One & half seasons into one.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

One & half seasons into one.

Post by johnthegriff »

It seems that we are going to have to cram the remaining matches from 2019/20 including European fixtures plus all matches for 2020/21 into little more than the time allocated for one season, meanwhile the RFU are proposing completing this year's 6 Nations, next years 6 Nations and a collection of other internationals into the same period. In order to avoid player burnout will we need bigger squads to enable player rotation and that is going to be difficult whilst trying to reduce the wage bill or are we just going to play the youngsters, possibly before we would normally consider them ready?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: One & half seasons into one.

Post by ads »

I'm of the opinion we should treat the rest of this season as an elongated pre-season. We're not going to win the league or get relegated, if we make the top six, then bonus. We've always got the euros as another chance to get into the Heineken cup. play all the players we have and work out the best combinations, its a great chance to blood some of the youngsters when there's stuff to play for but the end result doesn't really matter too much.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Totally agree with ads!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The remainder of this season (European matches notwithstanding) should , I believe be used for/as groundwork and preparation for 2020-21.Great opportunity to place and establish both personnel and a system.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If you want to look on the bright side Covid has done Tigers a massive favour in terms of allowing the new backroom to take shape and have a few games to play around with before starting a new campaign.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I'm with ads and Ourla re this.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Add one more to that. We've been given a potential advantage over those still fighting for top 4. Experiment, learn, give experience and be fresh for 20/21.

Crazy situation though.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Win the home games because no team should ever be given an easy ride at WR and we need to bring back the fear factor. Away games experiment and blood some of the youngsters. Take Europe seriously as some silverware and big knock out games always helps morale.

Agree we should be building for next season but some of that will need to be mentality. We to not lose at home, should be part of that mentality.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We had only lost at home twice in the Prem and once in the Prem Cup (this and the Exeter game we really should have won), all the other home games we won the problem was that we had hardly any home games and our away form was poor.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Presumably the remainder of the season is only being played to ensure TV and sponsorship money (and possibly for Exeter). As has been pointed out, squeezing a season and a half in to one season is certainly not going to benefit player welfare. I can't get very excited about the rest of the season if it just something to get through and I am concerned that the congestion will have an adverse effect on next season's performances as well, for all teams. I can understand the necessity, just not happy about it.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

I think it’s likely that will be moving to the global calendar for the 2020/2021 season where the move to the season starting in December will be a permanent one.