Price Waterhouse hired for restart.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Price Waterhouse hired for restart.

Post by jgriffin »

Premiership Rugby hires consultants to help tackle restart problems. Why? Vulture firm. Probably more relevant expertise among supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... restarting?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Price Waterhouse hired for restart.

Post by speedski »

For the same reason everyone hires consultants.

When it goes south, there's someone else to blame...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Because they haven't got a clue what they're doing and have so little imagination that they think throwing as much money as they can scrape together at a big company will solve all their problems.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:09 pm Because they haven't got a clue what they're doing and have so little imagination that they think throwing as much money as they can scrape together at a big company will solve all their problems.
More expertise in the supporters group.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

speedski wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 pm For the same reason everyone hires consultants.

When it goes south, there's someone else to blame...
PWC are also a recognisable name and a massive global company. Biggest audit firm in the world they now have fingers in many pies that have little or nothing to do with accountancy. Including overseeing the voting for the Academy Awards.

Using them makes Premiership Rugby look big and important and in control even if they are not. As you say it's also someone to blame if you don't really know what's the best thing to do.
nasher

Post by nasher »

It gives a clear indication that the powers that run PRL and custodians of elite professional game finally appreciate that they have made a complete mess of it. Or does it? In my career when things go awry the best cop out is “it is not my/our fault it was those consultants.”
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Not so long ao a certain club we all love did exactly the same with disastrous results - let's hope the old farts are not spending too much money on this. I have just had a brainwave - why not have a review of the resulting cock-up, reporting to the committee in time for it to be considered before the 2024 AGM with a 4 stage traffic light road map and daily press conferences.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:50 am Not so long ao a certain club we all love did exactly the same with disastrous results - let's hope the old farts are not spending too much money on this. I have just had a brainwave - why not have a review of the resulting cock-up, reporting to the committee in time for it to be considered before the 2024 AGM with a 4 stage traffic light road map and daily press conferences.
One review reporting to one committee? Are you mad?

They'll also need a review of the review, 6 working groups to feed into the review and 4 sub-committees to really drill down into different specific details of the issues and each submit their own review of said details to the committee. Then there's an audit committee to check that the committee are doing things correctly and someone's going to need to find time to have a good chinwag over a bottle of Puligny with Smithy from the yacht club because he really knows his stuff on this stuff.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:23 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:50 am Not so long ao a certain club we all love did exactly the same with disastrous results - let's hope the old farts are not spending too much money on this. I have just had a brainwave - why not have a review of the resulting cock-up, reporting to the committee in time for it to be considered before the 2024 AGM with a 4 stage traffic light road map and daily press conferences.
One review reporting to one committee? Are you mad?

They'll also need a review of the review, 6 working groups to feed into the review and 4 sub-committees to really drill down into different specific details of the issues and each submit their own review of said details to the committee. Then there's an audit committee to check that the committee are doing things correctly and someone's going to need to find time to have a good chinwag over a bottle of Puligny with Smithy from the yacht club because he really knows his stuff on this stuff.
Or like Tigers could have done, they could convene the STH volunteers from the clubs (I suspect they could've just used Tigers STHs)who have real and appropriate legal, medical, logistics, organisational and managerial expertise and had a working group formed from them who would work with insight and alacrity to sort things out faster than PWC can delegate to a bunch of witless and exhorbitantly expensive juniors.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's not as if they haven't even got another sport to see how they are doing things.
Legalities can be kept simple enough, you always offer an opt out.
As far as matchday support is concerned you stick to the government guidelines.
As for testing, you hire a testing company.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I can see an Ealing comedy sketch somewhere in there.
or
"It all makes work for the working man to do"

I dare not make a decision on my vast income in case I mess up and lose my job or get ridiculed in public.
So - I will do what everyone else is doing.... set another up to blame - then I can stand back and criticise. Cheaper in the long run.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

[/quote]
Or like Tigers could have done, they could convene the STH volunteers from the clubs (I suspect they could've just used Tigers STHs)who have real and appropriate legal, medical, logistics, organisational and managerial expertise and had a working group formed from them who would work with insight and alacrity to sort things out faster than PWC can delegate to a bunch of witless and exhorbitantly expensive juniors.
[/quote]
Many of the STH volunteers may also work for PwC. They employ over 22,000 in the UK, so feasible that some of their consultants used for this engagement may also be STH at various clubs, Tigers included.
I doubt that all of their consultants are "witless" and their juniors are unlikely to be "expensive".
PwC are a global firm, and work closely with the government and NHS along with a plethora of private organisations. If they can assist with the return of the game we love in a form that we want, i.e. not behind closed doors, sooner rather than later, it may be a worthwhile investment.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

WirralExile wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:29 pm
[/quote]
Many of the STH volunteers may also work for PwC. They employ over 22,000 in the UK, so feasible that some of their consultants used for this engagement may also be STH at various clubs, Tigers included.
I doubt that all of their consultants are "witless" and their juniors are unlikely to be "expensive".
PwC are a global firm, and work closely with the government and NHS along with a plethora of private organisations. If they can assist with the return of the game we love in a form that we want, i.e. not behind closed doors, sooner rather than later, it may be a worthwhile investment.
[/quote]
Yep they have a great record. :smt017 One of the many:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 91356.html
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I'm not sure if the 4 year old story about the US firm (all of the PwC firms operate as independent limited liability partnerships - LLP) has any baring on how the UK firm will perform assisting PRL with the restart.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Look - it is easy to understand - just ask my taxi driver's aunt or was it sister's uncle, I forget, and he/she wil tell you what to do and unlike my wife - will be cheap.l
Hehehehehehehehe