Potential lockdown in Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Potential lockdown in Leicester

Post by Rutlandtiger »

To suggest the team train at some other location to get round a lockdown is wrong. It is against the principles of a lockdown and sends a very bad message. Not the way a responsible organisation operates!
This is no different, should a lockdown occur for impacted people to say 'Leicester is locked down so let's go to Melton for a day out and a beer in one of the recently opened pubs'.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

How many of the players actually live 'in Leicester'. If they live outside the city, then surely they wouldn't be allowed in if locked down, so would need to go somewhere else to train if oval park is within the locked down area.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:54 pm Oval Park of course isn't in Leicester.
Far too obvious and geographically correct for some doom mongers on here! :smt023
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It seems that the majority of the outbreak is in North Evington , Highfields to us locals, his is an area of mainly terraced houses and is a largely Moslem area, it may or may not be significant that the increase in infection comes shortly after a very important religious time for people of that faith. We may find similar spikes in Belgrave iin October/November following Divali for Hindu and Sikh communities and again after Christmas.
Oval Park our training ground is pretty well protected, few players live in the city, a few in Clarendon park but mostly well outside the city boundary so I anticipate no problems, if there were then I suggest we might use our Academy training facilities at Brooksby College which is very rural and very good.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am It seems that the majority of the outbreak is in North Evington , Highfields to us locals, his is an area of mainly terraced houses and is a largely Moslem area, it may or may not be significant that the increase in infection comes shortly after a very important religious time for people of that faith. We may find similar spikes in Belgrave iin October/November following Divali for Hindu and Sikh communities and again after Christmas.
Oval Park our training ground is pretty well protected, few players live in the city, a few in Clarendon park but mostly well outside the city boundary so I anticipate no problems, if there were then I suggest we might use our Academy training facilities at Brooksby College which is very rural and very good.
All too sensible John, some will find fault with communities in the city area. Both Soulsby (first government details emailed to him at 1.04am this morning) and the Public Health boss have said the data and much else from central government is lacking and there's too much of a PR line rather than facilities on the ground. This is a classic test/trace scenario.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Also, i think they are only considering delaying the upcoming lifting of lockdown measures as opposed to a return the early lock down rules - therefore Tigers will be allowed to continue as they are.
if you want a pint or a haircut, you may have to wait a bit longer in Leicester
Less is more....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Oadby inc in tightened lockdown measures!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Considering the schools have until Thursday, I'd imagine Tigers (and City) will be given time to find alternative training venues unless they are given special dispensation. I guess we'll see...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The conditions that Tigers and guess City too are controlled environments with procedures in place and access controlled. So it may not affect the Clubs.........wait and see.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

fleabane wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:56 pm If it happens, and Mike Hancock has been widely trailing it, its a fair guess that it will be subject to a review after three weeks, as have other COVID restrictions.

No training for three weeks? That’s the end of a mid August start for Tigers season. Would this affect other clubs European expectations, or Premiership title if Tigers were unable to complete the season, (even in October or November?).

Long way to go.
I thought it meant an extension of 2 weeks to where we currently are, but where the rest of the country will have pubs and restaurants available this won't happen for Leicester, so if the team are training now, then that should be OK to continue
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Again this surely comes down to where the players live. As the training ground is inside the locked down area, if players also live within this boundary they can go to Oval Park. If they live outside the lockdown boundary they can't (or shouldn't) travel inside the boundary and therefore can't go to Oval Park......

Also those that do live in the lockdown boundary can't travel outside of the boundary. So there could be two sets of training squads.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Everything is ok surely as the Horse Racing is just trotting on regardless, I would think the City & us could have a strong case of restriction of trade if we get stopped but racing doesn't.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Looks like large areas of the country are going to get the same treatment. The FT (behind paywall, shared on FB by a mate) has revealed that the government stats are bogus - there has been a continued RISE in new cases (called Pillar 2 on the graph) while the government has been quoting declining data (Pillar 1) - the second wave (or possibly the third) is on us now.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm Looks like large areas of the country are going to get the same treatment. The FT (behind paywall, shared on FB by a mate) has revealed that the government stats are bogus - there has been a continued RISE in new cases (called Pillar 2 on the graph) while the government has been quoting declining data (Pillar 1) - the second wave (or possibly the third) is on us now.
Surely not! I follow Johns Hopkins and Our World In Data(ECDC data). What has been clear for at least a month is that the decline in daily cases has slowed and was fairly static at circa 1200 per day confirmed, probably 3 or more times that in reality and nowhere near the low hundreds seen in Spain and Italy. BBC report also confirmed England as being the most heavily affected of the G7 nations. FT analysis is good as are several others. Official sources I find "concerning".
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Both City and Tigers have Covid secure procedures in place and the training grounds are controlled access areas.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk