Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Price Waterhouse hired for restart.

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 pm
WirralExile wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:29 pm
Or like Tigers could have done, they could convene the STH volunteers from the clubs (I suspect they could've just used Tigers STHs)who have real and appropriate legal, medical, logistics, organisational and managerial expertise and had a working group formed from them who would work with insight and alacrity to sort things out faster than PWC can delegate to a bunch of witless and exhorbitantly expensive juniors.
Many of the STH volunteers may also work for PwC. They employ over 22,000 in the UK, so feasible that some of their consultants used for this engagement may also be STH at various clubs, Tigers included.
I doubt that all of their consultants are "witless" and their juniors are unlikely to be "expensive".
PwC are a global firm, and work closely with the government and NHS along with a plethora of private organisations. If they can assist with the return of the game we love in a form that we want, i.e. not behind closed doors, sooner rather than later, it may be a worthwhile investment.
[/quote]
Yep they have a great record. :smt017 One of the many:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 91356.html
[/quote]

Yet their 2020 audit clients include Goldman Sachs, IBM, Dell, Caterpillar and Walt Disney. Plenty of shareholders went after auditors following the various banking scandals at the end of the last decade. A lot of the audit firms chose to settle out of court rather than argue their case in front or a jury who would have to be educated about international auditing standards during the case (far easier to argue to prosecute than explain why technically you were right). For the case you mention it was settled out of court last year for 335m not the 5.5bn demanded.

PwC are the world's biggest financial services firm. You don't get there by accident. PRL want the services because at a time like this you don't want to be accused of not taking appropriate steps.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

You heard it here first. It will be a very expensive half-assed report largely unimplemented or ignored. We'll see.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 pm You heard it here first. It will be a very expensive half-assed report largely unimplemented or ignored. We'll see.
Just a thought, I wonder how people on this forum, who may work as a Management Consultant, for PwC or any other Consultancy firm would take your view on the quality of their work? They have been described as "witless" and "expensive juniors" and now their product and deliverable would be an "expensive half-assed report". All organisations use blended teams of experienced and junior team members so as to provide relevant on the job training. This is not unique to Management Consultancies. I have no idea what your chosen career is or was, but I am sure that you wouldn't like to read criticism of the industry you may operate in now or the past.

The audit work and management consultancy work that the professional services firms do goes largely unnoticed. Yes, there will always be the odd issue that hits the press, but there is far, far more work going on behind the scenes in public and private organisations that people simply don't know about.

I am willing to give PwC the opportunity to consult and advise on how we can get the game restarted in a form we love as soon as feasibly and safely as possible.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

WirralExile wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:10 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 pm You heard it here first. It will be a very expensive half-assed report largely unimplemented or ignored. We'll see.
Just a thought, I wonder how people on this forum, who may work as a Management Consultant, for PwC or any other Consultancy firm would take your view on the quality of their work? They have been described as "witless" and "expensive juniors" and now their product and deliverable would be an "expensive half-assed report". All organisations use blended teams of experienced and junior team members so as to provide relevant on the job training. This is not unique to Management Consultancies. I have no idea what your chosen career is or was, but I am sure that you wouldn't like to read criticism of the industry you may operate in now or the past.

The audit work and management consultancy work that the professional services firms do goes largely unnoticed. Yes, there will always be the odd issue that hits the press, but there is far, far more work going on behind the scenes in public and private organisations that people simply don't know about.

I am willing to give PwC the opportunity to consult and advise on how we can get the game restarted in a form we love as soon as feasibly and safely as possible.
Sorry, I read Private Eye, which often features the extravagant adventures of the Big Four accountancy empires. I am enthused by the work of Deloittes in the COVID19 crisis and the work of all 4 including PWC in the demise of Carillion - on 13 February 2018, the Big Four were described by MP and chair of the Work and Pensions Select Committee Frank Field as "feasting on what was soon to become a carcass" after collecting fees of £72m for Carillion work during the years leading up to its collapse (A 2019 analysis by PCAOB in the United States observed that the Big Four accounting firms bungled almost 31% of their audits since 2009).
I do not want one of the Big Four "feasting on ...the carcass" of the sport I love. We will see.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So who will pay for the consultation? Directly not the ones who commissioned it - indirectly who? The TV companies? The supporters?
And meanwhile the players are taking pay cuts ( Exempting B.Bears ) The clubs are losing money. And common sense has flown out the triple glazed whole that lets light in.
A one metre plus rule that works for only small sections of the wider economy. If the government said ONE METRE then surely grounds could open. If its about players going into phase two+++
Then that's a differing argument.