Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by RagingBull »

Might be Pepe Silvia BUT
Who broke the 12 players out of contract including Manu? Telegraph
Who reported that Manu might take legal action? Telegraph
Who broke that Sale was in talks with Manu? Telegraph
Who Said 11th hour potential comeback to Tigers? Telegraph
Who is breaking the news that Manu has signed for Sale?

I think that most likely confirms something that realistically we all knew doesn't it.

My guess is that 11th hour comeback was a last ditch attempt to get Sale to up their price. Especially given what Murphy and Ben Youngs have said.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting developments if true, I thought Sale had already confirmed their 19/20 squad? Appreciate that I'm being a bit pedantic as no squad is complete for a certain amount of time with loans, sudden departures, retirements etc but in my view it isn't the best thing PR wise to announce your full squad for the remainder of the 19/20 season only to announce Manu a week later...

Unless of course they sign him from the 20/21 season, but that wouldn't make much sense to me?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Oh well best of luck to him. Strange move imo obviously totally financially motivated, no club loyalty.
Another club with a wealthy benefactor, bet those players who got late night visits from Diamond aren’t very happy.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 pm Oh well best of luck to him. Strange move imo obviously totally financially motivated, no club loyalty.
Another club with a wealthy benefactor, bet those players who got late night visits from Diamond aren’t very happy.
ask Ed Slater and Freddie Burns if they think Tigers have loyalty to players?

its professional sport, the only loyalty comes from fans
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:56 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 pm Oh well best of luck to him. Strange move imo obviously totally financially motivated, no club loyalty.

Clearly don't read what the fans say on forums and social media then.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 pm

fans who vent anger and frustration are still loyal, when they stop doing that you need to worry, apathy is what shrinks a fan base more than anything
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:00 pm

:smt015
don't cry about lack of loyalty from players when the club has forced players out who were under contract when they no longer wanted them, it works both ways
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Try telling all of the players who re-signed that there is no loyalty some of which could have got far more money elsewhere. :smt003
A2O
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:03 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 pm

fans who vent anger and frustration are still loyal, when they stop doing that you need to worry, apathy is what shrinks a fan base more than anything
Well the one thing he doesn’t need to worry about at Sale, is a large fan base.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:06 pm Try telling all of the players who re-signed that there is no loyalty some of which could have got far more money elsewhere. :smt003
they will have their reasons for staying as Manu has his reasons for leaving, you have no idea what they may or may not have been offered elsewhere, it would depend on the other clubs needing someone in their positions
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm

don't cry about lack of loyalty from players when the club has forced players out who were under contract when they no longer wanted them, it works both ways
Think you might have missed the point. The world is on the edge of a finial crisis, caused by this pandemic. They were offered the same reduced contract as all others, and THEY chose not to sign them, no forcing out involved.
As for loyalty I would agree that it is in life a very out dated concept. How many of us visit price comparison websites when a policy is due for renewal
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would argue we already in a financial crisis, but your point remains nonetheless.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The expectation of loyalty in sport is ridiculous, as though it should be some kind of selfless eutopia where everyone acts like Jesus. Get down off your crucifix, it's just a game (or business, depending on your point of view).

The club did what was best for the club. The players who stayed did what was best for themselves. The players who left did what was best for themselves. And the fans? They stick with one club because the idea of changing clubs is just embarrassing, particularly when the benefit a fan gets from the deal is the feeling of tribal belonging - so yes, they do what's best for themselves too.

If there is less loyalty in the world now, it is not because there is less desire to be loyal, but because there is more opportunity to be disloyal.

No loyalty in sport, just people being people. Nothing wrong with that. But to accept that means giving up at least part of that warm fuzzy feeling of tribal belonging, so let's all pretend we believe in the noble spirit of sporting loyalty. :smt023
Last edited by Tiglon on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

True I don’t know what they are being paid but am 100% sure that Genge or Ford could have more or less named their price at other clubs. My main issue is people banging on about Slater and Burns years after they have left which I think most posters find tedious :smt003
A2O
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm
Think you might have missed the point. The world is on the edge of a finial crisis, caused by this pandemic. They were offered the same reduced contract as all others, and THEY chose not to sign them, no forcing out involved.
As for loyalty I would agree that it is in life a very out dated concept. How many of us visit price comparison websites when a policy is due for renewal
Mark you misunderstood my reply I was talking about Slater and Burns, the current situation is something different