Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Julian Montoya

Post by BFG »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm Montoya is the sort of hooker that can help make props look good.
Add him to Genge and Leatigaga and it could get messy.
Scrum, maul, carrying, pressure, pressure and more pressure.
Brute force, that can also play a bit.
Did that not used to be our forte?
I think so.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm Montoya is the sort of hooker that can help make props look good.
Add him to Genge and Leatigaga and it could get messy.
Scrum, maul, carrying, pressure, pressure and more pressure.
Brute force, that can also play a bit.
Did that not used to be our forte?
My memory isn't that good, help me out.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Perhaps not a surprise anymore if/when announced , but a superb signing.Massive emphasis to be placed on the set piece , I would surmise.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53184895
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The reality is that the pack will have a heavy workload given that we will effectively run from this season into next season.

This will be a burden on all the players but playing up front in this heat will be tough. Probably put more emphasis on set piece for many sides with more kicking to touch to get a breather. Sides that can challenge the opposition line out and overpower on their own ball will have an easier time. Having an international hooker will be very important.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:52 am The reality is that the pack will have a heavy workload given that we will effectively run from this season into next season.
I'm interested to see how they arrange this. Current season sounds like it'll run from mid August to mid October. How long a break there will be after that I don't think has been announced yet. I suspect the LV Cup (or whatever it's called now) will be scrapped to make room in the schedule. The players will have a tough run up to next summer but they have had a bigger rest than many would normally have with the mid March to mid June rest period. Hopefully that will help mitigate against injuries in the months to come.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Penning him down now for 2021/22 seems the best option.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:32 am Seems like a done deal
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53184895
If so I hope it's a well-written contract from Tigers point of view. So much can happen in the space of 14 months, not least the player's fitness and especially in the front row.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Salary caps aside - And I know we go on about Tigers DNA starting at ABC. But I for one am seeing Positive signings and as others have said the" grunt factor" looks to be there for the future. Lets hope the utility wingers get the rewards.
Before every one starts moaning about the game moving on - the basics remain the same.
Dominate the set pieces, grunt up and finish with a flourish. We may be getting the dynamics right to achieve that.

IN MY OPINION
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I personally have no issue with grunt up front, the problem previously was the backs became at times embarrassingly poor.

I started watching Tigers when we won by guile & skill, the backs treasured the ball our pack got & as such didn't waste it, far too often when our pack was miles ahead of the opposition, the backs levelled the game up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!