Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by mol2 »

A player may well sign for less than he is currretly on.

I appreciate that the legalities are complex.

However by standhim down Tigers may well have been seen to dismiss him and probably breach contract. (I'm sure Tiger's will counter this by citing the enormous loss in income forced by the Covid situation.)

The amount Manu signs for is likely to be distorted by the short notice period he has received and the desire to remain in England to continue his international career or family reasons. If this were a planned departure I am sure plenty of clubs would be considering allocating a hefty chunk of their salary cap in a bid, but the immediate nature of this precludes this.

If the rumours are true he could well be playing for Sale yet getting a significant proportion of his income from Tigers if this gets as far as the courts. How much would be down to the judge and there is the possibility of damages and costs above this if the Judge decides that Tigers could have paid. If their books are in order that bit is less likely. However the fact that we have continued to make signings makes that a more difficult case to argue and if the Judge is not understanding of the need to fill certain positions the cost could be considerable.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

If the rumours are true he could well be playing for Sale yet getting a significant proportion of his income from Tigers if this gets as far as the courts. How much would be down to the judge and there is the possibility of damages and costs above this if the Judge decides that Tigers could have paid. If their books are in order that bit is less likely. However the fact that we have continued to make signings makes that a more difficult case to argue and if the Judge is not understanding of the need to fill certain positions the cost could be considerable.

Other than on here I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere, it just isn’t going to happen.
Last edited by Mark62 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I can see the arguments on the legalities and we are unlikely to ever know the full picture nor should we.

That said, there was a contract in place that was binding on both sides. The fact that an announcement was made stating that the players in question were no longer part of the club would suggest that a lump sum or similar settlement was reached with each player to mutually end the contracts. It is unlikely that the club would release players from their contracts in a position whereby they could go to another club and have most of their wages paid by the Tigers, that would not make any form of financial or practical sense. An agreement where we pay part of the salary is not impossible and would make some sense.

I think the important point though was the announcement that the players had left the club made last week. That to me suggests a full and final settlement had been reached with each individual as to make such an announcement without that would get rid of the one bargaining chip that we had left. Prior to that, whilst we were still paying the agreed wages, we may not have been in breach of any contractual terms unless there was an obligation to provide training.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think the important point though was the announcement that the players had left the club made last week. That to me suggests a full and final settlement had been reached with each individual as to make such an announcement without that would get rid of the one bargaining chip that we had left. Prior to that, whilst we were still paying the agreed wages, we may not have been in breach of any contractual terms unless there was an obligation to provide training.

Totally agree with this, it’s the end move on let’s stop trying to guess what might happen 2 years down the road.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 am
Would also be consistent with the Club insisting initially that the players had been "stood down". It becomes clearer how significant that language was in contractual terms.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Basically it was about the money. Fair does, but isn't it time to accept the verdict of history and move on?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

It is true that the details of any agreement made between the club and Manu are unknown. There may have been a settlement already.There may not. If not, Manu is not in breach of contract signing for another club after being stood down by Tigers. In fact to make any claim against Tigers he must demonstrate loss. If he has not sought to mitigate that loss by signing for another club, his claim against Tigers would be reduced. It would not be seen as unreasonable for an England international to sign for another English Premiership club on a good, but lower, salary. Whether he has conducted himself well during previous contracts is irrelevant and, unfortunately, Tigers' ability to make good his salary up to the level agreed in his contract due to Covid-19 is also irrelevant.

Tigers will have been well aware of all the legal ramifications whilst working their way through the difficulties facing them. They have made the decision to stand players down who would not voluntarily accept the 25% wage reduction despite the possibility of being liable to continue paying those players to some extent. However, it would not be workable to accede to the demands of those players whilst cutting the wages of the remaining players. The choice was clear and a difficult decision was made.

Whatever may yet need to be resolved off the pitch, I wholeheartedly agree that it's time to move on with some new coaching staff, some new committed players and new hope.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Or Tigers could of buried there heads in the sand & gone bust.
Being a PLC brings I believe different laws & regulations, the club cant trade if insolvent, which you could argue without its main income it could easily be.
If Manus intentions are to go abroad post Lions tour & Tigers as publically stated imposed the same pay cut across the board, the Manu stance just appears purely money based, not a good look in the current climate.
Good luck to the bloke, he clearly loves playing Rugby, a change of scenery might help him, but I personally believe he has never reached the level he could have.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TBF, he played in a world cup final last year. The only way he could do any better than he has is to win next time!!
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Manu confirmed to Sale until end of 2020/21 season

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/manu-tui ... le-sharks/
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

As he has been released, then that suggests a end to his contract was mutually agreed. If he had not agreed, then Tigers would not be able to release him without payoff (in full id suspect).
As for the possibility of going to court to receive the balance of any wages, I can’t see any court ruling favourably on that in the current climate. When every club is making (agreed) salary cuts across the board, there is clear reasoning why, it is not just being done in isolation.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 pm Manu confirmed to Sale until end of 2020/21 season

Sad to see this.
Manu is a good player who could do well behind that Sale pack, their squad is impressive and could seriously challenge Exeter.
Short term but if it contributes to delivering silverware then they won't care.
Personally I don't get the negativity over his performances, he simply hasn't had the pack to play behind to maximise potential at Leicester in recent years, not the only player to be affected by poor front foot ball.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

BFG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:40 pm
Faulks04 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 pm Manu confirmed to Sale until end of 2020/21 season

Sad to see this.
Manu is a good player who could do well behind that Sale pack, their squad is impressive and could seriously challenge Exeter.
Short term but if it contributes to delivering silverware then they won't care.
Personally I don't get the negativity over his performances, he simply hasn't had the pack to play behind to maximise potential at Leicester in recent years, not the only player to be affected by poor front foot ball.
I agree. I would only add the frustration that so much of that ball has been kicked away at 9 and 10.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Halo effect. Look at his stats... 40 games up to 2013, 47 since (Ave under 7).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm Halo effect. Look at his stats... 40 games up to 2013, 47 since (Ave under 7).
I don't disagree often but I do here.
The injury against Sarries for example was down to being used to try and carry a team that simply couldn't get over the gain line, I know as I was there watching that day.
Cause and effect.