Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm True I don’t know what they are being paid but am 100% sure that Genge or Ford could have more or less named their price at other clubs. My main issue is people banging on about Slater and Burns years after they have left which I think most posters find tedious :smt003
Slater and Burns had to be sacrificed, it was the only way to get people to stop banging on about Twelvetrees... :smt002
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm True I don’t know what they are being paid but am 100% sure that Genge or Ford could have more or less named their price at other clubs. My main issue is people banging on about Slater and Burns years after they have left which I think most posters find tedious :smt003
I only bring that up when people cry about players not being loyal to the club, the club did what they thought was in the best interests of the club, as it should, as it is doing now, but people have a double standard when it comes to players and that is tedious as well
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Slater and Burns had to be sacrificed, it was the only way to get people to stop banging on about Twelvetrees... :smt002
well it didn't work his name is still mentioned regularly
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm

don't cry about lack of loyalty from players when the club has forced players out who were under contract when they no longer wanted them, it works both ways
Think you might have missed the point. The world is on the edge of a finial crisis, caused by this pandemic. They were offered the same reduced contract as all others, and THEY chose not to sign them, no forcing out involved.
As for loyalty I would agree that it is in life a very out dated concept. How many of us visit price comparison websites when a policy is due for renewal
Mark you misunderstood my reply I was talking about Slater and Burns, the current situation is something different
My apologies, my comments re loyalty stand though. Apart from dyed in the wool sports fans, it is an out of date concept
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Think you might have missed the point. The world is on the edge of a finial crisis, caused by this pandemic. They were offered the same reduced contract as all others, and THEY chose not to sign them, no forcing out involved.
As for loyalty I would agree that it is in life a very out dated concept. How many of us visit price comparison websites when a policy is due for renewal
Mark you misunderstood my reply I was talking about Slater and Burns, the current situation is something different
My apologies, my comments re loyalty stand though. Apart from dyed in the wool sports fans, it is an out of date concept
I agree fully and that was my point also, Tigers have to do what's best for the club and players what's best for their careers/families
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Funny how absence elevates some players from capable to lost superstar.

Slater being an example. An OK second row but let’s not kid ourselves he is/was more than a bottom half of the division lock. Not a Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes or in reality near international selection.
Gloucester rate him but our aspirations have to be higher than being better than Gloucester.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 pm Oh well best of luck to him. Strange move imo obviously totally financially motivated, no club loyalty.
Another club with a wealthy benefactor, bet those players who got late night visits from Diamond aren’t very happy.
I looked at the Sale fans forum when the rumour first broke and the overwhelming view was no. One reason is absence for England and history of injuries. Another was they thought it would hack off the rest of the squad who had accepted the Sale paycut and the thought of Manu going for the sort of money Tigers could not afford would not go down well with other players. Hmmm.
As Good As It Gets
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 pm Funny how absence elevates some players from capable to lost superstar.

Slater being an example. An OK second row but let’s not kid ourselves he is/was more than a bottom half of the division lock. Not a Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes or in reality near international selection.
Gloucester rate him but our aspirations have to be higher than being better than Gloucester.
I would have thought captaining England’s midweek side In New Zealand counts as ‘near international selection. He was unfortunate that he got injured at the time some younger players came through.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 pm Funny how absence elevates some players from capable to lost superstar.

Slater was a very good player and a fantastic captain for Tigers. Injuries at the wrong time robbed him of deserved caps and he was unlucky that his missed opportunities came at a time when a plethora of quality England locks were coming through. A few years earlier when Kennedy and Palmer were getting capped and he wouldn't have had the same problems.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Diamond told RugbyPass: “................................People see what we are doing and our ability get everything sorted unlike other clubs. I think we are being dragged into it and I know Manu’s agent well and I trust him not to have brought us into it and I don’t know if it is the current club throwing it around to try and force the arm of the individual...................

Ol' Stevie 'straight talking, tough talking, deal clinching' Diamond, loves to create this narrative about himself as a big player in the game. The sort of guy that would nickname himself 'stud' and try his just too hard to make sure that's what is mates called him.

Not sure what it is gnawing away deep inside him that he needs to make the snippy comments about Tigers. Or maybe I do, for someone who has been in the coaching game a long time, and views himself as a major mover and shaker - his actual record is pretty mediocre.

So on the basis that 'People see what we are doing and out ability to get everything sorted unlike other clubs' - we can all expect Sale to win the Premiership this year / next year and get to at least the semis in Europe - can't we Stevie.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Next season is the test for Diamond - he's got an excellent team and Sarries will be absent. Premiership final and knockout stages of Champions Cup should be the expectations.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 pm Next season is the test for Diamond - he's got an excellent team and Sarries will be absent. Premiership final and knockout stages of Champions Cup should be the expectations.
1.Coenie Oosthuizen
2.Akker van der Merwe
3.Jake Cooper-Wooley
4.Jean-Luc du Preez
5.Lood de Jager
6.Dan du Preez
7.Tom Curry
8.Jono Ross

9.Faf de Klerk
10.Rob du Preez

11.Denny Solomona
12.Sam Hill
13.Manu Tuilagi
14.Marland Yarde
15.Luke James

16.Cameron Neild
17.Ross Harrison
18.WillGriff John
19.Josh Beaumont
20.Ben Curry
21.Will Cliff
22.AJ McGinty
23.Sam James

Pretty nuts that Rohan Janse van Rensburg would struggle to make the 23 at full strength. Cobus Wiese is a very good player too who they've added after his Sarries contract falling through.

I'm interested to see how they do over the next 18 months. Dan du Preez was excellent this season, arguably outshining his brother, but Ben Curry has been steadily improving over the last year. Their back row depth is impressive.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Should Manu to Sale be the done deal as is currently being reported , I would personally wish him and his family well.
Lets face it , he had to end up playing somewhere and Leicester had to make the decisions that they have done.Things happen.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

All that's happened is he has left 12 month's earlier than he was going to, I would suggest it's the same with Telusa as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

1.Coenie Oosthuizen
2.Akker van der Merwe
3.Jake Cooper-Wooley
4.Jean-Luc du Preez
5.Lood de Jager
6.Dan du Preez
7.Tom Curry
8.Jono Ross

9.Faf de Klerk