Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:18 pm I'd be interested to see what the fallout is for us at Tigers, I see Nadolo retweeted Freddie's tweet, really hope this hasn't unsettled him and his arrival...
Nadolo is in the country and his quarantine ends tomorrow.
Thanks for that Tigerbeat I was wondering where he was. No doubt Bondi will have one of his new Tiger in town photos
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wouldn’t read into the re-tweet by Nadalo too much, people sometimes do that just to raise the awareness of the tweet without necessarily agreeing with what’s being said.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:32 pm You may well be right, but there are two differences between Manu to Sale and Enever to Tigers:

1) Enever is undoubtedly a lot cheaper
2) Tigers needed a lock to replace Spencer, Sale do not have a first choice centre departing

It's one thing to make a planned move to replace someone who has left, it's another to splash out on a player you don't need on the spur of the moment.
I completely agree, and my comparison is undoubtedly not perfect. My point was that in professional sport there is almost always a player who is deemed to be worth more than you and will start ahead of you if they were in the same team. And Clubs will always look to sign the top players. No rugby player would have made it to this level if they didn't understand that.
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:47 pm Sorry but there is a huge difference, all of Tigers signings will have been brought in to replace departing players and I seriously doubt any of the incoming players will be on more than those they replaced, when you consider the likely wages May, TPN, Spencer were on etc.
Secondly Manu was reportedly on £600k, and asked to take a 25% cut down to around £450k, which he rejected therefore will have signed for Sale for more. Other than their 2 marquee players, at a guess Faff and another South African no other Sale players will be on anywhere the money Manu is demanding
You're correct. I wasn't suggesting that most players would be on the same money, just that the rest of the Sale squad don't hate their two marquee players because they get paid more than the rest of them. If Sale can afford whatever Manu is worth to them then every professional sports player will understand that. It's literally the nature of professional sport, always has been.

Manu is a world-class centre. He will make any team that he plays for stronger, especially the teams that are actually in the play offs or have aspirations for the important knock out games where individual performances count.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You make some fair points. The one, imo, you are missing is that a large number of the Sale squad have had to take pay cuts, apparently Diamond made late night visits to a number of them to get the deals done. Their squad seems well stocked at centre and out of the blue, they make an expensive signing, who is injury prone and likely to be away with England for long periods.
I for one will be surprised if he makes a huge impact
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Fissler tweeted

Signing Manu Tuilagi until the end of season is a touch of genius by Steve Diamond. A world class player that none of his title rivals can get for the run in. Midfield with Rohan Janse van Rensburg is top table.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:12 pm Fissler tweeted

Signing Manu Tuilagi until the end of season is a touch of genius by Steve Diamond. A world class player that none of his title rivals can get for the run in. Midfield with Rohan Janse van Rensburg is top table.
Then we'll sign him back for next season :smt003
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Is the assumption that Manu is an expensive signing for Sale a sound one? We are in breach of contract by not paying him the amount stipulated in his contract and standing him down. If he signs for Sale, are we not obliged to pay the difference between what Sale pay him and the amount we are contractually obliged to pay him? If so, have Sale not executed a shrewd piece of business?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Systonite wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 pm Is the assumption that Manu is an expensive signing for Sale a sound one? We are in breach of contract by not paying him the amount stipulated in his contract and standing him down. If he signs for Sale, are we not obliged to pay the difference between what Sale pay him and the amount we are contractually obliged to pay him? If so, have Sale not executed a shrewd piece of business?
Not really that simple, despite what the lawyers crawling out of the woodwork are saying.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Agreed. It's not simple and there may yet be litigation, but I stand by it as a broad summary.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I am not a lawyer either, but I would have thought Manu would be equally in breach of contract accepting an offer from another club? Either way, I would imagine it would be a matter sorted out in the courts. Protracted and undoubtedly expensive.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

I think Manu should be cautious about going down the litigation route.

In a Guardian article before the World Cup he admitted lieing to the Tigers medical staff about the extent of his groin injury which ultimately led to a 15 month lay off.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... id-ireland

Im no expert but lieing to your employer about your medical condition, especially when it proves so costly, could be construde as breach of contract?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's not that simple. You can't create the damages yourself by accepting a really low salary elsewhere when you had the opportunity to earn much more.

That choice could then be seen as a break in the chain of causation. I.e. it was your decision that caused you to lose money, not the breach of contract by Tigers.

We're also assuming that there has been a breach of contract by Tigers, when there's every chance that it has already been negotiated and settled. We don't know how that contract was ended so there's not much use speculating.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'The Rugby Papers' leader, in terms of style, tone and (unsubstantiated) purported comment was for me , unworthy of the publication.The reaction and potential ramifications it has garnered was totally to be expected.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Systonite wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 pm Is the assumption that Manu is an expensive signing for Sale a sound one? We are in breach of contract by not paying him the amount stipulated in his contract and standing him down. If he signs for Sale, are we not obliged to pay the difference between what Sale pay him and the amount we are contractually obliged to pay him? If so, have Sale not executed a shrewd piece of business?
Simple answer is yes it’s the Tuilagi family we’re talking about, and why would you go and sign for another club for less than the amended offer from your previous one.
Also the club will have taken legal advice, they will have acted properly, the people in charge know what their doing, despite the doom mongers on here
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:18 pm I'd be interested to see what the fallout is for us at Tigers, I see Nadolo retweeted Freddie's tweet, really hope this hasn't unsettled him and his arrival...
Both Nadolo and Taufua have followed Freddie on twitter, don’t think there is a lot to read into it.
He is an experienced rugby player who has traveled the world, think it’ll take a bit more than this to upset him.