Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Manu Tuilagi

Post by Traveller » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:28 am

Reading the various press reports swirling around, I really do hope that it is a decent parting of the ways. Heaven forbid that we end up with a 'Deano' situation. I am not sure if it was Manu's first game for Tigers, or just the first time I saw him, but it was against Bath and he was an utter force of nature. I had never seen anything like it - well Lomu yes - and others. But it was clearly is was an electrifying prospect.

It isn't his fault that he was injured for such prolonged periods. It isn't his fault that he has missed a lot of games due to international call ups. It isn't his fault that we haven't seen the best of him because successive coaches have come and gone.

By the same token it isn't the club's fault that Covid 19 has taken a scythe to the whatever plans and commitments they had made. Both parties faced with real challenges. I just hope it can end in a civilised manner.

The chat in the media will be fish and chip wrapping paper next week (metaphorically speaking). The bigger picture is that we need him to leave knowing that he can return a Tigers hero.

wellstiger
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 712
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Manu Tuilagi

Post by wellstiger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:35 am

Here's a snippet - Manu Tuilagi has a case against Leicester Tigers over wage dispute?

I'm sure if IF this is something he is addressing, he will have lost all the good will of supporters and a club that has paid him to rehabilitate after surgeries just to get him fit for his England career.

Likewise this could open the floodgates for others to exploit. Hope it is not true. We are struggling financially without ambulance chasing lawyers adding to the woe.

I'm sure the club has acted in good faith and within the terms of contractual obligation. :smt013

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm

wellstiger wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:35 am
Here's a snippet - Manu Tuilagi has a case against Leicester Tigers over wage dispute?

I'm sure if IF this is something he is addressing, he will have lost all the good will of supporters and a club that has paid him to rehabilitate after surgeries just to get him fit for his England career.

Likewise this could open the floodgates for others to exploit. Hope it is not true. We are struggling financially without ambulance chasing lawyers adding to the woe.

I'm sure the club has acted in good faith and within the terms of contractual obligation. :smt013
Interesting after Freddie’s tweet about only knowing half the story.

ay2oh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by ay2oh » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm
wellstiger wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:35 am
Here's a snippet - Manu Tuilagi has a case against Leicester Tigers over wage dispute?

I'm sure if IF this is something he is addressing, he will have lost all the good will of supporters and a club that has paid him to rehabilitate after surgeries just to get him fit for his England career.

Likewise this could open the floodgates for others to exploit. Hope it is not true. We are struggling financially without ambulance chasing lawyers adding to the woe.

I'm sure the club has acted in good faith and within the terms of contractual obligation. :smt013
Interesting after Freddie’s tweet about only knowing half the story.
What else is Freddie going to say as he is probably the cause of Manu rejection a wage cut :smt016
A2O

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:31 pm

ay2oh wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm
wellstiger wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:35 am
Here's a snippet - Manu Tuilagi has a case against Leicester Tigers over wage dispute?

I'm sure if IF this is something he is addressing, he will have lost all the good will of supporters and a club that has paid him to rehabilitate after surgeries just to get him fit for his England career.

Likewise this could open the floodgates for others to exploit. Hope it is not true. We are struggling financially without ambulance chasing lawyers adding to the woe.

I'm sure the club has acted in good faith and within the terms of contractual obligation. :smt013
Interesting after Freddie’s tweet about only knowing half the story.
What else is Freddie going to say as he is probably the cause of Manu rejection a wage cut :smt016
Totally agree

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Traveller » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:31 pm
ay2oh wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm


Interesting after Freddie’s tweet about only knowing half the story.
What else is Freddie going to say as he is probably the cause of Manu rejection a wage cut :smt016
Totally agree
Which is why I say - I hope a wiser head who he respects, perhaps an Eddie Jones or Warren Gatland figure takes him aside and says, "you need to see the bigger picture, your legacy". You've spent most of your life growing up in Leicester, going to school, developing as a player. Things do go wrong sometimes. People handle things poorly - maybe your advisers / maybe you / maybe the club. But don't go burning bridges. Leave with class. Develop your career elsewhere just as Jonny Wilkinson did. Win a test match series for the British Lions in South Africa, and when you do, at the moment of celebration wrap a Tigers scarf around your neck because that is where you were formed. Don't burn bridges - the supporters don't want you to do so.

