looked upon favourably. The job security of the masses should outweigh the minority. The players were not blackmailed (as far as we know), they were offered a proposal, which they chose to turn down.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm Halo effect. Look at his stats... 40 games up to 2013, 47 since (Ave under 7).
I don't disagree often but I do here.
The injury against Sarries for example was down to being used to try and carry a team that simply couldn't get over the gain line, I know as I was there watching that day.
Cause and effect.
I don't often disagree but perhaps the dubious tag team target tackle caused the injury; the context may have been as you state. How that is relevant to 7 years, don't know.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Great player, great draw. But he has gone and good luck to him. I look forward to seeing how we go without him.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I loved watching Manu play BUT the facts are over the last few seasons he certainly wasn’t worth the huge salary he was on: that’s not his fault but the Tigers’ Board for agreeing to pay him so much.
Compare his stats to Matt Smith, who was on very modest money, and there is only one Tigers Legend!
Time now to move on with players who want to stay and hopefully the Board, D.O.R. and coaches all respecting the players’ contracts.
Let’s get back to having more Matt Smiths, Brad Barrett, Ben And Tom Youngs ( and bless him, Jack Charlton) types who are fantastic players who also understand the need for all our Premiership( and all other clubs) survive difficult times.
Good luck Manu and all the players who have left.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:37 pm
The injury against Sarries for example was down to being used to try and carry a team that simply couldn't get over the gain line, I know as I was there watching that day.
Cause and effect.
I don't often disagree but perhaps the dubious tag team target tackle caused the injury; the context may have been as you state. How that is relevant to 7 years, don't know.
The original groin issue I believe was a syndrome known as Gilmores Groin, which is a very painful Hernia type condition. I think then the gang tackling exacerbated the situation, and the Tigers S&C had to learn how to deal with the situation in terms of work load up to a game. This is why you would read reports of him struggling to be fit for England as the work load was different
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Delighted the saga is over. The club had decisions to make that were in its best interest. MT had to decide what was in his best interest. However, I tired of the continual Manu saga. Is he fit? Isn’t he fit? Is he going to stay? Isn’t he going to stay? Is he available? Why isn't he available?

For the first time in years I have a real sense of optimism. Clean slate, spring clean, catharsis, call it what you will. A great coaching team. Talented and committed players some with great international experience, others home grown, starting out on their professional journey. Who want to be at the club. In the main tied down to two / three year contracts which gives the coaches an opportunity to build. A sizeable chunk of money to spend on additional players. The icing on the cake would be if JT decides to stay – but even if he leaves – the club will move on.

It seems to me that the Board washed the shirt before ironing it and that is the right way to make decisions. I'm not sure that many clubs have done that. Tigers get the negative media attention because its Tigers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers legend status gone for me,left a very sour taste! Good luck in the future though, I will still follow him with England and the Lions
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I share everyone's optimism but would like to re-emphasise we have not suddenly returned to the all-conquering team overnight, there will be more hiccups on the road ahead, we must still have patience!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Cause and effect.
7 years is relevant to the general increase in the gain line struggles of the Leicester pack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just read a post that hes on 200k at Sale,that cant be right surely?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:13 pm Just read a post that hes on 200k at Sale,that cant be right surely?
I reckon he burnt his bridges here, tried to get back in when he found other 'offers' not materialising and has now had to settle for this!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope so Fentiger,it serves himself right if that's the case. From what im reading that seems to be the case. The wording seems to be he was a free agent too so I dont see any legal problems in the future

"We contacted Manu’s agent and Leicester Tigers last week to discuss the player’s current position. After discussions on Friday, all parties – Leicester Tigers, Manu Tuilagi and Sale Sharks – agreed that the player was a free agent and was able to enter into negotiations with another club...” ‘
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I don’t think he’s the Lions certainty some feel he might be.
There is a lot of good centre talent across the 4 nations.