Ideas for revenue generation at Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GwrxTiger
Tiger Cub

Re: Ideas for revenue generation at Tigers

Post by GwrxTiger »

Following on from some of the early posts in this thread, I've often wondered why the club cant broadcast matches that aren't picked for TV via their website, in return for a fee, perhaps £5-10. Its not like the TV companies are losing anything, as they aren't televising the match anyway, and the club records all the matches anyway, so it would be revenue for basically no cost. The technology is commonplace, anyone could broadcast from their seat with a smartphone. I am sure someone will come up with a cunningly plausible reason why it violates some sort of contractual arrangement, but I am curious, even academy games etc, surely there's a market there?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

GwrxTiger wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm Following on from some of the early posts in this thread, I've often wondered why the club cant broadcast matches that aren't picked for TV via their website, in return for a fee, perhaps £5-10. Its not like the TV companies are losing anything, as they aren't televising the match anyway, and the club records all the matches anyway, so it would be revenue for basically no cost. The technology is commonplace, anyone could broadcast from their seat with a smartphone. I am sure someone will come up with a cunningly plausible reason why it violates some sort of contractual arrangement, but I am curious, even academy games etc, surely there's a market there?
The issue is BT still holds the rights to the unbroadcasted games here, other companies like Rugbypass actually show every single prem game live, however you can only access Rugbypass in certain countries
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

GwrxTiger wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm Following on from some of the early posts in this thread, I've often wondered why the club cant broadcast matches that aren't picked for TV via their website, in return for a fee, perhaps £5-10. Its not like the TV companies are losing anything, as they aren't televising the match anyway, and the club records all the matches anyway, so it would be revenue for basically no cost. The technology is commonplace, anyone could broadcast from their seat with a smartphone. I am sure someone will come up with a cunningly plausible reason why it violates some sort of contractual arrangement, but I am curious, even academy games etc, surely there's a market there?
Well the TV company are sort of losing money though.
The idea is that people who want to watch rugby but can't go to games will more likely watch the game on TV.

Now if clubs could show their games if they aren't being shown on TV will they watch the Televised match?
It's why it's more valuable for them to buy the rights too all games rather than try and get rights to say 4 games a weekend for a lower price.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm
Well the TV company are sort of losing money though.
The idea is that people who want to watch rugby but can't go to games will more likely watch the game on TV.

Now if clubs could show their games if they aren't being shown on TV will they watch the Televised match?
It's why it's more valuable for them to buy the rights too all games rather than try and get rights to say 4 games a weekend for a lower price.
+ Tigers run the risk of losing out too. There could be many a fan that decides they’d rather watch from the warmth of their living room than stand on a wet and windy terrace. Many will bear the wind and rain whilst faced with no other option to see their team play that weekend.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tbh there are many a wonderful idea in this thread but the simplest of things got me. When I only had a half season ticket I wasn’t re-marketed for renewal. Surely converting a half season ticket to full should be shooting fish in a barrel.
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

I am not sure how the £1 for the cup works or where the money goes. Maybe there should be an option of "donate the deposit to the club" when returning the cups?
That will provide a couple of quid here and there, and such a minute amount means people possibly wont hesitate to do it when theyre drunk(?)
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

HandOfBack wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 pm That will provide a couple of quid here and there, and such a minute amount means people possibly wont hesitate to do it when theyre drunk(?)
Bit cynical, no?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

"Bit cynical, no?"

Came across a little wrong there. I mean, i would quite happily give a few quid when sober. Always a lot of cups left about, so maybe an incentive for people to return them to help the club out a little more?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ideas for revenue generation.
Start a new fashion line, maybe expanding one day into items such as perfumes and so on, and perhaps a new designer logo to promote it to a wider audience.
Doh!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Ideas for revenue generation.

Win more games and get to finals?
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Some good ideas everyone, I have a couple myself.
The club could set up Spot the ball just like the Football one, it would be very cheap to set up and would bring in a steady flow of cash and all give us the supporting masses a chance to win a prize?
Another idea would be boxing, the club could stage Rugby’s Hard men prize fighter. Just think of some of the games current and former Hard men going toe to toe, I would bet that people would flock to see Mr White and Mr Sheridan go he’ll for leather and Johnno and Dean Ryan, just a thought😀
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

How about £1 donation for every spelling mistake or bad grammar on hear, some would off loose a lot of ther're money but it wold be for a good corse!

It would be a bit of fun. :smt046 Where do I send my fiver?

ps should that be 6 quid?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pm How about £1 donation for every spelling mistake or bad grammar on hear, some would off loose a lot of ther're money but it wold be for a good corse!

It would be a bit of fun. :smt046 Where do I send my fiver?

ps should that be 6 quid?
More like sevun
As Good As It Gets
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pmps should that be 6 quid?
What has an unwell cephalopod got to do with anything? :smt002

Coat in hand.
LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pmHow about £1 donation for every spelling mistake or bad grammar on hear, some would off loose a lot of ther're money but it wold be for a good corse!
On a more serious note, who would point out these grammatical errors? Anyone who has previously has been all but tarred and feathered for daring to speak out :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:40 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pmps should that be 6 quid?
What has an unwell cephalopod got to do with anything? :smt002

Coat in hand.
LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pmHow about £1 donation for every spelling mistake or bad grammar on hear, some would off loose a lot of ther're money but it wold be for a good corse!
On a more serious note, who would point out these grammatical errors? Anyone who has previously has been all but tarred and feathered for daring to speak out :smt003
Love the sea food joke, brilliant! :smt046

Yes I'm aware that spelling is deemed a no-go area, it grates with me, but the spell check usually underlines the most obvious mistakes and folks could self police this, bit like a swear box. It could serve to self- educate, without the need for anyone to call another out, and it would raise a lorra lorra money. :smt023