AngusMcCoatup
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Coates.

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by AngusMcCoatup » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:17 pm

No one, absolutely no one is bigger than the Tigers Club!
Just look at the care Tigers gave him through thick and thin, injuries, suspensions, England injuries and the ridiculously low number of games for Tigers. Is £40,000 ? per game good value?
Time to move on and see if we can retain others with the savings and use home grown talent first.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!

GB72
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by GB72 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:31 pm

I used to be a massive Manu fan, not much better than seeing him rampaging about the pitch but much of the love has dissipated. Not blaming any player for earning as much as they can but every new contract seemed to be another lesson in brinkmanship played out through the papers with supposed sightings at various clubs at any stage that Tigers seemed to have dug their heals in. I honestly felt that we should have called his bluff over the last contract. Each one of those contract negotiations left a bitter taste, the actions seeming mercenary rather than those of a person brought up through the ranks, supported through thick and thin despite injury and discipline issues and of someone with a true love for the club. Recently I have felt that Tigers were a means to continue his England career and not much more.

A great shame as he was a true force of nature on the pitch

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Ian Cant » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Sadly Freddie, as an agent has done nothing to help a Tigers with one or two occasions recently where he has tried to get inflated salaries for his players.
It wasn’t Manus fault Tigers agreed to the huge increase in salary last time and personally I was torn at the time,( having watched Manu develop from the academy to first fifteen), I wanted him to stay but did think Freddie’s demands were ridiculous and, Manu could only have gone to France if he had sacrificed his England career! Freddie has to act like all agents so good luck to him BUT there is a larger picture now with lots of people losing their lives and jobs.

ay2oh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by ay2oh » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Have now lost respect for Manu who it seems has no empathy for the clubs position and is only interested in squeezing every last drop out of the coffers.
A2O

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2001
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:44 pm

do we know when the players received the reduced contracts on offer? how much time they had to think and make a decision, if they were given it less than a week before the club imposed deadline then for me that would be poor form by the club to do that players need time to think talk to their families etc and ye, weigh up other offers.

If Manu Tuilagi picks up the phone tomorrow and says he has thought it over and talked to his partner and has decided they want to stay where they are the club should get the contract in his hand before he puts the phone down, same with any of the players mentioned.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Scott1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm

So have the players definitely gone or not? Is the door still open? 🤔

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Mark62 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:44 pm
do we know when the players received the reduced contracts on offer? how much time they had to think and make a decision, if they were given it less than a week before the club imposed deadline then for me that would be poor form by the club to do that players need time to think talk to their families etc and ye, weigh up other offers.

If Manu Tuilagi picks up the phone tomorrow and says he has thought it over and talked to his partner and has decided they want to stay where they are the club should get the contract in his hand before he puts the phone down, same with any of the players mentioned.
I’ve seen June 8th mentioned

ay2oh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by ay2oh » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm

He’s had the same amount of time as all of the other players who have accepted wage cuts. Would urge the club to let him go and spend the money on someone who is here all season and wants to play for the shirt.
A2O

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3945
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by strawclearer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Traveller wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:31 pm
ay2oh wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 pm


What else is Freddie going to say as he is probably the cause of Manu rejection a wage cut :smt016
Totally agree
Which is why I say - I hope a wiser head who he respects, perhaps an Eddie Jones or Warren Gatland figure takes him aside and says, "you need to see the bigger picture, your legacy". You've spent most of your life growing up in Leicester, going to school, developing as a player. Things do go wrong sometimes. People handle things poorly - maybe your advisers / maybe you / maybe the club. But don't go burning bridges. Leave with class. Develop your career elsewhere just as Jonny Wilkinson did. Win a test match series for the British Lions in South Africa, and when you do, at the moment of celebration wrap a Tigers scarf around your neck because that is where you were formed. Don't burn bridges - the supporters don't want you to do so.
Excellent sentiments and sound advice.

To completely usurp Shakespeare's Malcolm to Duncan on the death of Cawdor:

"Nothing in his Tigers career became him like the leaving it."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Stay Home>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests